The US President is intelligent and articulate

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by it5five, Sep 21, 2007.

1. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I get what he was trying to say, but it was very poorly worded.

And ironic since Mandela hates him, as do the Mandelas in this country.

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

You think? I suspect he just didn't know what he was saying…
    remember: George W Bush truly is a moron.

Sigh… I guess that screws up my chances of a hassle free entry into the US next month…:rolleyes:

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Don't worry, most of us hate him too. Just don't say anything at the airport and don't wear a turban. Sadly, I'm not joking.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

He rarely knows what the words mean and when he gets something right, he always seems to have that silly grin.

6. it5five thread starter macrumors 65816

it5five

I hate that grin. It's so ****ing smug-like. I always want someone to go punch him in the face when he does that.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

As with everything else, it's like when the 5 year old does something right. "Hey mom! See? I did it." You can't blame him for being proud of being able to say new words. Most 5 year olds are.

8. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Maybe he was planning on whacking Mandela for not supporting the war, but forgot they had not got around to it yet. Or, maybe the plan was to do it and frame SH, but he bolted too quick. Better hide for a few months, Nelson. :cool:

I am joking, of course.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What a twat! Where's Swarmlord to tell us (a) we're all afraid of Bush because he's so smart and (b) he's in the top 50% of US Presidents? Must be too busy running his two Fortune 500 corporations, I suppose.

10. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

The answer itself wasn't bad, but the wording of it was awful.

Iraq really does need a unifying character such as Mandela (who, by the way, sent South African troops into Lesotho, a sovereign nation, when the election results didn't suit him)...

11. astrostu macrumors 6502

I like the comment my officemate said awhile ago: "Doesn't he have handlers? He needs new ones."

12. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

y'know, as a rule i generally like youse guys. Why does he keep pulling this stuff and give the rest of you a bad name? I read 'harper's', the 'utne reader' and a ton of other great 'merican publications, but heck, this guy is disturbing. Can't you do something about him already?:mad:

13. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Put your average American on a podium in front of millions of people, and I don't think they'd fair much better. Isn't that what the American voters want? Aren't candidates who come off as "too intellectual" at a disadvantage compared to someone who comes off as a "good ol' boy" or "like one of us" in public perception? It seems to me some of the criteria for successful candidacy are also criteria for mediocrity.

14. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

What the he** are you saying; talking like an idiot is truthful and should be a positive trait in the leader of the American people? I really hope that is not what you mean. The President is not suppose to be "your average American". He is the person who has gone through an extensive process to lead our Country. You tracking with me so far? Well, this buffoon does not demonstrate the wherewithal to lead a buy scout troop.

Now, that is what I call turning a dog turd into a diamond. Your post completely defies any associative logic. Do you even bother to read/watch the things you post about? If you do.....:eek:

15. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Allow me to highlight what you seem to have missed.

*not me
    **again, not me

(The American voters seem to want someone they can relate to.)

16. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

The answer is NO, except for those who are not smart enough to understand the difference. If I wanted Homer Simpson to run the country, that is who I would have voted for. Actually, it would be an improvement.

17. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

You may feel that way, but many American voters DO seem to want someone they can relate to. Consider Al Gore vs. President Bush, and how Gore was considered stiff and uncharismatic. Nixon vs. JFK and how radio listeners percieved Nixon in comparison to how TV viewers did.

Consider how candidates do outrageous things to seem "cool" or "down to earth" like John Kerry windsurfing, or appealling to a sense of religious faith or family life, etc.

18. it5five thread starter macrumors 65816

it5five

People like me or you do not look for those attributes in a President, but surely you must remember people saying things like, "Bush seems like someone I could have a beer with" or other stupid things like that?

The right-wing has waged a war on intellectuals in this country, and they seemed to have succeeded. Like I said, and what I am almost sure Iscariot is saying, is that informed people that are interested in politics (ie: everyone that posts in the PRSI subforum) don't look for an "average" guy to be a President, but the majority of uninformed American voters do, which is why we have a failure like Bush in office.

19. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Spot on. My point was "considering the values held average voter, why is it surprising?". Charismatic or relatable individuals from both parties are chosen over intellectuals. I think the feeling is that if they relate to their elected officials, there's a greater chance that official will accurately represent their constituents. They don't want a bookish honours Harvard grad, they want a guy, as you said, that they could have a beer with*.

*I want someone who enjoys good gin :p

20. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I've never met Dubya, but know people who have. I did see one televised debate when he ran for his second term for governor.

The man apparently just cannot do well in front of large groups of people, or in front of a camera. Everything I've ever heard about him in one-on-one type situations indicates he's reasonably articulate. The TV debate I watched was one-on-one with Garry Mauro, and a moderator; informal setting. Dubya definitely did much better than Mauro.

Stage firght? Mike fright? Damfino. He's certainly been the poorest at public speaking of any of our presidents, these last sixty-some years.

'Rat

21. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Maybe he is not a good liar, which he is doing every time he speaks?

22. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

I hope you don't believe Bush came up with that.

It was "borrowed" from Ambassador Crocker's report on Sept. 10.

Crocker said:

"No Nelson Mandela existed to emerge on the national political scene; anyone with his leadership talents would not have survived."

Bush is just embarrassing.

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

If that is how Bush absorbs and regurgitates information, it's no wonder he's considered a moron. He is.

Saw Bill Clinton on The Daily Show just last night, and the old boy still comes across as informed, polished, articulate. The difference is like night and day.

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You beat me to it. Clinton was a Rhodes Scholar and somehow managed to be elected president twice. I'm getting pretty tired of hearing how George Bush has become emblematic of the intellect of the American people.

25. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I saw former President Clinton at a Costco book signing couple year's back. You would not believe the line of people who were queueing up at 6AM (3 hours before the store opening). I had my laptop and just worked while waiting. There were well over 1000 people which went through the line. President Clinton has unbelievable charisma. He also has a great deal of love from the majority of the American people. It is no wonder that the neocons hated him so much, and desperately tried to remove him from office.

When it was my turn, he offered his hand and said, "Thanks for coming.." and you immediately replied, "Steve". Then he wrote, "To my friend Steve, My Warmest Regards, Bill". As he handed it back, he looked you directly in the eyes, with a warm smile on his face, and you knew that for just the briefest moment in time, you had shared a friend's relationship.

If you put Clinton and Bush next to each other, Clinton looks and personifies the essence of a President. Bush looks, and talks, like his chauffeur. :D