iPad The wife is getting rid of her computer and going with an iPad....???

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jharvey71884, May 8, 2014.

1. jharvey71884 macrumors regular

My wife, who is a pastor, is getting rid of her Macbook Air 2010 and going with an iPad exclusively. She hardly uses her Macbook air anymore and with Office 365 out, figured she could type up her sermons on the iPad with a wireless keyboard or use my iMac.

She watches Hulu and Amazon Prime on it, but has never been one to put a lot of videos or photos on her iPad. Maybe one video at a time. She really just uses it to hold while preaching, web surf, and occasionally stream a show.

My question is, do you think I can get away with just getting her a 16GB iPad? Trying to not spend any extra money. I think I can sell her Macbook Air for probably $375 to $300, plus she has an iPad 2 that I'm selling for $200 on Friday.

My options:

iPad 4 16GB refurbished - $339
    iPad 4 32GB refurbished - $419
    iPad Air 16GB refurbished - $419

Out of budget likely - iPad Air 32GB - $509

I also have to factor in a keyboard case, likely $50 to $60 bucks.

2. HenryDJP macrumors 603

At least get the 32GB. If she's going to put her sermons on it she might even decide to put the bible on it which might take up much space. Many ministries are using iPads and putting bibles on them. The 16GB isn't even really 16GB's of available space. It's more like 13.9GB.

3. jharvey71884 thread starter macrumors regular

My biggest worry is that I hear the iPad 4's run a little hot. Worried that two to three hours of prepping a sermon might have the thing running warm?

Maybe the Air 32 GB is the right thing to do.

4. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Oh yes for sure, the iPad 4 definitely gets very warm. In fact it's just the opposite with the Air. If you live near an Apple store you can easily check this out. Pick up an iPad 4 and you'll feel the heat. Pick up the Air and it's very cool to the touch.

5. MarkG21 macrumors regular

If she is going to be holding it while preaching, then I would go with the Air. It also runs cooler.

6. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

For what it's worth, the Bible app that I have only takes up 56.2 mb.

As far as the heat goes, it may run a little warm, but it doesn't seem to be a huge issue.

If she mostly streams content (Netflix, Hulu, etc.) you would probably be ok with 16gb. Of course, it never hurts to go with more storage.

7. MyiBill macrumors 6502

I think you'll get more than $375 for the MacBook on ebay

8. jharvey71884 thread starter macrumors regular

Unfortunately the closest one is 62 miles away. But I appreciate you backing up the thought and I will take your word on it.

9. jharvey71884 thread starter macrumors regular

Apple.com is replenished their iPad Air 32GB supply, so I'm going to get one this afternoon.

Hoping her Macbook Air brings a little more than I initially said.

10. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

If she's going to be holding it in her hands frequently, particularly while preaching, have you considered getting her an iPad mini instead? It's much easier to one-hand the device. And for the same storage capacity as a similarly equipped Air, it's $100 cheaper. Only drawback is the smaller text, so it just depends on her preference.

On your question, I would definitely get at least 32GB. Sounds like this is going to be her primary computing device. You don't want her running out of space too quickly. 16GB is barely enough these days. Trust me - once she gets the iPad, she'll find plenty to do with it.

11. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

I would recommend a retina mini in 32gb. Lightest, cheaper than an air, and runs cool.

12. mripadmini macrumors regular

id recommend either the 16 or 32 GB iPad mini. if she plans to store all of them on the device then 32. if she plans to store all of them on a web based cloud storage like Dropbox then 16.

13. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I highly recommend a 64GB iPad 4 if you can (definitely nothing smaller than 32GB). I'd also recommend the Logitech Ultrathin keyboard cover which can be purchased for $17.

Office for iPad is outstanding and developing sermons in the iPad is greatly enhanced by Office and Bible software that is available. If she already has LOGOS, then their iPad software will come in handy.

I recommend the higher capacity because it is helpful and handy to be able to have local copies of Bible versions, commentaries, lexicons, and other study resources. I have one of the entry-level packages for LOGOS and when all docs are downloaded it consumers 1GB of space.

14. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Text alone takes up little room, so a straight up text Bible will inherently be a small app compared to a graphics laden one.

15. Jacksonc macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

I agree. As long as you have good pictures, you can usually get more than the average selling price.

16. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I don't think there were a lot of pictures in the Bible. :)

17. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

iPad 4 is no-no because it will kill your wife's arm if she hold it for 2+ hours. You can find cheap iPad 2. Air is perfect one. :apple:

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

How does an iPad 2 help? It is only a few ounces lighter than the 4.

Plus, it's not like she's going to hold it in the air all the time -- she'll have a podium or something to rest it on, won't she?

19. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

The heat is not a big deal. Overblown. All within safe specs. But in poly/leather case wont know it.

32GB highly recommended. Docs and photos add up over the course of a year. Then you have that trip you want to add a 4+ GB movie for... Oh no what can I delete?!

The thinness of the Air is impressive.

But the iPad4 is a great buy still.

----------

:thumbsup:

20. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

Personally I'd hang on to the mbp. Ipad is not a great text device--and its unlikely you'll find a keyboard case with a key feel approaching a mbp. People are strangely hyonotized by the ipad--i just dont get it. I like mine, but I use it about 30 minutes a day.

21. Robster3 macrumors 68000

2+ hours sermon! Doubt it.

22. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Not to be flippant... But I just wonder, how could the Bible fill up an iPad, even 1 GB for the whole bible seems a bit too much. I think 16GB could very well fill several copies of the bible.

23. HenryDJP macrumors 603

You didn't read my post properly. I never said the Bible would fill up the iPad. I said it MIGHT take up much space. I don't know that. I'm just trying to use logic since she's using the iPad in her line of business. Also I did mention that the 16GB storage is not all available to the user. You lose more than 2GB of that to the OS and built in apps.
    She's going to be using the iPad in her profession and I was taking that into account. There will be more things that she may need to store on the iPad. Perhaps videos recorded of her sermon and various other books and videos in regards to the church.

Why recommend to someone who's going to be using an iPad for their profession to risk constraining their usage by getting the least amount of storage?

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    Stop the bickering.

Members are free to recommend different models, that may fit the OP's needs.

25. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

It's not just the Bible text, but the additional study resources like dictionaries, lexicons, commentaries, and other supporting books.

Because of the nature of the books (indices, cross references, etc.) they are more complex and involved than a typical epub-type ebook.

Some reference material is in scanned-image PDF format.... where each page is scanned image rather than text.

a 16GB iPad (available space out of the box is less than 16GB) is not sufficient for use in study and teaching prep. 32GB would be sufficient... I prefer 64GB simply for the long haul.