the worst part of getting a new phone is all software related.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by steve knight, Sep 24, 2016.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

for the most part getting a new phone going is not a big deal. but my problem is with audible and somewhat kindle apps. the audible one is the worst I have something like 89 audible books to download and it only downloads one book at a time and not in the background. it may download one book but with this many if you go do something else and then go back to audible it will stop downloading the book it was downloading and skip to a new one. the only solution is to turn off auto lock and turn the phone face down with audible up and let it run all night. it did not get them all yet and downloads are only around 1 meg a second from audible.
    kindle is not so bad but there is no way to sort books out by ones you have read or not so you have to go through your list on your other device and download them. but it only takes a few minutes to download a lot of kindle books luckily.

I forgot you can sync them from iTunes I tried that but it puts them all in the same folder as my iTunes books I get from the library and so I can't keep tracks whats what.

2. Stewie macrumors 6502

Stewie

Pro tip. Download one book and start playing it. Than start downloading the rest of them. They should continue in the background while the first book is playing.

3. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

yes but I am not listening at the time I am setting the phone up last night. but I am often not in wifi range so thats not practical. well almost done downloading them all. I wish a iTunes sync separated the audible books that would be the best. I didn't to realize how many books I have unread.

4. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

World's most advanced mobile operating system apparently

5. Stewie macrumors 6502

Stewie

You don't have to listen to it. I pick a book I have already read. Turn the volume down and go on about my business.

Also if you have 89 unread book I don't think you need to download them all at once as you might have other issues. :)

6. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

I only download the unread ones then remove it after listening. it's easier to keep track. I buy them when I can get a deal and read the library books first but they run out then i read the ones I bought. I also use kindle unlimited though that source runs out often too.
    but I am by myself all day as I work for myself so I am always listening.
    but I will use the playing method so I don't have to have the screen on all the time. But I have never figured out why audible only downloads one book at a time since it is at a slow speed. usually I don't have this many books but when I have a really good week I buy 3 audible credits.

7. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

It sounds app-related to me, not a fault of the OS. Other apps handle this just fine. Nice try, though.

8. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

it is app related it has not really changed in years. but at least audible on my iPhone can play all my books where on my Samsung s6 audible only worked with audible books I had to use another app to listen to others.