The WORST case of the yellow "other" death/ghost bar

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by deceptichop, Aug 14, 2013.

1. deceptichop macrumors regular

Yes, and I'm not exaggerating here. In the words of the Apple store, the "worst case" so far.

It started with my purchase of the iphone 5. I bought it about 2 weeks after the launch. I have the 16 gig.

and because of the yellow "other" bar in Itune's summary, every 4 weeks I have to TOTALLY restore my phone is a new iphone. Can you imagine!??

I back everything up before I restore, but can you possibly IMAGINE doing this every month!!!?? And if this continues, the SAME ***** will happen with my upcoming 5s.

I have restored my phone every which way 30 + times now.

I have had EVERY Iphone since 2007, until now, I have NEVER had this issue.

After the apple store couldnt fiqure it out after 3 visits I:

I have since replaced my hard drive in my MacBookPro, TWICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have since wiped out my 140 gigs of Itunes, then re downloaded it all. Took me over one month to do that.

So after 9 visits to the Apple store, they FINALLY gave me a BRAND new replacement Iphone.

and yes, STILL the yellow bar of death.

I am CONVINCED that there is a corrupted file SOMEWHERE in my 140 gigs of Itunes. It is NOT an app. I have wiped out ALL the apps. It is either a mp3, or video file.

So here is my question to the group, is there some kind of 3rd party software that I can use that will FIND this corrupted file???

Apple says that they do not have any such software.

Thank you very much in advance

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

So what was the "yellow bar" actually showing (as in the amount of usage)? Why did you have to restore each time?

3. deceptichop thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the reply C DM.

When you hook up your Iphone to your Mac, in Itunes it will give you your summary.

The blue bar is the amount of audio on your phone, orange is photos and the yellow is "other" That other is ghost data. There is no other. So I can remove ALL my stuff from my phone such as music, video, apps ect and I will have 8 or MORE gigs of the yellow bar.

The ONLY way to get rid of the yellow ghost bar is to COMPLETELY wipe out and restore the phone. This also happens with Ipads I here.

I KNOW the problem is a corrupted file in my Itunes. Is there some software out there that can find the bad file? I know for a fact that Apple doesnt make one.

4. deceptichop thread starter macrumors regular

anybody? anyone? I know there's some CRAZY smart people on this forum.

9 unsucessful visits to the Apple Store, two new hard drives and a BRAND new replacement Iphone.

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

So...if you restore your iPhone and then NOT sync your music and videos...what do you get?

6. deceptichop thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your reply Brian, I appricate it.

I have tried both ways. The ONLY way I can get rid of the 8 gigs of "yellow bar" or ghost data is to totally wipe out my phone.

But everytime I hook up my phone to itunes to sync or update, the yellow bar of ghost data starts climbing until it reaches 8 gigs and I have to restore as new phone. Again, I have to do this every 4 weeks.

Ive replaced my hard drive in my Mac twice now. Wiped out 140 gigs of my Itunes then re installed. Also have a BRAND new Iphone.

90% of my data in my itunes have been DL'd off of the net. This is why i am CONVINCED there is a corrupted mp3 or video file that has been and will continue to cause this.

and no joke when Apple says they've never seen such a bad case of this.

7. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

OK. What I'm saying is...if you don't sync any music or video to your iPhone, as in uncheck them in iTunes, do you get the "Other" problem? You have to start narrowing down the possibilities so if the answer is "no" then, yeah, something's probably wonky with an audio or video file.

In that case, I'd start adding music a bit at a time, perhaps alphabetically by artist. For example, if you get up to the R's with no issues, but adding S artists brings back the problem, then you've narrowed it down and can progress from there.

8. deceptichop thread starter macrumors regular

This is AWESOME Brian!! Thank you VERY much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

Hope it goes well. Please report back your findings :)

10. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Hi, can you jailbreak your iphone? If so, try installing Icleaner pro

11. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Agree - though it will be quicker to use a sort of pseudo-binary method - ie first load up half your music (say artists from A to M), check for the yellow bar problem. Whatever the answer, you have eliminated half your library already, but lets say, for the sake of argument, that the suspect file is in the O to Z group. So, load up the O to T artists and check again for the yellow bar problem. Again, you will by this stage have eliminated another 25%, so a total of 75% in just two moves. Another split of the remaining files brings your total to 87.5%, and so on until you narrow down the culprit. Does that makes sense? (ps can't claim any credit for this method as I didn't invent it!).
    Brian's suggestion will achieve the same result, but unless the faulty file is at the front of the alphabet it will take a bit longer (a lot longer if it happens to be a corrupt Z Z Topp song! ).

12. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I was thinking that it will take a lot longer to do a restore than to add incremental music sections. I think that the "halfing" method would lead to several more restores.

13. deceptichop thread starter macrumors regular

Ladies and gentlemen, I accidently FINALLY found my cure for the yellow bar of death.

After wiping out my itunes, replacing my hard drive in my Mac AND Apple giving me a BRAND new replacement Iphone 5 and countless trips to the Apple store and countless phone restores..........

I cleared my text log histories.

and yup, it was on accident :)

14. hxcdave macrumors newbie

I made a post about this awhile back and you didnt have to even get a replacement :p I cleared mine up by using ICloud back up because since iOS7 came out it says i had 2.5 gb of text messages (Thats what that 'other' basically consisted of) and after i did a restore and a iCloud back up i waited around eh 4 hours for icloud to sync it all and BAM, no more 2.5 gbs saved up and no more other (basically) Ive always tried to find a fix for it but i came accross on here once and found the icloud thing and decided to test it

15. deceptichop thread starter macrumors regular

ANOTHER way I found the cure to the yellow ghost bar other of death is to in Itunes when your phone/ipad is hooked up, on your summary screen, go to Options and click "convert higher bit rate songs to 128 kbps AAC."

this will free up GIGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

Perhaps only if you actually have a good amount of music, if any at all.