Theory: No iPhone 5S next year

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mjpearce023, Sep 13, 2012.

1. mjpearce023 macrumors 6502

I was watching the iPhone announcement last night and I noticed the picture they showed of the 6 iPhones. The first 3 generations looked very similar and generations 4,5 and 6 look very similar so I think the big redesign will actually come next year. Now maybe since the 5 is thinner and has a bigger screen they consider it to be a redesign but just looking at the shape of the phones it seems like they are keeping them pretty similar for 3 generations and then redesign them. Anyway that’s my theory and I'm not really disappointed in the 5 as I will be ordering one tonight. I just think the 7th gen is going to be the iPhone 6 and not the 5s. I guess we will see next year.

Attached Files:

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

/shrug
    bridges to be crossed later, or at least wait until after people actually get the 5.

3. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Who knows what the new management will do. This is a redesign though, just like the 4 was a redesign over the 3/3S. It's hardly the same form or factor like the S series are.

I am thinking about trying to sell my 4S for enough to buy the 5 at the early upgrade price and then keep it 2 years until the iPhone 6. That way I can get a redesign every time.

4. PerplexShyt macrumors 6502

nope there will be an iphone 5s.

Apple's leaked internal communications stated they used a 2 year cycle from the last major iteration (non-S) to develop a new phone

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You can't really say the first three are of the same design. The original iPhone and 3G are different. The 3G/3GS and the 4/4S each share the same design. We'll likely have two years of the same design in the 5/5S.

6. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

The iphone 5 is a redesign. It's a totally different manufacturing process made out of mostly Aluminum instead of glass. How different does it have to look for you to call it a redesign?

7. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

I feel there would be a huge disappointment if Apple continues to keep the same design for the 4th year.

The iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, & iPhone 5 all look the same except that iPhone 5 is thinner and the black iPhone has a black band instead of silver.

For them to make a 4th iPhone of that same design would disappoint people.

So in my hopes and dreams, I would think they will do a major revision to the iPhone for 2013. Good thing for me though as I have the iPhone 4S and not eligible for an upgrade until then so I will be getting the iPhone 6 or whatever Apple calls it.

I must say that I do like what they did with the iPhone 5 and is satisfied with the everything new that it has. People are too picky. The 4" screen, thinner design, slight better camera (less noise reduction, better colors), New port, (although people are hating the adapters needed for there accessories to work with the port) that will pass in a year and there will be new accessories that support the new port. Still so much others I can think of but that can be looked on at apples website.

So no iPhone 5S shouldn't happen. I hope it doesn't!

8. mjpearce023 thread starter macrumors 6502

I just keep a second line open so I can upgrade every year. It works out to be a little cheaper for me.

I'm not saying it’s not a redesigned phone but the overall look is very similar to the 4/4s just like the overall look of the 3g and 3gs were very similar to the 1. Again this is just a theory from looking at that picture. I have never been good at guessing what Apple is going to do.

9. Nathan576 macrumors member

i really happy with the iPhone 5, i bought the 4s last year knowing id get rid of it before my 2 year contract is up but I'm buying the 5 tonight and im gonna keep it until my contract is up. The 4inch screen and lte is all i really cared about.

10. x&y macrumors member

There will be an iPhone 5s, of course there will.

It won't however be much of an improvement. Phone technology is peaking.

11. mjpearce023 thread starter macrumors 6502

I’m not trying to say it wasn’t a redesign, its just not a big change from the 4/4s. The look is very similar. I will probably be wrong next year when the 5s comes out but it’s just a theory and I wanted to see what other people thought. Again, I like the 5 and will not be disappointed when I get it on 9/21. I don't even think Apple needed to drastically change the look of the phone as the 4/4s is one of the best designs I've seen.

12. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

I'm really happy for the aluminum back. That was my favorite thing about the original.

13. mjpearce023 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah especially on the black one. That slate looks REALLY good! I'll be up at 2am to order for sure.

14. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

Exactly. It's manufactured TOTALLY differently than the 4/4S. It's a new unibody design and it's going to be around for at least 2 years. I think it's pretty nice myself.