The Weirdest Gray Screen Of Death I Have Ever Seen

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jamesmacpro85, Nov 19, 2008.

1. jamesmacpro85 macrumors newbie

Ok heres the deal and if anyone has a solution that would be terrific because i hate sending my stuff to apple

I have 2 mac pro editing systems we will call one A-system the other B-system
    I turned on A-system and I got the gray screen telling me to reboot so i did and did again, reset the p-ram all the basic things still didnt work, i then took the startup drive outta B-system and put it in A-system and the mac started up hmmmm, ok well then it is a corrupted drive , but heres the kicker i put the drive from A-system into B-system and it booted up!!! so wait then it isn't the drive or is it I put the original drive from A-system back into A-system and what do you know GRAY screen of death tellin me to reboot and I have not figured out what the problem is !!!!!

has this happened to anyone??
    does anyone know a solution? or anything else i can try ? because i do just like most everyone else hate sending stuff to apple

anything helps

thanks

james vincent

2. Catch Them macrumors regular

did you put in any extra memory to the A-System or change the graphics cards or firmware by chance?

id test by reseating the memory (swap slots) and try it again...otherwise test it with Apple Hardware Test to see if anything pops up.

If in fact it is a corrupted drive, you can try a Repair Disk method with your installer DVD or Diskwarrior.

i have a similar set up and havent ran into that myself. :confused:

3. jamesmacpro85 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok i tried the memory swap and same thing its so weird it sometimes goes to the gray screen telling me to restart and other times in tries to get there but the line only comes a third down and freezes ive tried putting in my install disk then turning it on but it wont read it it will always go to that gray screen is there a special command i have to do to make it boot from cd

4. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

yeah, hold down the C key after the chime/bong at the start.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If it still won't reboot from the disc, it's definitely hardware related. It could be a bad motherboard, since you've already tried the RAM swap. The RAM would have been my first guess.

However, have you tried removing pairs of RAM and then restarting?