The WRONG way to end abortions, Republicans ignoring statistics

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Apr 11, 2017.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

If one looks at statistics and social analysis, having an abortion is not what women want to do and there are a number of methods that are proven successful to end abortions, and reduce unwanted pregnancies.

Except those solutions are against typical Republican positions.

Methods to reduce unwanted pregnancies:

It is the last which is a huge driver for abortions, and even worse.
    There is never, ever any reason to vilify a woman for being pregnant.
    Ironically while there are so many laws against abusing women, berating them for unwanted pregnancy is something that seems to be socially acceptable.

The insult is over 90% of Planned Parenthood provides non-abortion services. By literally throwing out the baby with the bath water statistics indicate the rate of abortions will actually increase. I really cannot understand why the urge to destroy a program with proven results.

In every way this is a religious crusade to keep the "weaker sex" subservient to men. This atmosphere of intimidation is abusive to women, but also hurts men by the less than ideal relationships.
    Ironically there are passage in bible that say to spare wicked institutions (cities) even if just 1 good person resides in it.

TL:DR;
    You get more results with education, encouragement, and help than a stick and harsh words to end abortions.

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

You keep thinking religion has logic behind it. all you have to do is look at texas with the claim their abstinence only education is working while having the highest teen pregnancy rates. blind faith is what it is all about. all you have to do is look at all the teen pregnancies going on there.

3. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Given that everyone in the country is supposed to have health insurance and said health insurance is required to cover birth control, I don't understand why this is an issue. They are already free so how much lower can the cost be?

4. edk99 macrumors 6502a

You failed to mention abstinence as a method to reduce pregnancy.

5. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

It is as practical as a fridge to a Eskimo. People have sex lots of it and as often as possible. It does not work because few can manage it.

6. 0007776 Suspended

Not everyone does anyway. And the people that can't afford insurance also happen to be the ones that can least afford to have a kid.

7. estabya macrumors 6502

estabya

Sure, abstinence does prevent pregnancy, but good luck keeping hormonal teenagers from having sex. Abstinence only education does not work. That is a fact. The most proven way to decrease unwanted pregnancy is comprehensive sex education and access to contraception.

8. edk99 macrumors 6502a

I did not say abstinence only. It is an option and should be part of comprehensive sex ed. I don't get this easy access to contraception thing. Pretty much every drug store I've been in has condoms. When I was teen and after that is where I got them. It was pretty easy to get them.

9. estabya macrumors 6502

estabya

I didn't necessarily think you to be advocating for abstinence only. I guess I thought that was clear in what I wrote. My apologies if it wasn't.

I was just pointing out the fact that abstinence only education does no good, as I found your post somewhat ambiguous.

10. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Added it because there is no guarantee it will always be free.
    And another bullet always looks good :)
    --- Post Merged, Apr 11, 2017 ---
    I also omitted oral and anal sex.

11. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Or "deciding" to turn gay....

12. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Is there a stigma in 2017 about getting pregnant out of wedlock? I mean we've glorified it to the point that "Teen Mom's" have their own show. There are plenty of statistics that point to the fact that kids who have kids are severely behind the 8-ball, but that's no one else's fault other than their own.

13. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Why should it be part of sex ed? Why should anyone waste time teaching something which objectively does not work? Maybe we can teach it as an example of trying and failing in the past, but that seems more like a topic for history class than for sex ed.

Many communities, especially religious ones, do not have such easy access where store-owners that sell condoms are shunned. Further, there is for some reason a stigma in many communities around buying condoms (even in progressive areas). Not to mention that condoms aren't cheap - they cost more than many high schoolers can easily afford.

In my school, the nurse and guidance counselors all had bowls of condoms in discrete areas where anyone can come and take some. But I also went to a pretty darn liberal school. Out of a graduating class of over 1000, only 1 teen pregnancy. Not bad. That is what people mean when they say easy access - it means discrete, accessible, judgment-free, and low-cost or free.

14. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I know I am being sarcastic, but the ACA was supposed to bring costs down and requires everyone to have insurance. That should have solved the problem.

Has it not?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 12, 2017 ---
    Go to the 3:20 mark:

15. 0007776 Suspended

Well last year abortions hit their lowest level since they were legalized in the 1970's so it would appear that it is at least helping some.

16. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Ever hear of "exploitation" shows?
    And even if a woman who is more than financially stable and does not want to marry will be seen by many as no better than a prostitute.

17. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I'd like to add that an explored tactic would be approving male birth control in all its incarnations.

We focus too much on female anti-pregnancy. Lots of men out there don't want to risk pregnancy and be tethered to some chick for 18 years when all they wanted was to get laid.

18. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

If people just open up about sex then a lot of problems will be solved.

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Despite all the uproar, Planned Parenthood was very helpful for my gf and I in high school. Free birth control and condoms.

20. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Health insurance isn't free, if you have coverage, then you still paid for it. Also have to remember that having health insurance doesn't equate everything is covered too or that it's covered at cost.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 17, 2017 ---

Abstinence doesn't really work too well. Just look at the states that try to push it, they tend to have the higher pregnancy rates vs states with actual sex ed.

21. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Easy access to birth control?

IMG_0143.PNG

$0.26 at Walgreens. For $38 you can slam 144 times. Seems pretty easy to me.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 17, 2017 ---
    Abstinence works 100% of the time. If you don't slide your penis in her vagina she won't get pregnant.

Guaranteed.

Maybe you're doing abstinence incorrectly.

22. CaptMurdock Suspended

CaptMurdock

[​IMG]

23. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Not easy.

And before you say that's too young, I personally know a girl who had sex at 14 (encouraged by her "BFF" to "do it", and she was also 14)

24. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

It is too young. Just because her dumb friend encourages her to do it doesn't mean it isn't too young. What kind reasoning is that?

25. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I just stating the reality.

When society starts setting arbitrary expectations they become blind to reality.
    There will be children who will consensually have sex (and yes, some highly reluctantly but eventually agree to, as well as worse).
    Biology knows no rules, and where discipline is lacking or too rigid this will happen.
    It is happening every minuet around the world, 7 billion and counting.