Theory on same day pre-order. Server Load?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Craiger, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

It's pretty simple. I think the reason Apple is switching to same day pre-orders is so that they don't have quite as many people taking down their servers.

When they waited three days before the pre-order, it gave EVERYONE who wanted to pre-order a heads up of when it would happen three days in advance.

With the iPad 3, some people probably didn't even know it was available until later that night after work. It took me maybe 45 minutes to get the iPad 3, but I remember the iPhone 4 took like 12 hours.

2. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

Yeah I agree with this. Ordering my iPad 3 was so fluant and hassle free when I got home from work on pre-order day.

3. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

I don't k ow if that is quite accurate. They might say what day it is, but they never say what time they are going to star taking pre-orders. So once the word gets out, you start to see the trickle down effect. I fear once people get word if it is same day the servers will get crushed since everyone is still wound up from the announcement and there is built up demand. I think once the ball is rolling, best get on early or else you are screwed either way.

4. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Not true. I've know what time to start preordering for everything I've ever preordered. And it's been 3am EST.

5. Craiger thread starter macrumors 6502a

Craiger

I see what you are saying. Basically they just have to keep us on our toes, but I still think a lot of the general public doesn't know about the new iphone until after the announcement. We fanboys will always be hitting those servers first for sure though!

I should have put this in the op, but I wonder if anyone in Apple has pitched the idea of PRE pre-orders. Everyone can just pre-order then next iphone a couple months in advance and then simply opt-out with 3 days of the announcement if they aren't happy. It will never happen, but funny to think that they would probably get millions of pre-pre-orders!

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

same day preorders would definitely help out their servers. Not many people outside of us "nerds" :) know that apple is having a media event on the 12th. I would be much happier if pre-orders were available just an hour or so after the event. By time the general public found out, I would already have mine ordered.

7. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

That might be true previously, the new iPad as on sale for pre–orders around 3PM EST, so you never know.