The Wii will be scarce once again this holiday season claims Reggie

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by SamIchi, Oct 6, 2007.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Here's the article a short one so I won't quote anythin, and I'm lazy. But Reggie says it himself, the Wii will not meet demands. I guess that could have many meanings.

http://videogames.yahoo.com/news-532512

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

To be expected; they can't even keep the DS from selling out during holiday seasons.

3. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I plan on buying mine early November (like, the 2nd). I hope I'm able to find one then.

As long as I have one when Mario Galaxies comes out I'll be a happy person. I think that's the 12th of Nov., right?

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The DS was sold out here last xmas, which is really saying something!

On a side note it's great things are changing here. Even when the DS was pummelling and destroying the PSP in sales the PSP would still have more shelf space in the shops. Now you walk in an Nintendo stuff takes up whole walls.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

All the consoles will be scarce :rolleyes: Conrgatulations Reggie on basic marketing and economics :rolleyes::rolleyes: Oh and I just want to make a public announcement wherein I would like to 'STATE THE OBVIOUS' :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm in a :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: mood with this one :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:p

6. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Of course they will be scarce when you don't produce enough in the first place... Way to try to re-ignite the now dying media hype. Maybe he should focus on making more and getting retailers more than 3 at a time than telling us that Wii production is being held back.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

7. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Yeah Nintendo, why don't you invest millions upon millions of dollars and start up a few more production facilities to meet this demand that apparently only exists because of the self-created hype.

Oh, and if demand drops off then all you've lost is a few hundred million dollars in the investment of the new facilities.

But that's smart business, right?
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Did anyone bother reading the source article? It makes sense. Increasing production capability is not as simple as just flipping a switch; Nintendo's already at maximum. They'd have to build/buy more factories, and then what happens when demand slows and suddenly Nintendo has too many factories?

Nintendo should be ramping up production to maximum, but if they don't predict demand sustaining at current rates into next year, I can completely understand not wanting to build more factories.

Apparently Ed didn't read the article. He didn't say Wii production is being held back.

9. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Seems so, we're already sold out at work and have been for the last 3 weeks.

10. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I didn't mean to say that as if Reggie said that production was being held back but to me it seems like a great thing to have your Execs come out and say "hey its gonna be uber rare again, you better go get yours" to try to fuel the dying media hype flames.

Maybe they need to convert some of the GCN manufacturing to Wii, the components are basically the same it wouldn't be that much of a feat. Or it could be that Nintendo is expecting the Media frenzy to die down and they don't want to end up like MS with pyramids of product laying around a retail outlet.

Either way its good marketing, +1 to Nintendo.

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'd say the latter. Most of the GCN manufacturing plants are already probably manufacturing Wii's. But consider that the Wii has already sold in one year almost half of the GCN's sales since launch, and you can understand why Nintendo's production capacity isn't able to meet it.

12. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Wii's won't be on store shelves? Really... :rolleyes:

In other local news today, the sky is blue, water's wet, and gasoline prices remain high. :rolleyes:

Shortages, artificial shortages, demand, manufacturing, *sigh* ...I'm too tired to even start with this again. :rolleyes:

+1 agreement with Ed

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

What an odd mentality, the Wii remains the most sold console in all regions, yet they're holding systems back :confused:

In other news Sony and MS are holding back systems because they're not selling as well as the Wii :cool:

So why did you?

14. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Uh...I didn't.

I mentioned both sides of the argument, not just one. I still feel like they're creating artificial shortages because that's common sense 1 year after launch, but whatever.

You & everyone else keep telling yourselves that they're not creating artificial shortages, while me + Ed and many others keep telling ourselves that they are. Kay sirrah sirrah. :rolleyes:

I think it's funny how now there's a new sku that will be added; now, let's see if that new sku (which happens to be $289 CAN according to reports) is readily available in stock around the world... :rolleyes:

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Is this the long time admitted we will release DVD playing Wii ?

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I think we all know that the wii will be short this christmas....nice job reggie on making it an even bigger issue than it was:D...good marketing ploy.

Instead of worrying about the shortage folks we should be worrying about if games are going to meet the dates....thats my concern...I have my wii...I just need more games for it.

Bless

17. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

It's not that easy to just flip a machine dedicated to making one piece of hardware to another. The main-board form factors are different which means retooling the equipment, loading a new program for component placement and swapping out all of the component reels (assuming that the machines used for the circuit board assembly are identical, if not it's even more difficult, possibly requiring a completely new component placement program to handle the different machinery).

Not to mention it makes no business sense to limit production of older/more profitable hardware when it is still selling. All of the kinks in GCN assembly lines have been worked out for years so as long as they are selling well enough that production has to keep running it's like printing money. Very few support/yield issues and profits keep rolling in.

18. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I have a feeling that even if the Wii were to outsell the PS2, that there are a few peeps here that would still be on this superficial tangent about how Nintendo is intentionally limiting supplies. ;)

<]=)

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's common knowledge that the PS2 was being limited :rolleyes:

20. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

hmm, both the walmart and kmart im my city have had at least 1 Wii in all the time since about June..

(well the walmart has anyway ;))

21. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Yep. They could have sold a BILLION! What was Sony thinking by only selling over a 100 million! :)

<]=)

22. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

still going on about that?