TheHill: White House pressures lawmakers to abandon Saudi 9/11 bill

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Jess13, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

That feeling when Hoebama goes against the entire unanimous Congress—House and Senate—and thousands of 9/11 victims’ families and survivors, to protect 9/11 enablers.

White House pressures lawmakers to abandon Saudi 9/11 bill

http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...ressures-lawmakers-to-abandon-saudi-9-11-bill

President Obama is holding off on a veto of legislation that would allow families of 9/11 victims to sue Saudi Arabia in hopes that lawmakers can be persuaded to withdraw their support for the bill.

The White House received the legislation on Monday after it unanimously passed the House and Senate. Obama aides have said he will veto it, putting him at risk of the first veto override of his presidency.​

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Obama's knees will buckle and he'll sign it.

3. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I hope not. It's a worthelss exploitative feel-good piece of work.

4. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

And I don't even want to think about the precedence that would be set. Second and third order consequences anyone? How much would the USA be sued?

5. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

LOL might makes right.

I'm not saying that it is right, I'm just saying that is how the World works.

6. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Honestly why get grieving families' hopes up that they will be able to successfully sue Saudi Arabia.

Btw I thought (conspiracy theorists thought) 9/11 was an inside job, carried out buy American bombs in the towers and so forth.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

He won't.

8. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

10. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

In that case, Obama will prove that he has more loyalty towards the Islamic theocracy of Saudi Arabia than he has towards the United States of America, confirming what we have suspected all along.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Much as I think it's brilliant congress hates Saudi Arabia so much stopping the US getting sued by every other country on earth is supporting the US.

12. Jess13, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016

Jess13 thread starter Suspended

Jess13

Saudis were involved, as were others. My belief on 9/11 is that “insiders” with foreknowledge hijacked the al-Qaeda hijackers’ airliner hijackings conspiracy with parallel conspiracy. One facet of the parallel conspiracy: secondary explosives in the towers and other explosives placed around the WTC, such as the car bombs that blew up around EMT Patricia Ondrovic or the car bombs reported by NBC’s Ashleigh Banfield. Who put secondary explosives in and around the WTC? I don’t know, but I could think of some likely suspect groups. For example: If you remember, Israeli intelligence agents were arrested on 9/11 just outside Manhattan with traces of still-classified explosive(s) in their vehicle, after they filmed the first plane hit the first tower with foreknowledge then celebrated and laughed at thousands of dying 9/11 victims they could have saved. 8 months after 9/11, two other Israelis, likely intelligence themselves (one who had snuck into the U.S. illegally, although it is unclear how, i.e. through the southern or northern border or with fraudulent passport crafted by Mossad), had traces of TNT and RDX high explosive used in building demolitions in their vehicle and on their person. 9/11, think: U.S.-CIA/Saudi-GID/Israeli-MOSSAD with select others in top positions in the executive, intelligence and military. Hijacking the hijackers.

The families deserve the chance to sue those involved. Suing the Saudis is one part of doing so. There are several leading 9/11 families who are part of the lawsuit against the Saudis, who believe most of what I just listed above about “insiders.”

Patricia Ondrovic.jpg

Ashleigh Banfield on car bombs

Israeli intelligence arrested on 9/11 (FBI report PDF 1, P. 7)
    The maps outlined in the FBI report, are the maps N.J. police said had certain places highlighted that tied the Israeli spies into 9/11, in the September 12, 2001 Bergen Record piece. The FBI crime lab results for explosive(s) traces remain classified and hidden until at least 2035. (When the FBI report was released in 2011 through a semi-successful FOIA, it was only a partial declassification. It is heavily redacted throughout with hundreds of additional pages totally withheld, the explosive results are among the totally withheld.)

http://web.archive.org/web/20011108025936/http://www.bergen.com/news/2bombvan200109125.htm

PDF1, P7.jpg

FoxNews.jpg

13. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

So @aaronvan believes policy is set with singleminded attention to whatever bill Congress passes and sets on our President's desk?

