The White House just let slip a big secret about firing Robert Mueller

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Apr 10, 2018.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Doing so would be an incredibly stupid thing to do. So yes, he probably will.

3. raqball macrumors 68000

If he does it, I think that will be the beginning of the end to his presidency.. I could be wrong as we do live in interesting times, but who knows.

4. SoggyCheese Suspended

SoggyCheese

We’ve already passed the beginning of the end. The Trump Admin is slowly falling to pieces in front of us.

5. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

6. Papanate macrumors 6502

Papanate

If he fires Mueller he'll be marking the end of his Presidency.
    It's not only crossing the line that Nixon also crossed - it's going
    to give The Repugnanats that dislike him the firepower to get rid
    of his legacy.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I think he should invite Mueller to dinner and eat some pudding while dropping some tomahawk missiles on Syria again.

8. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I think you mean Chocolate Cake.

9. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

IMO such a move by Trump would confirm that he needs to go, via impeachment and conviction or by resignation.

10. Raid, Apr 11, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2018

Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Oompa Loompa doompadee doo
    I've got another stanza for you
    Oompa Loompa doompa dah dee
    If you are wise you'll listen to me
    Departures are fine when it's once in a while
    It lets in new people giving life to old files
    But's it's a warning that somethings gone wrong
    When staffers are lea-ving in throngs
    The way a pack of rats does
    Oompa Loompa do-ba-dee-da,
    Given a chance they will run far.
    and will live in happiness too,
    Like the oompa loompa do-ba-dee-doo!

11. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Yah if he fires the dude looking into the Russian contacts of his campaign staff, then even if he's not the target at that moment of Mueller's inquiry, he will have interfered with the prosecution of campaign finance violations by other people. That is an impeachable offense that would be hard for even the GOP-majority House to ignore (not that they might not give it the old college try).

Trump should take advice of counsel and not fire Mueller. The longer he can stay in office, the longer he and his business empire (being handled conflict-free LOL by his kids) have to figure how to protect his assets later as a private citizen, since he may be looking at some state-level charges later on that Mike Pence cannot pardon him for.

The House may well turn blue in November, especially now that Ryan's said he's leaving and some of the Rs trying to primary GOP critters or replace retiring ones are so far to the right they'll lose to even moderate Dems never mind blue dogs. Maybe 50 seats are vulnerable to flipping because of the undercurrent of GOP dissatisfaction over the legislative record this year.

The Senate majority was already slim and not likely to widen appreciably at the polls in November. But after November comes January and the start of a new term. The Democrats might impeach Trump immediately or toy with him to get what they want out of ACA remediation first.

Either way Trump's reign seems imperiled more now, and he has burnt so many bridges with his own party. He does have one or two cards left to play with the Dems: one of them is the fact that Mike Pence's ideology is anathema to Democrats, so impeachment and removal of Trump might not be actually be their cup of tea. The other one is that once upon a time Trump himself was a Democrat, so... "let's make a deal" could start sounding good to him. Maybe he'd roll back a few of the rollbacks his first two years in office brought us via his EOs. If he can do that, and advocate for enabling legislation in Congress, maybe impeachment is off the table. I'd call that a motivation anyway ;)

Always a silver lining to every cloud I say. Trump may well be more of a hostage president after these midterms and a lot of that is his own fault for how he treated the other party, the one he nominally now leads but has alienated.

12. jerwin macrumors 68020

Two headlines from the New York Times. "Cute", I thought.

Screen Shot 7.png Screen Shot 8.png

Before Ryan announced his retirement, they were more or less side by side :)

13. raqball macrumors 68000

I think Rosenstein will get the axe and then whomever replaces him will maybe can Mueller. Trump can then claim some separation from the Mueller firing...

That route might be enough to save him. If he directly cans Mueller himself, I do think it's the beginning of the end..

14. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Can't wait for the smirks to leave Mitch's face.

This won't pass the smell test. If Rosenstein is canned and Mueller is fired by his replacement - it will stink to high heaven of obstruction and link directly to Trump. Trump has already implicated himself with his comments and tweets. He has no claim to innocence there. None.

15. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Remember the first photos of him after chatting with Trump post-inauguration... walking along smiling at the floor... imagining the repeal of ACA finally at hand... he knew Trump was a total mark but he had no idea what the downside of Trump is, i.e. the impulsivity that has driven them all mad in the GOP ever since.

16. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

It's pretty simple. If you fire someone who's in charge of making sure the investigation goes smoothly, you are guilty. There is no question.

If you are innocent why do you continue to try and impede the investigation??? Makes zero sense

17. JayMysterio, Apr 11, 2018

JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

No. So far from it, it's mind boggling that you'd even type that and seen a news article in the last 4 months.

