The virtual revolution

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bruleke, Sep 11, 2011.

1. bruleke macrumors 6502

bruleke

Has anybody seen the documentary from BBC called "The virtual revolution"?

I havent, but I know its about how people's habits changed through the years since internet became something more than essential in our lives.

People are making friends on the internet and spend more time connect with them than going out for a real face to face experience.

I can say that I've spent so much time at home, in the internet, that I clearly see these effects in my life. Nowadays I prefer to stay home and watch a movie, order some fast food (I am not fat, I exercise and swim) than go out and face all the problems out there (traffic jam, angry people, long lines at the movies, full restaurants etc).

Does anybody feels the same?
    Please, I dont believe people below 16 years old can understand since they grew up in a 'already internet moment of history'.

2. ender land macrumors 6502a

I see lots of casualties in my life.

--I don't read for fun anywhere near as much as I used to (though I'm getting an e-reader, maybe that'll change soon ;) ).
    --Facebook is nearly required to stay in touch with people my age (early twenties)
    --I hate waiting in any traffic at all
    --shopping is lame when you can just buy stuff online and have it arrive at your front step

And I won't watch a movie in theaters for a long while... but that might be because we created a mini-theater in our basement and it's a million times better to watch a movie there than in the theaters, because not only is it better quality sound (by orders of magnitude), but you can pause the movie, have a couch, eat/drink whatever you want, etc.

But this was all allowed by the internet, I spent a lot of hours researching speakers, etc, and was able to order and piece together a great system that I would have had a lot of trouble trying to do several years ago. Really even 20 years ago what I did would have required a ton more effort and I would have no where near the quality system we have (plus the hd projector probably wouldn't be there...) for the cost.

Being able to research products also allows some people the ability to really trade their time for savings in cost and other things as well.

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Stalking has become more enriching for me. I save on gas,phone calls etc.

The internet gotta love it !

4. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

I love what the internet has done. It's allowed be to make my friends closer because it is so much easier for me to talk to them online than in real life.