Obama: Let's see, there are no consequences to the USA as a whole if I sign this bill that lets some US civilians sue a country some of whose nationals killed the relatives of those civilians. It's not like nationals of say Afghanistan or Pakistan or Syria or Yemen might decide to sue the pants off the USA for our mistakenly having drone-attacked the wrong parties? Surely they'd understand we meant only to kill terrorists, not innocent bystanders.

That's before he gets to the pragmatic (outright economic) part of international relations like exactly how big is that oil glut floating off Singapore anyway. Why not have Obama sign the US bill and find out? Or maybe we can buy oil from Iran since we'll be all in tit for tat and the Saudi Sunnis don't heart the Iranian Shiites. That would go well. Our nationals sue SA for all the oil money they suddenly don't have. Slick play, what was the point again? Get me the lawyers' scorecard... the tankers idling off Singapore... wait, is it Morgan Stanley or... . who's warehousing that stuff now, did Morgan already lay that off? Get me the phone number of the governor of New York, he might want to undo that moratorium on fracking. Call up that consortium that wanted to run a pipeline through the watersheds up there, maybe those tree huggers finally get it they need to burn something to stay warm.

See I dunno who's on first either but I know it's not so simple to sign a bill on your desk because someone put it there this morning.

Hmm. @aaronvan finally confesses that signing the bill would be a real plus in moving the USA to sudden revival of Congressional interest in subsidizing the next generation of nuclear power plants.

14. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Why shouldn't Congress have suspicion and animosity towards that cancer called the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia? SA has fomented Islamic militancy for decades (similar to Iran), the militancy that has led to the deaths of their constituency, the American people.

It's not like anyone in Congress is proposing to bomb Mecca or anything, nor start WW3. But they simply want to hold one of our problematic 'allies' accountable. And stop arming the damn kingdom. It only allows them to keep killing civilians in Yemen. It's like SA is in a contest, they strive to kill more civilians in Yemen than Iran-Russia-Assad had killed in Syria. Maybe Allah will grant the winning side a gold medal or something.

Arming SA made sense about ~25 years ago, when we armed Kuwait and SA with defenses as a deterrent to a rampaging Saddam. After that, arming SA has not done anyone any good, and has only resulted in them pouring more gasoline into the already volatile Mid-East.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Because for some stupid reason they've been a long term ally. That they aren't treated as such anymore is brilliant IMO.

I don't disagree in the slightest.

16. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Me either. Congress will need good luck with the oil & gas companies and the tree huggers.

17. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Here is the text to the entire bill. It's only a few pages. Nowhere does the bill grant foreigners permission to sue the United States.

18. stroked Suspended

stroked

If I grant myself permission to punch you in the nose, you might grant your self permission to retaliate.

19. appleisking macrumors 6502a

What jurisdiction is the United States hoping to use in these lawsuits, given the bill grants permission that tells me the suit would happen in an American court. How would that decision be rendered enforceable against SA should they refuse to comply? Do they actually have a plan of enforceability because if not this bill is a waste of everyone's time.

20. aaronvan, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016

aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

If the court found in favor of the families of 9/11 victims and if they were granted a monetary award, the U.S. government would present Saudi Arabia with a bill. The Saudis will either pay it and end the matter or appeal it and keep it in the news. International litigation occurs every day, BTW.

21. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Or they could ignore it as having no actual authority in international law.

22. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Ignoring the decision of a U.S. court regarding victims of 9/11 would be irrational. It would keep the story in the news, irritate the American people, and probably lead to Congress introducing legislation to ban all arms sales to Saudi Arabia. The Saudis are unlikely to go that route.

23. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Sounds like an excellent outcome to me.

24. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

As if the US military industrial complex and their lobby would ever allow this to happen. Our current congress would never introduce meaningful legislation against that kind of money, that flows into congressional pockets. And the Saudis know this.

25. zin Suspended

The Senate has overwhelmingly voted to override President Obama's veto. Harry Reid was the only senator who voted against overriding the veto.