The video the Pope included in his iPad

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Habakuk, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Habakuk macrumors 6502a

2. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Yes. They are doing this to bait the younger generation into interest. More attempts to keep the brainwashing alive in an age where information enlightens and millions are freed from the blind
    Faith pushed down by parents.

3. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Careful where you take this threat or it will need to me shifted to the Politics, Religion, Social Issues sub-forum.

4. PatrickCocoa macrumors 6502a

Without commenting on any Politics, Religion, or Social Issues, just a note on your numbers. If you free millions, then there are still billions left who have not been freed:
    Religion A: 2.1 billion
    Religion B: 1.5 billion
    Religion C: 0.9 billion

For example, 2.1 billion less 10 million freed is: 2.1 billion (with rounding).

5. h00ligan macrumors 68030

True but defection from ideology is nonlinear.

6. h00ligan macrumors 68030

7. Cuthbert macrumors regular

Good for Pope Benedict. His skills on the iPad could use a little work, but I for one think this is great.

On a side note, it never ceases to amaze me how bitter some people are when ever a topic that includes the Catholic Church is brought up. It is made up of fallible humans just like you and me.

8. Genocide macrumors member

Quite a rude and unnecessary comment that will most likely offend many people in these forums. Please provide your opinions of religion on another website that is related to such a topic.

9. h00ligan macrumors 68030

The topic should have been started in the religion section to begin with. How is it news that an old man barely uses an iPad?

I'd also point out that it is offensive to many that this is considered news or something positive.

10. Genocide macrumors member

You find it offensive that a religious leader is in the news? I'm sorry but if you think that then you are overly sensitive. You committed slander towards a certain religion where as the news reported an important figure making a breakthrough in his use of technology, something that does not happen often.

I fail to see how you could be offended by this.

11. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

I support h00ligan and agree with his posts. Good job. Atheist I presume? Likewise am I :)

12. Genocide macrumors member

As am I, yet I see no reason why he has to slander a religion solely because he is not a part of it.

13. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

14. h00ligan macrumors 68030

A) it's not slander if it's written
    B) an opinion isn't libel.

To answer an above question, I don't see why I can't have an opinion on a religion of which I am no part. Pople express disdain for things seen as harmful every day around here, look at the gendercide thread.

@cuthbrt, you answered your own comment, it shouldnt amaze you given..rather than in spite of.

15. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

While the original post by h00ligan could've been a little less on the offensive side, I agree with the movement of this thread to Religion, etc.

16. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Does someone need a hug? Would you like to discuss your feelings over tea? I'll even cover the bill.

17. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

An opinion can sometimes be defamatory (defamation laws are weird and vary greatly, even between US states. Although opinion can be a defence some places make it very narrow and hard to claim). But normally you can't defame a large group, like a whole religion. So on that note...

I'm surprised the Catholic Church have even heard of iPads as they are so behind the times! I expect you are right, the Pope is trying to get young people interested in the church. We all know how much the Catholic Church likes kids. :D

18. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

That's about as ignorant a statement as I've ever heard.

That's akin to saying we all know how much Muslims like bombs, or we all know how much Jews like money.

It's sad that a whole branch of people should be dragged through the mud because of the behaviour of a bad group of individuals within that religion or school of thought.

19. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Why? :confused:
    Have you never heard of the Jesuit saying:
    "Give me the child until the age of seven and I will give you the man"
    The Catholic Church likes them young.

20. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

What you are doing there is distorting the previous quote's clear insinuation.

21. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

The Catholic Church is an organisation. As an organisation they have had a major problem with children and abuse, and as an organisation they have, on many occasions, tried to cover it up and deal with it internally. That is quite different to describing the followers, which is what your two examples are doing.