Theory on discounted pricing at the time of online preordering

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BeyondtheTech, Jun 9, 2010.

1. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I've been trying to figure out how Apple is going to determine how they're going to allow you to preorder your iPhone 4 at the price you're looking to get for it.

Considering that preorders are full authorizations on your charge card, it has to be at the right price and the full price, not a deposit. It also is going to be shipped to a location of your choice, so that it can be activated completely away from an Apple or AT&T store.

I've come up with the theoretical scenario that might just fit, and I apologize if another thread has already discussed this (I thumbed through a number of pages and couldn't find anything pertinent).

1. All preordering will be done through the Apple Store only.

2. If you're a completely new customer, it will ask for all your personal information and you can pick out your phone at the $199/299 price. If your credit history is insufficient or unsatisfactory, it won't be able to be shipped to a location of your choice, but rather you will be asked to pick up the phone at an AT&T store where they will request a large security deposit. If your credit is fine and they ship to the location of your choice, you will simply be preassigned a telephone number.

3. If you're an existing customer, they will ask for the telephone number which they will cross-check with AT&T's servers to determine eligibility, and price the phone accordingly ($199 to $699). Once the purchase is completed, that telephone number is flagged as "used" on AT&T's system so that you will not be able to purchase another phone on it.

4. In order for Apple to quickly and efficiently mass-produce and mass-distribute to everyone, all iPhone 4's will be factory-sealed in a box with an non-programmed micro-SIM card already in its tray. You will be prompted by iTunes to activate your number on that phone when you plug it in, and the micro-SIM card will then be programmed.

Of course, any issues with activation or purchasing, and you'll likely end up having to "reserve" for an in-store pickup or wait on line on launch day.

2. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

Well said, I think this is how it will generally happen.

I don't think the ATT/Apple sites will be updated until the preorder date, June 15th.

3. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Sorry but you are wrong, both AT&T and Apple are going to accept pre-orders on June 15. Please read the press release.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=1574

All AT&T branded iPhones are shipped from China with a new un-activated Microsim. The SIM information and the IMEI information printed on a lablel and attached to the box. The box is scanned to assign the ICCI and IMEI data to the AT&T account that the order was fulfulled against it does not matter if you ordered from Apple or AT&T.

Your price / eligibility is determined when you pre-order, both systems require a credit check and the AT&T system is used to process that request. If the credit check fails you will have to a retail location and make a deposit. Your credit check is valid for 30 days.

If you are a new customer to AT&T, you have a choice during the order process to select a new AT&T number or port your existing number ( you can even check if your phone number can be ported to AT&T, not all qualify).

Even if you are porting from another carrier, you can choose a temp AT&T number and you have 30 days to complete the porting process.

What are you really trying to capture in this thread because you are off to a rocky start on facts?

Dave

4. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Not bad, also, I doubt Apple will send out phones with sims already in the tray. Seems like too much of a hassle and could slow production. Easier to just ship them with the sim card in its packet along with the phone once it hits the states

5. dave006 Contributor

dave006

No, both the iPhone 3G and the 3GS came with the SIM pre-installed in the sealed package from China. Think of it as part of the Carrier lock proces in the packaging step. There were crazy issues with the original iPhone an getting customers to insert the SIM correctly in the tray and some could not even find the SIM tray or the extraction tool ( fancy paperclip ) in the fancy Apple packaging.

Dave

6. elephunkman macrumors 65816

When you preorder for a new line, you only complete the pre-authorization. The rest you have to do in store.