Simply goggling "why would trump fire rosenstein" ( go ahead, just cut & paste, we'll still be here ) will show that's pretty well covered that his motivation is simply to place a proxy to fire Mueller. It's literally been well documented that that would be the reason for firing Rosenstein. With that, the optics look so bad, trying to claim no obstruction going on, is going to seem laughable to even Putin. The chorus of why can't a supposedly innocent guy let a bi partisan ( keep in mind, the guys 45 keeps firing are career republicans NOT democrats ) investigation finish is going to grow & grow.

Even better, firing Rosenstein to get someone else to fire Mueller, will actually NOT solve all his problems.

The fact that some can't see the fact that 45 tends to love the feds & justice department, ONLY when they aren't investigating him should send off massive flares to even the most gullible. FBI officials that Trump had no problem with earlier, he now suddenly has a problem with. What's a chorus we often hear when someone is shot by the police? "If he was innocent, why'd he run?" If 45 is innocent, why run from an investigation? Let it finish. It's being run mostly by republicans, if anything you'd think you'd hear the supposed 'hysterical' left screaming why a democratic official can't play a bigger role. But nope, the naive 'left' is counting on the system to do take it's proper course. A course history would show isn't always followed.

This is the part that fascinates me about people who support 45 and turn on the FBI or Justice Department. These men ( I want to include Yates but I don't know her party affiliation ) that 45 wants to fire ( with exception of the KKKeebler elf ) are all widely respected career republican government workers, while 45 himself is a well known businessman of dubious worth, who often doesn't pay bills, shafts people, exaggerates, a philanderer, who discovered religion conveniently late in his campaign. 45's supporters take his word over those men & women who pay lip service in respecting their work until now. That is friggin' mind blowing.

But hey, I'm sure 45's reasons for firing Rosenstein, will be as laughably rock solid as his reasons ( which he himself would contradict on television ), as his reasons for firing Comey.

So, no. The only persons believing that there is any kind of separation are the same sort who by MAGA products made in China.

I mean really this really didn't send off warning bells in the most gullible of minds, that this guy only wants to deal with the law if it's ONLY in his favor?

Yeaahhhhhh, that doesn't look like a guy constantly trying to find a way to hedge his bets, even if it makes him look shady as

Final capper that let's you know firing Rosenstein is a stupid idea... Nunes wants to impeach Rosenstein. When Nunes wants to get involved, you know you've taken a wrong turn to that ramp where the sharks jump at.

18. raqball, Apr 11, 2018

raqball macrumors 68000

Perhaps but it may give him enough distance with some to keep him in office while still getting rid of Mueller.

19. AsherN macrumors 6502

That worked so well for Nixon...

20. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Seriously Nunes is still loose in the streets? I'd have thought Ryan would have had someone throw a net over him by now, if only to have one less loose cannon to worry about for the rest of his term.

Nunes is like some ghastly clone of a cell from Trump's inner psyche.

Anyway this is more about trying to give Trump a reason to fire Rosenstein (and Chris Wray atop the FBI as well). Nunes is demanding a classified document be released by DoJ but hopes its withholding is a good enough reason to ditch a couple of the darn people who won't fire Mueller and won't stop the Mueller investigation.

LOL the doc should be released in all its redacted glory. Next case.

What neither Nunes nor Trump will acknowledge is that the Senate will not confirm replacements for Rosenstein or Wray at this point. They'd end up having to try to convince the Solicitor General to accept an Acting AG position and agree to fire Rosenstein. Odds on that are not as good as when Nixon did it and got Bork to fire Archibald Cox. Not much they could do about Wray. Trump picked Wray anyway. What, now he's not good enough? Gee.

Plus once again no one's remembering what happened after Bork fired Cox. 1) Bork appointed a new special prosecutor anyway, as he had no choice but to do so and 2) articles of impeachment featuring but not limited to obstruction of justice were promptly drawn up in the House.

So they're more or less stalemated in attempts to create a DoJ that will fire Mueller at Trump's suggestion. They could get this to happen but it would be cutting off noses to spite faces and probably get Trump impeached. Nunes... why doesn't someone offer him a think tank job, before he does something so dumb his next job is minding freedom fries at a McD's or else working in a prison laundry.

21. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

I agree with Mac. President Trump is only capable of doing stupid things. He does not understand the concept of restraint. So yes, he will.

I should start shopping for good champagne….

22. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

23. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Well I think Trump does understand the downsides of firing Mueller, but he's not likely to be able to resist his inner child any more than he usually can. That's the child who keeps popping up at inappropriate times to say "just do it"... and then he's off again to find out which of his aides will clean up the mess he just made. Two things: some messes don't clean up well no matter who gets paid to try, and he's running out of competent aides.

So yeah, start shopping. I just got two Green & Black chocco bars and put them in the freezer.

24. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

It would be the Saturday Night Massacre all over again. If Trump isn't guilty of anything, he should stop acting like it.

25. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Meanwhile Fox decides to put up a desperate deflection in trying to keep the focus off of law enforcement raids on two sides of "the pond". Hilarious.

FoxDeflectionDuJour.jpg

BecauseFoxBustDuJour.jpg