The World is flat, honest gov!!!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by amiga, Aug 4, 2008.

1. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

2. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Facinating. Just facinating. Thanks for the link

EDIT: Facinating in a "this is outragous" way lol, just wanted to be clear

3. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

this article is a joke right? not to offend/shock i've seen the curvature (albeit slight, but none the less) of the earth. unless this is the matirx...

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I love the fact that he says that there's 1000's of people who support it, but he can't prove it, but there really is, honest....

5. amiga thread starter macrumors 6502

amiga

I knew what you meant ;) My favorite is the guy who thinks the world just goes on forever... 'infinite'

There was something on QI (British TV show)...

'...It's not a lot better than the woman who accosted the philosopher and psychologist William James after he delivered a lecture on the solar system.

"Mr James", she said, "we don"t live on a ball rotating around the sun, we live on a crust of earth on the back of a giant turtle." "If your theory"s correct, madam," replied James politely, "what does this turtle stand on?" "A second far larger turtle, of course!" she snorted back. "But what does that stand on?" pressed the philosopher. "It"s no use, Mr James", snorted the old lady triumphantly, "it"s turtles all the way down!"'

:confused:

6. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

I've been getting looks all morning because I keep picking hilarious threads to read :D

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Those people should look at the sun and the moon and wonder what shape are those planets in?

What idi*ts.

So what if there are thousands of people with IQ slightly below GW Bush, so what? They are going for the villiage mor*n prize? Probably the same people that falls for the Nigerian scams. =p

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

If you mean "the world is flat" in the Tom Friedman sense of the phrase than I would agree with you. Otherwise those people claiming the flatness of the world have obviously never been in a boat or a plane.

9. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

1. Buy photoshop.
    2. Lie to flat-earthers.
    3. ????
    4. PROFIT!!! from fake space program.

Brilliant!

10. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

QI can seriously mess with your head. In last weeks Friday night repeat National Treasure Stephen Fry™ told us that Pluto isn't a planet, Bangkok does not exist and that the earth has two moons! :eek:

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Even more shocking than the earth being flat, Stephen Fry may have got his facts wrong :eek:

Wow, twice in one episode. In 1997, the asteroid 3753 Cruithne was found to have an unusual Earth-associated horseshoe orbit. However, astronomers do not consider it to be a second moon of Earth, and its orbit is not stable in the long term.

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i'm seriously scared that people take this stuff seriously. i hope i'm wrong though.

13. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

How dare you question Stephen Fry! Burn the heretic!

( :D ;) )

14. amiga thread starter macrumors 6502

amiga

15. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

If Stephen Fry can be so wrong... that's it, I'm leaving now, to throw myself off the edge of the Earth!

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

In my youth I tried once, and only once, to have a discussion with one of these people. There is absolutely no reasoning with them, they are certifiable. They are nuts. If they want to believe that the Earth is actually an infinitely big layer of sod, **** 'em.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

See the whole flat earth thing is destroyed by every other planet being round, that we have a night and day cycle that has a different time compared to GMT all over the world, and (thanks to the comments section) lunar eclipses.

I'd love to speak to a real flat earther and listen to how they get out of them questions.

And have they never been on a boat in the middle of the ocean, or ever used a high altitude plane?

18. bartelby macrumors Core

19. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

20. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I, too, am a believer that the earth is flat.

21. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

:eek: I'm still waiting for the pun for this...

22. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

No pun needed. I believe the world is flat.

I mean, if the world was really round, science tells us that Australians would fall off the earth. They would have to walk around all day on monkey bars and their cars would have to be on rails.

23. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Some people juggle geese.

It's depressingly unsurprising, for every genius there's a blathering moron as IQ is a normal distribution.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

From one of them links-

I really, really want to meet one of these people.
    The really dissapointing thing about all this, or at least that site, is these people show some level of education. Getting their point across with formulas and (stupid points aside) seem to have some intelligence but they've lost the plot entirely. Shame.

Also if we're flat how come water isn't spilling off into space? How is gravity accounted for and where does it originate if not from a centre that is balanced all over the world?

25. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

you can't be serious.