TheHill/JASTA: McConnell: Senate will delay vacation to override Obama veto

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Jess13, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

The entire Congress—Repubs and Dems, House and Senate—support JASTA; Obama doesn’t. So with Obama’s vow to veto JASTA, McConnell signals that Congress will override Obama guaranteed.

If only the Congress could impeach Obama for conspiring with 9/11 Saudis (who will be sued with JASTA) to arm al-Qaeda terrorists in Syria. But we have, at least, a start.

McConnell: Senate will delay vacation to override Obama veto

http://thehill.com/policy/national-...nate-will-take-up-9-11-bill-veto-before-break

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said Tuesday that the Senate will take up an expected veto override of legislation that lets families of 9/11 victims sue Saudi Arabia in U.S. courts before breaking for the elections.

"Both of those we'll have to deal with before we depart," McConnell told reporters.

He was referring to the veto override and a separate push to block a proposed arms sale to Saudi Arabia.​

2. samcraig macrumors P6

This is truly historic.

The senate delaying a vacation.

3. Jess13 thread starter Suspended

Jess13

Today

Leading 9/11 family members Mindy Kleinberg, Lorie Van Auken, Monica Gabrielle

Csz7fTGUIAA3wy2.jpg-large.jpeg

Csz96l5UsAEs-s8.jpg-large.jpeg

Cs0KBxiXYAAqb1i.jpg-large.jpeg

Cs0bCb0UkAAEoEp.jpg-large.jpeg

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Thank god. The US is opening itself up to being sued by other countries and therefore raise its debts even higher so a group who are already well compensated can become even richer!

5. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Isn't that a goal of the TPP in its current form?

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

:D

7. Jess13 thread starter Suspended

Jess13

No, the Congress is unanimously supporting 9/11 families and survivors and telling Hoebama and his 9/11 Saudi terrorist friends that he has conspired with to destroy Syria, to go **** themselves.

8. Jess13 thread starter Suspended

Jess13

GOP senators: Obama rebuffed negotiations on 9/11 bill

http://thehill.com/policy/national-...hite-house-rebuffed-negotiations-on-9-11-bill

Republicans who had hoped to work with the White House to secure changes to a bill allowing the families of 9/11 victims to sue Saudi Arabia in U.S. courts say they have been rebuffed by President Obama.

The administration has vowed to veto the legislation as-is.

“I am dumbfounded,” said Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), one of two leading GOP senators who have been looking into potential negotiations with the White House to resolve the its concerns.

“I can't feel a lot of energy coming from the White House on this issue,” said Sen. Bob Corker(R-Tenn.), who said that the administration has not reached out to him about making any changes.​

9. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Poor ol' Tennessee Bob. Later for whether changes might have rescued that bill. Right now it looks like some Dems in the Senate are starting to have a re-think on overriding the President's veto. Ah the sound of "unforeseen consequences" finally registering in their what-about-my-reelection-campaign lizard-brains.

I'm sure God on the phone to my Senators. I doubt it will impress them, all things considered including this is New York State I live in. But I think that bill is bad law.

10. Jess13 thread starter Suspended

Jess13

Sen. Feinswine, a USA-hating, anti-American traitor if there ever was one.

11. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Delay vacation to override Obama, no problem. Delay vacation to help prevent childern from getting Zika? Not so much. Nice to have priorities.

12. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Interesting how Senator Feinstein takes flak from both left and right for doing her job. She must be doing it fairly well then. That's how I'm starting to judge legislators in these polarized times...

Do you ever criticize elected officials you dislike without throwing in some gratuitous insult to them? If not, you might ask yourself why your conversion rate isn't higher. Honey attracts more flies than does vinegar, etc., etc. Or are you just venting because this bill might stay vetoed after all?

13. zin Suspended

14. Limey77 macrumors regular

I'll be surprised if the veto actually does get overturned. And America better hope it doesn't.

I can see millions of cases against the US from Japanese, Vietnamese, Iraqi, Afghani and every single person who ever set foot in Gitmo.

It would be a disaster and there's no guarantee the 9/11 families would even win. It will just draw out their pain for the sake of sounding good.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I understand where Obama is coming from. But the US needs to start being held accountable for it's crimes internationally. If that means we are liable for them, guess what, that's what you get for committing the crimes in the first place.

Maybe we should stop overthrowing governments through coups and assassinations...you know, seeing as it's internationally illegal?

16. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

You might want to actually read the legislation. There is nothing in the bill that grants Japanese, Vietnamese, Iraqi, Afghani, Somali, or any other foreign citizen the right to sue anybody. And believe it or not, foreign citizens don't need US legislation to take legal action against the United States. They have their own courts to do that.

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Tit for tat.

18. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Is that some Latin law term?

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

20. Limey77 macrumors regular

Yes I know that thank you. BUT that is because there is an international agreement giving nation states immunity. As soon as the US reneges on its agreement why do you believe other countries won't respond in like??

If you open the floodgates don't expect the flow of lawsuits to be one way. And America has many thousand more potential cases to defend than lives lost on 9/11.

Yes it appeals to people like you to twist this into supporting Saudi Arabia or terrorists. But it's actually protecting America from possible total bankruptcy.

21. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

right this same congress that would not help them with money???

22. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

Oh good, since they aren't going anywhere, the can hold confirmation hearings for Merrick Garland.

23. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Frankly, some poor Syrian or Afghan family that got droned by Obama should have the power to sue for restitution. However we know in the real world they could never afford to do such a thing. If I'm correct, China sued the United States after we bombed their embassy in Belgrade. Justifiably so, I might add. And there is no law or agreement--international or otherwise--that grants immunity to foreigners conspiring to kill and/or killing Americans, no matter what country they live in. There is the matter of diplomatic immunity but that does not apply here.

24. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

The Zika bill is nothing but a political game on both sides. They should try just addressing Zika and not tacking on any other special interests.

25. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

how else would special interests get what they paid for?