The War on Christmas

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Meister, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Meister Suspended

Meister

2. Happybunny macrumors 68000

From your own neck of the woods.

christmas in Germany

So yes the the spirit of christmas lives on.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/6e6d...ugee-family-embraces-christmas-spirit-germany[/QUOTE]

3. sim667 macrumors 65816

The headline and the article don't match

The principle hasn't banned anything, she's just following the directive.

4. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

6. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I'm a bit confused, mostly due to a lack of Jewish and/or Muslim background. Are the menorah and star and crescent considered religious symbols or incidental icons of the season. I'd consider the Christmas tree and dreidel to be equivalents, but I'm not sure about the other two.

As for the kinara, the explanation I was given is that Kwanzaa is a secular holiday made for celebrants of a singular racial background (and thus, unlike convert-accepting religions, unavailable to those who may wish to affiliate). That strikes me as more exclusive than any other prohibited element. Unless they include my Festivus pole.

7. tgara, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015

tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

No, read it again. The directive PERMITS these things but not images of deities, religious texts, etc. The complete removal of Santa, Thanksgiving, the Pledge, etc. are all the doing of this new principal.

Santa is a deity now? And what's with the book collection and trashing?

More PC run amok.

8. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Christmas is definitely an underplayed festival. I bet there are plenty of Christmas decorations in Japan...

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I told you guys the Republicans can govern. Just more BS, wasted time and money and failure to actually get anything done. When will they be proposing the Support for Ramadan and Support for Yom Kippor bills?

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/263180-gop-lawmakers-push-christmas-resolution

11. sim667 macrumors 65816

Santa is based on a saint isn't he?

12. lowendlinux, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015

lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Probably but that's grasping a bit, Santa is pretty non-religious.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

14. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

He couldn't be a saint. He is a crook.

How can his elves make an Xbox, playstation, or iPhone with the branding... I am pretty sure counterfeiting is illegal. He is at the North Pole running an elven sweatshop and I am pretty sure the north pole does not fall under any countries jurisdiction.

15. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

This is definitely YOUR opinion. It is sad these things need protecting. We have come to a place where people come to the U.S. and force their crap on us while taking away ours. The U.S has celebrated Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc for too long for people to come and take it away. I, for one, am tired of it. I will tell people Marry Christmas, Happy Thanksgiving, etc. If they don't like and it hurts there over sensitive feelings..to dang bad.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Who is trying to take away your holidays? Please be specific?

As for Marry Christmas, I guess gay marriage was a slippery slope. :rolleyes:

17. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Saying Merry Christmas is officially racist. More racist than than banning radical extremists into our country. Welcome to 2015.

18. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Read this topic and links in this thread. Didn't realize there was a coloration between gay marriage and Christmas.

19. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I like the war to keep religious indoctrination out of our government and public institutions. Santa is one big commercial exploit, kinda surprised that serious Christians are not protesting Santa as something that hijacks their most special religious day, so it would be better to get rid of him too. ;) Even though I don't care for how Thanksgiving is sold (the historical fabrication) I don't have a problem with hedging bets and a meal to give thanks to whatever force that moves you.

20. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I was going to say that she made the mistake of messing with the Church of Quarterly Earnings, but the article suggests some (possibly) wacky behavior. It's vague enough to just leave an impression, which may have been intentional. Anyway

I'll say it again since I haven't said it in a while. Christmas has nothing to do with Christianity from a historical perspective.

21. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Honestly, I'm sick of hearing the christian wackies claiming they invented Christmas. Christmas was a Pagan holiday first that got hijacked by the christians. End the christian war on paganism now.

22. dec. Suspended

dec.

I think it's over the top to ban "Merry Christmas" too. I don't really know anyone personally who is offended by it, most of us just use it was what it is, a simple phrase used by many without any further meaning but to wish each other a fun time at the end of the year. I'm actually planning on putting "Merry Christmas" in big letters on the non-"religious" Xmas cake that I'm baking!

Funny how the PC crowd is overreacting and demanding her to be fired and all the usual, pathetic "outrage" in the comment sections of several articles that have been stating that the school overturned her ban.

Edit: ""

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Don't endorse or ban anything. Let the parents and kids do what they will for the holidays. Pretty simple, the article states 95% are Asian, likely a good amount aren't Christian.

24. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Actually, the article states that 95% of the kids are Asian or Hispanic.

25. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

That's true but shouldn't they have written Latino instead of Hispanic. ****, I can't keep up anymore.