The Vaporware Presidency

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Yep to all of this.

…Whatever its motivations, the Trump presidency has been bloated with vaporware. And much of it came pre-installed.

The big one, of course, is The Wall That Mexico Is Going to Pay For. We’re halfway through the Trump administration and there is no wall. Instead, the president is getting ready for a kabuki fight with Democrats in the lame-duck Congress over funding for construction of a wall that will never be granted. You can bet the milk money that after he fails to get Dems to agree to pay for The Wall That Mexico Was Supposed to Pay For, construction will be punted until the 2020 election. At which point Trump will try to sell voters on the idea that they need to re-elect him to “finish the wall” that was never started in the first place.

Other bits of Trump's vaporware are, as they say in the tech world, no longer being supported. Remember when Trump talked endlessly about how his “infrastructure plan” could top the $1 trillion mark? Not only did he never get this plan turned into law, he never even turned his “plan” into an actual plan. I doubt you'll ever hear about it again. Ditto the death penalty Trump wanted to impose for drug dealers. And the voter fraud commission that was going to prove that, actually, Trump really did win the popular vote in 2016.

My personal favorite bit of Trump vaporware was the president’s announcement that he was going to end birthright citizenship via executive order. There was, as you may recall, quite a kerfuffle about this ridiculous proposal. Some people argued that not only could Trump do away with birthright citizenship with a stroke of his pen, but that he must do so, because it was a critical step for defending our nation state.

And then a week or so later, suddenly the entire topic of birthright citizenship was just . . . gone. Trump stopped talking about it. Trump supporters seemed to forget about it. And the people who had rushed out to argue how crucial it was that Trump end it were suddenly on to the next thing.

But the most consequential piece of vaporware is probably Trump’s Red Wave. The president spent months claiming that, despite all available evidence, there was going to be a “Red Wave” in the midterm elections:

Like the military parade, the Red Wave was abruptly canceled. And like the military parade, Trump will eventually tell his supporters that the real Red Wave is coming next election.

Some of them might even believe him.

https://www.weeklystandard.com/jonathan-v-last/donald-trump-is-the-vaporware-president?_amp=true&__twitter_impression=true

Strider64

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
The Wall was a stupid idea in the first place, for it just a waste of taxpayers money. Better enforcement of immigration laws and technology (drones, high-tech surveillance cameras, etc...) put along the border to help with the enforcement of those laws would had been better. However, Trump just like any other politician was just playing up to his base in order to get elected. Build a wall and all they are going to do is build a bigger ladder or dig a little deeper.

Reactions: Huntn and hulugu

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Well, Trump has followed through on some of his campaign promises.

It's just he's done stupid, spiteful, ultimately dangerous things.

Like moving the US Embassy to Jerusalem. Walked away from the TPP. Walked away from the Iran Nuclear Accord. Banned travelers from a half-dozen Muslim countries.

Reactions: hulugu

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
Paper tiger Trump.
Like Obama's paper tiger legacy that's all but been destroyed? Kinda like that?

If I cared enough (read: I don't) I could assemble a list of Obama's vaporware promises. You know 'if you like your doctor you can keep him/her'... Yeah, kinda like that...

:D

Sydde

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
It is not actually vaporware. Rather, it is the cape that he waves in front of the sexy assistant. It is the verbal/political equivalent of prestidigitation. All meaningless noise intended to distract us from the chicanery that is going on inside the executive agencies. America is being sold off to the highest bidder while we, the magpies, are fixated on shiny objects.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Like Obama's paper tiger legacy that's all but been destroyed? Kinda like that?

If I cared enough (read: I don't) I could assemble a list of Obama's vaporware promises. You know 'if you like your doctor you can keep him/her'... Yeah, kinda like that...

:D
Wow - right to the one and only instance of Obama's "lies" that gets regurgitated. You just made me chuckle.

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
Wow - right to the one and only instance of Obama's "lies" that gets regurgitated. You just made me chuckle.
The bolded did give me a chuckle as well....

Benghazi was because of youtube... Anyone who thinks Russia could influence the election needs to shut up and focus on getting votes. (can't remember his exact words but....) Blah, blah...

The point is they all lie and make up vaporware.. Pretend they don't if it helps you hate Trump more I guess....

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The bolded did give me a chuckle as well....

Benghazi was because of youtube... Anyone who thinks Russia could influence the election needs to shut up and focus on getting votes. Blah, blah...

The point is they all lie and make up vaporware.. Pretend they don't if it makes you hate Trump more I guess....
I didn't remotely say it was how only lie. I said the one that always gets used. cliché

Reactions: hulugu

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
So you want Trump to be a dictator and abolish congress? He did what he said he would and it went up for a vote.. The wall (a stupid idea - sure) is similar.. Unless you want him to hold congress at gunpoint via military action and force their vote, he has no control over them at all...
Your comments are directed at the wrong person. You should be at the White House explaining this to Trump

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
Your comments are directed at the wrong person. You should be at the White House explaining this to Trump
All Presidents (some more than others) put forward their campaign promises to congress. If congress does not pass them you can't blame the president.. The one thing I'll give Trump credit for is that unlike past presidents (not directed at any party) he is keeping to his promises... If congress does not pass them, that's not on him...

As far as infrastructure goes, I'll wait and see as the man has only been in office for 2 years and all of that has been obstruct, obstruct, obstruct by the other side.. Many things still take 60 votes in the senate to pass and not a single (D) would vote for anything......

Last edited:

kobalap

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2009
So you want Trump to be a dictator and abolish congress? He did what he said he would and it went up for a vote.. The wall (a stupid idea - sure) is similar.. Unless you want him to hold congress at gunpoint via military action and force their vote, he has no control over them at all...
i must be in the wrong thread. I thought this one was about all the big promises Trump made that hadn’t come to fruition.

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
i must be in the wrong thread. I thought this one was about all the big promises Trump made that hadn’t come to fruition.
Were you looking for the one-sided thread that holds Trump accountable for everything congress fails to enact? Not sure that one exists yet, but give it a day or so....

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
Were you looking for the one-sided thread that holds Trump accountable for everything congress fails to enact? Not sure that one exists yet, but give it a day or so....
But that's substantiates the vaporware argument even more - his party controlled both houses of Congress for his first two years in office.

But don't worry folks, we'll still be getting the 10% middle class tax cut and the protection for people with pre-existing conditions that were promised right before the mid-term elections. NOT !!

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
But that's substantiates the vaporware argument even more - his party controlled both houses of Congress for his first two years in office.!
So tell me how you are suppose to get 60 votes when you only had 51 and the other side would vote for nothing and is in obstruct, obstruct, obstruct mode...

Reactions: mgguy

kobalap

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2009
So tell me how you are suppose to get 60 votes when you only had 51 and the other side would vote for nothing and is in obstruct, obstruct, obstruct mode...
You don’t need 60 votes to pass something in the senate. You need 51. You don’t need 60 people to agree with you. You need 51 people + 9 more that will agree not to participate in a filibuster.

But to answer your question, the way it is done is you reach across the aisles and you work to find common ground. It is called diplomacy. It is called statesmanship.

It is painful to work together with people who disagree with you as it usually requires compromise. I requires civility. It requires a temperament of putting country ahead of party. All qualities that your hero Trump lacks.
[doublepost=1542241594][/doublepost]
Nope. Just reading the thread title and the original post. It seemed to me that big/beautiful healthcare that we were all promised was a glaring omission from the vapor ware list.

No need to be so butt hurt. I didn’t start the thread.