The worst thing about the iPhone is the carriers but

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Jul 17, 2012.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

Is there anything we could do so we don't get charged for lame things I mean it's stupid how people have to pay extra just to tether their laptops and now Facetime people will also have to pay extra I mean why would apple promise something and than be disappointed because those greedy companies want more money for something people are already paying lots for. I hope T-Mobile will be the best out of all of them. Imagine paying $50 a month for unlimited date including calling and texting. That's what we all want cheap affordable phone service. I think we all should complain to AT&T and Verizon that they are making us all mad with their stupid excuses to rise up their monthly prices. It's 2012 and everyone now uses date more heavily with YouTube and music streaming and it's super dumb that 200MB is the starter up. I mean if it was 2007 that was a lot back than but now that we are in 2012 and almost in 2013 2GB should be the minimum but the best of all UNLIMITED should be the standard and also at a cheap price. $50 and now that 4G is coming maybe 3G should be the super cheat one so $50 for unlimited everything 3G and $60-70 unlimited everything 4G that should be a fair price. We're all tired of being cheated by those companies. It's time to stand up and make them listen to us.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

It seems Carriers in USA loves to screw their customers. Recently tech sites have reported that AT&T is considering on charging people for using FaceTime over wifi.

Also data plans are pricey in USA. It's way cheaper in Hong Kong.

4. RNVarma macrumors regular

The current rumor is that AT&T will charge for FaceTime over 3G; FaceTime via wifi would stay the same and not require any sort-of charge.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/16/att-to-restrict-or-charge-for-facetime-over-3g4g-in-ios-6/

Also, there is a pretty good deal with T-Mobile: 100 minutes, unlimited 3G data (throttled after a certain amount), and unlimited SMS for $30/month. It's contract-free too.

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

I'm currently with Straight Talk, but I'll probably move back to T-Mobile when their 1900Mhz refarming is completed by the end of stairs calendar year.

5. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

It seems more and more that Verizon & AT&T are colluding. Wish somebody with money would sue these guys for their blatant robbery from the consumers.

6. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

This isn't an iphone problem, it's a carrier problem. Here in the netherlands I just pay for my data, and that's it. They don't give a rats what I do with it. Why the iphone is singled out by the big US carriers I wouldn't know.

7. JayTruth macrumors newbie

I also plan on getting the new iPhone with the T-Mobile $30 100 min sim I already have right now, but how am I gonna do it if the new iPhone uses nano sim?

8. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Because its the most highly sought-after phone in the marketplace here in the USA, that's why.

9. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

Cut your sim so it becomes a nano sim. Normal Sim, Micro Sim and Nano sim all function exactly the same. The only difference is size. It's likely there'll be a Nano Sim Cutter for Normal Sim and Micro Sim Cards.

My mistake. I meant 3G and not wifi.

That T-mobile pre-paid deal is positively cheap! In fact it's even cheaper than what I'm paying for in Hong Kong (unlimited data as well). AT&T is still expensive.

Don't forget Steve Jobs forced AT&T to NOT shove their bloatware onto iPhone by default. One of the respectable things I love about iPhones is that there are no carrier apps pre-installed into the phone. You can choose to download it on the app store. All android phones have pre-installed software (which can be removed ONLY if you root your phone!).

10. JayTruth macrumors newbie

@RocketRed

Are you sure you can cut down a regular sim to nano, because I heard nano sim is also thinner in addition to having a smaller area.

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

Have you noticed that the two carriers that charge the most money (AT&T and Verizon) have data networks that are *significantly* better than T-Mobile.

If T-Mobile didn't just get $4 billion of free money (and spectrum they couldn't afford to buy themselves) from AT&T because the merger failed, I doubt you'd see them launch LTE next year. Next year. How long ago did AT&T and Verizon launch their LTE networks?

Its one thing to like T-Mobile's inexpensive plans. It's another thing to step back and see that they aren't making enough money from their cheap plans to keep their network current with data technologies.

12. crashdebris macrumors newbie

I want to weigh in on this also. I have two issues I think people should consider when thinking about this thread.

First, as the customer, you have a LOT to say about whay YOU will pay for a service or goods. If YOU don't think the price is fair, choose something else (another carrier, another device, different plan, etc.). If enough people say that $100 a month is too much, it will hit the provider in the pocketbook and they will adjust accordingly.

The second issue is in direct opposition to the first, and may explain why the price is as it is. The U.S. is a large place with the population concentrated into cities. That makes the placement and bandwidth of the towers a very large and difficult (read expensive!) task. I expect the same service here in Oklahoma that someone else has in Boston even though the population density is VERY different. I'm sure that the family living on the thousand acre ranch in Texas wants the same service too!

I can see the argument made that the carriers are making huge profits and that they could share that wealth with their customers. I think their stockholders would not agree with you on that. I guess it all boils down to how you see companies, either they OWE it to their customers or they are beholden to the shareholders to maximize profits or somewhere in between.

Just my $0.02.

13. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I don't work for free and I don't expect anyone else to either.

If you don't like their prices go elsewhere... just like the fanboys tell people here.

They say, if you don't like their Macs, iPhones or iPads.... get out ... ha..ha..ha..

The trick is to lighten up, it's only a phone.

14. cynics macrumors G3

This wouldn't be a problem if they weren't so greedy to get every customer they can without the infrastructure to back it up.

Verizon's 3G where I live is absolutely miserable.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

You blame the companies, but why not blame Apple? Apple makes the most money per unit when compared to any other smart phone. You are asking the telcos to give a little. Might as well ask Apple to give a little. I mean, you can't expect a free lunch from one but not the other, right?