The worst film you've ever seen in the theatre?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Sometimes, there can be nothing more depressing than using your hard-earned money, and wasting time and effort to go and see a movie in the cinema which turns out to be a complete disaster.

It places you in a bind: Do I walk out or not?
Especially difficult when you're with someone else...

Mine would have to be Cocktail with Tom Cruise and Bryan Brown.
The absolute pits... but I stayed until the bitter end.

On the way home, my then-boyfriend wouldn't dare speak to me -- he knew how much I hated it. :D

What's the worst film you've made the effort to go out to see?
Not on TV or DVD-rental but in the theatre... something you've paid hard cash for and dragged yourself out of the house only to find yourself hating every minute. And did you walk out? Or even try to claim a refund? :eek: :D

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
There was some stupid break-dancing movie I went to in high school with some friends. Can't recall the name, but man did I want to get out of there. Of course, being with friends precluded that possibility, especially in high school.

Then again, we all got to make fun of the movie later...

I've never actually walked out of a movie. I don't see that many in theatres, especially now with kids, so I try hard to pick good ones.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Saving Silverman, i believe it was called, im not sure, man that thing was horrid, i walked out, left my friends there, it was just a pointless horrible movie

this is why i now just buy movies on DVD when them come out, rather than going to the movies, its cheaper (if you are paying for a date too) and you can watch it whenver you want, and you have the option of reselling it, not for what you paid, but if it is bad you can at least get some money back

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
The Matrix Reloaded, which my friends dragged me along to see. I lasted about half-an-hour before I felt compelled to walk out.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
The only movie I've walked out on in the theatre was Anything Else, a Woody Allen movie starring Jason Biggs. Me and my girlfriend went to it on a whim and didn't realize it was a Woody Allen movie. I know a lot of people love him, but I can't stand him.

Another thing I thought of, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King was an excellent movie. Even still, I almost walked out on the last half hour of it. That was the worst anti-climax ever.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
jsw said:
Also Elisabeth Shue, a major crush of mine at the time (and still) - so I couldn't hate the movie.
I'll second that crush. I even watched Adventures in Babysitting because she was in it :rolleyes:.

O/T: How to Make an American Quilt, starring Winona "5 Finger Discount" Ryder. While on vacation in The Outer Banks, my wife really wanted to see this movie. By the time she talked me into it, we had to see the 10.30p show. There were perhaps 12-15 people in the theatre, and I was the only person who did not fall asleep on that movie at some point. My wife made it at least halfway before she gave up the ghost.
A simply atrocious and pointless waste of celluloid.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Blue Velvet said:
It places you in a bind: Do I walk out or not?
Especially difficult when you're with someone else...

Mine would have to be Cocktail with Tom Cruise and Bryan Brown.
The absolute pits... but I stayed until the bitter end.
Oh that movie would have been so much better had Cruise killed himself and we just followed Bryan around drinking for another hour.

Worst movie I paid to see in a theatre, Kung Pow.

I refuse to walk out of movies though. No matter how terrible they are I will at least give them the benefit of the watch.

Hidalgo was the closest I came to walking out on a movie.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
edesignuk said:
Torque, with out a doubt the worst film I have ever paid to see in the cinema *shudder*...I don't even want to go in to it...
What the hell did you expect... :eek: :p :p :p

Bibulous

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
Fire in the Sky, 1993 walked out

On Deadly Ground with Stevan Seagal, last 30 min was so bad, had to stay to see how worse it could get

Star Wars I, such a wasted opportunity :(

Underworld, laughed out loud at the end

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
iGav said:
What the hell did you expect... :eek: :p :p :p
First off...it wasn't my idea, there were a few of us, and it was a mates suggestion. I was hoping it'd be a Fast and the Furious on two wheels (I like fast and furious for the sheer switch off, be entertained by stupid fast cars factor). But, it was no where near as good as the F&F :eek: and that's saying something!!!

Kato C.

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2005
Great White North
What the Bleep Do We Know!

"What the Bleep Do We Know!"

Don't get me started.....It is the only time that I actually began arguing out loud with a movie while I was still in the theatre...I started shouting at the "experts" on the screen. I wasn’t going to leave; I was staying and telling them what I thought. (This isn’t my normal behaviour.)

The amazing thing was that my very wonderful wife didn't object.

The unfortunate thing was that this was a film that I chose given recommendations by friends. She agreed to go instead of seeing a nice, touching Oscar contender. I told her that I owed her. She agreed. She's been choosing for the last while.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
emw said:
There was some stupid break-dancing movie I went to in high school with some friends. Can't recall the name, but man did I want to get out of there.
Breakin', Breaking 2: Electric Bugaloo, Beat Street, Beat Street 2 - any of those ring a bell? Shabba-Doo.

So many bad movies. For me - Waterworld - a friend of mine and I paid to see it when it was 113 degrees F outside - 3 hours of air conditioning was worth watching the insufferable Kevin Costner.

Any of the new Star Wars movies - George Lucas has truly lost his creativity, not to mention his mind.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
edesignuk said:
snippy: But, it was no where near as good as the F&F :eek: and that's saying something!!!
That IS saying something. But I know what you mean about switching the brain off for some mindless entertainment. Even so...Torque??? :p