The US's most trusted news source is...... Fox News

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Eraserhead, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'm sorry, its another another Fox News thread.

(source)

The brainwashing continues.

2. Shivetya macrumors 65816

You didn't think they would try to claim MSNBC was do you?

If you ignore the talk show portions the news section ain't bad, but I do all my news gathering online and honestly the fox site is just a mess. I use google news and drudge instead to see stuff now.

but for broadcast, cnn and msnbc lost any rights to credibility fighting over who gets to suck off the Administration

3. Eraserhead thread starter macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I thought CNN would probably win, or maybe BBC World News if you have it in the US.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I dont Trust Fox at all, if they have to tell you every day they are fair you can bet they arent, if they tell you balanced then you should know they are not and unafraid? The party at least this past decade has been made up of draft dodgers who all ran the other way when it was their turn to serve. Just do a republican look up of draft dodgers and all the stars of the republicans pop up. I could start listing these but whats the point? From Bush/Cheney to Limbaugh and O'rielly. Just Lots of Lies and Spin coming from Fox hence I dont watch anymore.

5. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

That is really frightening. mkrishnan posted or tweeted a link recently about the power of propaganda. It pointed out that even when lies are eventually revealed to be lies, the damage had been done and opinions didn't change much. In addition that people will often listen to other people rather than the evidence that is right before their eyes. Study or no study, I believe that to be true. A lot of people are very easily influenced. So yeah, it's really frightening to think that FOX news is "the most trusted" new source.

6. Eraserhead thread starter macrumors G4

Eraserhead

This is sig-worthy.

I completely agree, and its practically a universal truth.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

That concept is worthy enough for skunk's signature: "The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted the spoons." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Just like any country that has democratic or People's in its name, like DDR (East Germany) or North Korea.

It's a sad day that more Americans are willing to believe lies and propaganda than real journalism.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Honestly, I'm beginning to think it's time to leave the country. We tried, and the American people like being stupid. They most likely will only get more stupid.

11. Eraserhead thread starter macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It's not just countries. If someone set up a company called "Honest taxis" with a brand new Mercedes and they had a competitor called "Dodgy taxis" with a 10 year old Ford Fiesta I'd probably take the latter.

12. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

I've been saying this for years; now the evidence is universal. No surprise that our president continues his war against that media which Americans trust...

Anyone care to legitimately list their genuine objections to Fox News and have a reasonable discussion on why they dislike the network?

13. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Just because (some sadly misguided) people trust it, doesn't make it an unbiased and truthful source for news. Media and propaganda have a huge impact on people regardless of accuracy.

LOL. Reasonable discussion? With you?

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Actually, the numbers make sense and aren't some big victory for Faux News.

The country is a pretty even 50/50 split between liberals and conservatives. Approximately half of Americans think Fixed News is trustworthy. That's your half conservatives. Then the liberals are split among the (slightly more) liberal networks, CNN, ABC, CBS and NBC.

If there was another right wing propaganda outlet like Faux, their numbers would be split. Likewise, if, say Faux and NBC were the only two media outlets that existed, they both would be at around 50% trustworthiness.

In short, these numbers are about as useless as Faux itself.

15. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

This is what my dad was saying 20 years ago, although he had already left. He won't come back either. I'm sure there are plenty of people who will say 'good riddance' ... c'est la vie.

16. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I agree with the "...only get more stupid" part. I see this every day in dealing with the general public (my customer base). I always think back to the movie "Idiocracy" and think of how frighteningly accurate it may depict our future. I've been seriously looking for other countries to move to for the past few years now.

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I think it is a little more than just that.
    The liberals have a lot less faith in the media in general. Lets face it the media is a lieing sack of crap and we all know it. They leave out key piece of information or give false/ miss leading headlines and so on.

Well consider the liberals feel that about the media in general all medias are going to take a hit of mistrust from them. Conservatives tend to be more trusting of the media and mix that with a more conservatives media source it is going to get a slight boost from it so that going to mean that fox will a higher rating. Liberal media out lights will not get any boost from the liberals and get a double wammy on its rating. Middle of the road medias do not gain much either.

For my proof and case and point please look to InthNet. He will blindly follow and believe Fox News but then look at the more liberal people here or moderate people. They question the news source from everyone and also look past the surface and see sometimes what is just bs head lines.

CNN may be more honest than Fox news but CNN still full of only 1/2 truth and twisted truths so it is not saying much at all. Truth is they both suck.

18. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

This is part of the reason why FoxNews has higher trustworthy ratings. They spend a portion of their time, including all of their logos, touting how fair, balanced and trustworthy they are. Those on the right constantly bash the "liberal media" and claim "media bias" in order to attempt to sway opinion away from the direction things are moving.

This isn't the first time a political party has claimed media bias. It's a political tool, not necessarily a statement of fact.

FoxNews just takes media bias and made it into a job requirement and show characteristic.

I do have one question for those on the right. Which is more likely: that ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, CNNHLN, NPR, BBC, BBCA, most local stations, the internet, etc... are all part of some HUGE liberal media conspiracy, or that FOXNews is owned by a very conservative man who hires only conservatives to work on his conservative biased "news" channel?

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You are an American.

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think we pick some warm, fairly urban city somewhere, and organize the colonization by internet meme, so that the silly people don't get invited. :p

Seriously... 30% of Democrats trust Fox? Who are these Democrats?

Although, once again, I throw my view in: I think that television-based news has always been generally inferior to written news. I don't use the TV for news, aside from occasionally wanting to see live footage of something or an interview with someone.

21. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Sorry to go to Wikipedia, but it was an easy, quick reference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_bias

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I really only want to hear bad news anyways, if Bush and the repubs are in power I would trust CNN over Fox to give me the bad news, while the dems are in I know that fox isn't going to skip out on presenting bad news to me.

23. Eraserhead thread starter macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Agreed.

That is an interesting point.

24. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Even if the 'bad news' isn't 100% accurate?

25. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I was thinking similarly. I could post how Fox News fits under the strict ideals of propaganda, using a mixture of white, grey, and black propaganda. Or the study that Bill O'Reilly uses 6 of the 7 strictures of propaganda every 6 minutes on his show. Or how Fox News uses pretexting and manufactures consent, and what I get back would be a long-drawn out "nu uh!"

The Fuzzy Onion deserves some credit for becoming so Janus-faced that it's able to both report the news in the morning and then create it at night. It's actually remarkable.