The War on Science- Guess who the culprit is...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iBlazed, Feb 18, 2015.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

The Right has turned science education into political football, and this is only the beginning. The future of our country is at stake here, this is extremely dangerous and very sad. Almost makes you wonder if they even like this country when they seemingly go out of their way to slowly destroy it. This needs to be reversed.
    Link

2. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

Meh.....Slow left wing news day?

3. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Of everything I posted in the last few days, this may be the most important. Funny you should comment, your state is a cesspool of creationism. One of the worst in the country so I understand if this thread touches a nerve.

4. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

...yeah.....good luck with that.

5. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Education is important, specially given where US education ranks to the rest of the world. When we allow mythology to compete with actual science, then that's a issue that needs to be addressed.

6. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

And here lies the problem. Thank you for kindly demonstrating it for us early in the thread.

7. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

Well.... being from Tennessee how would I know ...... To hear some tell it, we don't even
    have fire here yet let alone any type of education. We're to busy dragging our knuckles
    and picking fleas off each other to know any better.

.....but, by all means, do tell us how those liberal northern states have it all figured out.

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    While I agree with the subject, I can't help but question those numbers. I mean one quarter of Americans believe the sun revolves around the Earth? 61% refute the Big Bang?

What demographic are they pooling from? The Blue People of Kentucky?

9. Meister Suspended

Meister

25% is quite the low number considering that most people are morons.

10. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

I take it from you lack of actual substance regarding your replies that you can't debate any actual points about the actual subject.

11. Meister Suspended

Meister

The Big Bang is a fringe physics theory that hasn't been proven and is sorta hard to prove.
    I am also not sure why anyone would want someone else to believe in the Big Bang, unless they are trying to make some sort of religion out of it.

I do not believe either that the human species evolved from animals and I also don't see how this would be relevant for anything. I am from europe and I hold (believe it or not) several university degrees. None of these questions asked make any difference in my personal or professional life.

12. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

There's there's a difference between "25% of people are abject morons", and "25% of people apparently never went to school".

This anti-intellectual push we've been seeing is a relatively recent thing, and will only directly effect the post-millennial generation, which hardly makes up a full quarter of the population.

13. TimelessOne macrumors regular

To be fair on the big bang there are some valid theories that refute it and have different ways all of which are based in science. But this is in the realm of theoretical physics.

14. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Dude. Son. No. It's the current working model of the universe as we know it. Hardly what I'd call fringe physics.

15. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

....oh, well....ouch.

Feel better now?.... all puffed up like a Jay Bird.

Pleezze don't hurt us masta'....we're just simple folk down here.... you know, we're the
    ones that sent the men to the moon, we don't know no betta'...........

16. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

That would be more fringe theory. Though in relation to this survey, I remember being taught the Big Bang in 4th grade science, and I live in the Deep Dirty South. It's hardly what I'd consider an unknown concept among the general public.

17. Meister Suspended

Meister

Maybe bad choice of words on my part.
    Things like the Big Bang theory are extremely complicated and make assertions about things that supposedly happened billions of years ago. That makes them hard to prove, impossible to defend or critizise except for physicist who specialize in this topic and irrelevant for everyone else.

It is preposterous to argue about the extent and the validity of the theory of evolution or the BigBang theory, since 99.9999% of the human population have no real clue about either of those topics. So, as sad as it sounds it boils down to believing in it or not.

18. TimelessOne macrumors regular

Just was pointing it out. I been reading some interesting ones recently as it is an interest of mine.
    I will give you big bang theory is the basic model they teach in school but there are other valid theories running out there. Some based on dark matter, and dark energy. It stuff I find interesting.

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Right, but that's a bit of an aside. We're talking about the average person here, who, like you and I, were taught that the universe began with a big explosion from elementary school on.

If 61% of Americans refute this, it means they're actively denying what they've previously learned. I find that rather hard to believe.

20. Meister Suspended

Meister

Being told about it and believing in it are two different things altogether.
    Did you believe everything you were taught in school?
    I myself figured out pretty fast that teachers and schoolbooks tend to be full of doodoo.

I don't.
    I find it good that people are questioning what they are being taught.
    Also the big bang theory and the theory of evolution have no further implications on other sciences.
    They are not like literature, language, maths or even other parts of biology, chemistry and physics.
    They are sorta standalone concepts with no larger ramifications.

I am getting the impression that you were one of those kids that believed everything the adults were saying. ;)

21. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

[​IMG]

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What is your point?

23. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

It's a theory with supportive evidence, whether or not it's the right theory is still up for debate. Teaching the theory does not equate trying to make it some sort of religion. It's a scientific theory taught in a science classroom where it belongs. A theory proposed by a priest non the less. The purpose of a science class it to teach science. Given that us humans have been asking where we come from for as long as we have thought about it, it's extremely relevant, to the science environment. You're smart enough to understand this extremely basic mentality. It's irrelevant on whether or not you believe humans are a part of the tree of life, the science is real regardless of your beliefs. You can deny it all you want, facts are still facts. Just because it holds no relevance to your personal life is limited to you, you're just one of billions.

----------

Thank you for backing up my point that you can't add anything to the discussion.

24. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I gotta give you props for style, Astro.

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Jesla is smart enough not to refute, but to minimize the importance of such a report. I'd really like to see some comprehensive numbers, like have the number of creationists exploded in the last 40 years or are they just more organized and vocal today?

The sad thing is any country who tries to replace reasonable science with ancient superstitions, is going to end up where it philosophically deserves to be, at the bottom of technical heap. If you allow yourself to be blinded by folklore, you may think you are spiritual fulfilled, that is until it hits you in the pocketbook. ;)