The USA is at it again... with CISPA

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MorphingDragon, Apr 7, 2012.

1. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Are they trying to one up the UK? I don't even...

http://www.firstpost.com/tech/introducing-cispa-bigger-and-badder-than-sopa-268824.html

2. eric/ Guest

eric/

I actually called my representatives, sent emails, etc... about SOPA/PIPA. Looks like I'm going to have to do that again.

Why doesn't the government just get it? We don't want anybody monitoring us. Leave the citizens the hell alone.

3. MorphingDragon thread starter macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

The USA hasn' t been Capitalist for a nearly a decade now. Facism seems to be the tune to which the drummer plays...

4. wpotere Guest

That, my friend, will never happen, insider threat is all too real.

5. Fazzy macrumors 6502

In other news, sales of tinfoil hats are soaring.

6. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Unfortunately the sale of glasses seems to be falling :rolleyes:.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

In favour of drinking straight from the bottle. ;)

8. /user/me macrumors 6502

9. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Pass or don't, don't matter. Internet regulation is coming sooner or later and the generation after us will be savvy enough to use VPNs or tor or whatever comes next.

10. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

11. wpotere Guest

LOL, you can run but you can't hide. Many companies are already collecting massive amounts of data on you and likely know more about you than you think. Just because you are savvy enough to add a little security doesn't mean that they aren't savvy enough to higher someone that is capable of making you look like an internet n00b.

12. eric/ Guest

eric/

With that kind of mentality, you're right.

13. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Fallacy

14. eric/ Guest

eric/

Nope. Wrong use of the term anyway.

But yeah, defeatist mentality. That's just bad in general.

15. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I have to agree, the "common man" is certainly at a dis-advantage these days (maybe more then ever).

But for the time being I think we may have some opportunities (largely provided by the internet) to fight back against increasing corporatism in governance.

Wishful thinking perhaps but that's better than assuming we've already lost.

16. MorphingDragon thread starter macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

You mean just like ACTA?

Oops.

17. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

A funny thing happened on the way to Utopia...

For better or worse, ACTA, SOPA, PIPA, etc. all are a natural progression of the Knowledge Based Economy. The knowledge behind the product has become more important than the (material) product itself. Barring a global economic meltdown, global thermonuclear war, or global social revolution the world will likely see more and more measures introduced/enacted that are designed to protect intellectual properties (IP) simply because IP=money and money drives the civilized world.

CISPA isn't about IP, but it is about controlling knowledge. Since no one willingly gives up power, things like CISPA are quite likely the shape of things to come...

A few decades ago, the Technology Revolution seemed to offer humankind hope for a better future. Today, there are more and more signs it may be our undoing...

18. MorphingDragon, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012

MorphingDragon thread starter macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I disagree, ACTA etc are not natural progressions of a Knowledge based economy, for these progressions are Fascist and not the product of free market Capitalism or Democracy.

The comparison is still apt, they are all damaging bills under false pretences that mocks Democractic processes brought about by a toxic political/economic model. They all run along the theme of control by corporation and by government.

The attempts will fail... eventually, Capitalism cannot survive in an information based economy. Information is infinite.

Overzealous protection of IP and information will be our undoing, not technology. Information is not devalued by being in the hands of the many, only its applications are. A Marxist model or true free market capitalism for distribution of information is the only way to ensure Information stays accessible but still allows application of knowledge and sale of said applications. Just because something does not physically exist doesn't mean it can't be applied to the concepts of supply and demand. We do not need these bills, we have more than suitable tools already. Information operates in the same capitalist system that these corporations do. Do not forget that.

19. eric/ Guest

eric/

Expert post. Glad somebody else has come to this realization.

20. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Of course it's Fascist. Corporatism is the new Fascism. Free market capitalism and democracy are dead. The world is ruled by corporate greed.

21. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

From another forum I posted this article.

22. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Well stated. Since it's not an economy of words that restricts a thread title to "The USA...," or "Arizona," or "the south," or "conservatives," it maybes you wonder why that choice is made daily, hourly, in the PRSI. And then you remember the group(s) that does relish in stereotyping.

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The OP compared the behaviour of "the USA" with the behaviour of "the UK", so his terminology was at least even-handed.

24. MorphingDragon, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012

MorphingDragon thread starter macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Blanket statement everyone equally.

:D

25. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I guess our browsers render the OP thread titles differently.