There an APP so I can just push the top or bottom button only unlocks the phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhone Russ, Sep 25, 2012.

1. iPhone Russ, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012

iPhone Russ macrumors member

Just got my iPhone 5. I had been using the Blackberry 9900 and years before that a Droid. On the Blackberry the button to turn the screen on was recessed a little bit so the phone almost never turned on accidentally and you just pressed one button and the phone screen came on unlocked and ready for action. On the iPhone 5, pushing the button on the top (or the bottom) and then the slide to unlock is wearing me out. It seems small but it is 50% more effort than before times 100% more need to turn the screen on because of the lack of an LED indicator. Is there an APP so I can just push the top or bottom button only and the phone is unlocked and it's not a 2 step process?

2. DollFaceDork macrumors 6502

DollFaceDork

3. c2c4c macrumors newbie

Haha, never heard such a complaint. I doubt it is changeable in iOS. Now if it were android...

4. protobiont macrumors 6502a

5. youspork macrumors newbie

LOL its not that much of an extra effort or "wear" on the phone.

6. retinarob macrumors regular

RunKeeper would be a good place to start.

7. DollFaceDork macrumors 6502

DollFaceDork

Ugh I spelt wear wrong.

Where is my mind :eek:

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

The iphone is trying to keep you from accidentally dialing from the touch screen. Your bb solution doesn't apply, because it doesn't have a sensitive touch screen.
    For now, you can keep the screen from auto locking, but that's stupid imo.
    When the jb comes out, there might be a solution there. Until then, you'll have to exert a little effort. :rolleyes:

9. iPhone Russ, Sep 25, 2012

iPhone Russ thread starter macrumors member

Workout app.. very funny..

----------

If I had the iPhone 4 it wouldn't be a challenge because I can reach the top with my pointy finger, but because the iPhone 5 is taller I have to adjust the way I'm holding it (of course the phone wants to slip out of my hand) and it's a little bit of a pain. I have to look at the screen more than with my former phone because there is not an LED so I get even more exercise..

10. iPhone Russ, Sep 25, 2012

Case with recessed top button and one press unlock app

Hey what about this... An iPhone case where the top button is a little recessed, like on the Blackberry 9900, and an app to go with it. The app would make the iPhone unlock when 1) pressing the bottom button and doing the slide to unlock process (nothing new) OR 2) just pressing the top button (now recessed a little in the case)..

Does this type of case already exist for the iPhone 4/4s?

11. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

You can do press to unlock if you are jailbroken and use Activator.

12. iPhone Russ thread starter macrumors member

Just checked out Activator.. looks like a good solution.. no special case required.

13. pbrooks macrumors regular

pbrooks

How do you get through the day?

14. tys macrumors 6502

You want the NolockScreen jailbreak tweak.
    I used it on my iPad before getting a Smart Cover.
    I'd love a mini Smart Cover for the iPhone!

15. Applejuiced, Sep 25, 2012

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No.
    Neither the case exists or the app/software to do something like that would ever be approved to go on the appstore by Apple.
    They want you to unlock it the default way they choose.
    You wont be able to change the way the iphone unlocks unless you jailbreak it and then there will be more options.
    But you can never change that unlock behavior on stock firmware.

16. iPhone Russ, Sep 25, 2012

very efficiently and away from the flock...:cool:

----------

When I had a Droid a few years back I could just go to the andriod market and pick out something amoung several options but seems clear to me that I wil need to table my thoughts on this activity until iOS6 is jailbroken in a few months. Thanks for the feedback and direction.

17. phillyi macrumors member

To OP:
    I too have been looking for something similar for awhile (also a former BB user)...the whole lockscreen just seems redundant to me. As others have mentioned activator is the closest thing I have found. Unfortunately it is a jailbreak tweak which is not currently applicable.

Nolockscreen works but unfortunately it has one flaw...every time you receive a msg it unlocks itself automatically. why its designed like that I have no clue...makes no sense to me.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    The android market is very different than the strict electric barb wired Apple wall:D

19. iPhone Russ thread starter macrumors member

In the last 6 days I have become accustom to using the bottom button and the slide to unlock.. however I still have to make the road trip with my pointy finger to to the top of the iPhone 5. I wish I could just press the bottom button to also turn the screen off. Is it possible to turn the screen off with the bottom button?

20. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Nope. But you can reduce the time out time until the screen auto-offs.

21. iPhone Russ thread starter macrumors member

I have Auto-Lock equal to 1 minute.. I'l try to remember to let it go into auto-lock when it's on my desk and not going into the pocket or brief case.

22. Jman13 macrumors 68000

My lord, really? The 'road trip' to lock the phone? You are seriously the first person I have EVER heard complain about how difficult or time consuming it is to lock and unlock an iPhone. And this is a forum where literally every single issue is magnified to 1000x actual severity. Are you also upset that you have to move your fingers out the 2" needed to turn your turn signal on in the car?

23. iPhone Russ, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012

I have the iPhone 5 which is taller. It was just released last week so no one could comment on the shape until recently. Maybe this is why you are just hearing about it. I did not have to adjust my grip to get to the top button of the 4/4s since it's shorter. I just noticed a commercial about how you can reach across the iPhone 5 with your thumb. Apple thinks the motion ergonomics are important. My thoughts around how to turn the display off a little easier are relevant. I’m looking forward to jail breaking my iphone 5 unless Apple blesses us with an app or an update to fix.