Theaters group upset Sony to end free 3-D glasses

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by McGiord, Sep 30, 2011.

1. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Do you think that premium will be dropped now? [​IMG]

I can see the next step already.

Forbid bringing your own to a showing, like snacks and drinks.

:rolleyes:

2. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

I don't like 3D movies. I don't think the technology is there yet. They still look fussy to me. Last movie I went to see was the last Harry Potter movie and I think I would have enjoyed it more if it wasn't in 3D. Glasses get annoying after a while too.

3. McGiord thread starter macrumors 601

McGiord

I was not expecting a price drop, but that the cost of the glasses were already in the cost of the ticket, so why couldn't they continue with the same business model?
    I don't think they were losing, it seems that they just want to try a way to make more on something like the glasses.
    I agree that after a while you kind of get tired of wearing them, and there is some strain on the eyes.
    Many of us wear prescription glasses and it is more uncomfortable.

The 3D TV sets and the different proprietary technology is still not mature enough to set a standard. I am not sure if this will be a right comparison, but maybe similar to the HD DVD vs BluRay...At the end Sony won.

How good are those glass free 3D displays?

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

The cinemas I go to down here already get you to buy your own 3D glasses. They only cost be $1 (or $3)..can't remember. To me, it makes sense, cos at the end of each session, you have to dump all your used ones into a big box/bin and they need to get cleaned/recycled/repackaged again. Frankly, a big waste of resources.

5. glutenenvy macrumors regular

glutenenvy

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

As a business model, theaters are dead, but refuse to lay-down.

They are just playing with trinkets, to put more asses in seats, and visiting the concession stand, which is where they have to make their money.

7. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I cant tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but Theatres in NZ charged glasses on the side AND you cant bring your own food and drinks.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Same here, I thought you always had to smuggle food into cinemas. Just thought that was part of the experience :D.
    I thought they were really strict about it until the last time I went. Took in 2 cinnamon pretzels and they didn't stop me.

Wait what, you have to pay extra for the glasses and they get binned?
    In the UK you can buy 3D glasses if you don't have a pair (usually £1) and you keep them so you don't have to buy another pair.

9. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

My words seemed to have gotten ahead of me in that instance...let me clear that up.

Before, you got free glasses but you had (not really) to give them back.
    Now, you pay to get a pair to keep, and you bring them to 3D movies. No more freebies.