There are a ton of 4 and 4S out there in the wild

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Adelphos33, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502

For all the talk about the 5/5s/5c, these 4/4s still appears to me to be the most common phone out there. Are these users upgrading, and what are they upgradng to? I haven't really observed a rush of these more casual users to upgrade to either the 5s or 5c.

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

Remember that people who have the 4/4s didn't necessarily buy them when they were first released. Some people still were buying them over the past year so they're probably not eligible for upgrade right now.

3. Ingster macrumors 6502

Ingster

My wife had my 4 until she got a 5, now my dad has the 4, my mum will be getting my 4s as an upgrade from her 3gs when my 5s eventually arrives!!!!! so they are out there and there are a large proportion of hand me downs

4. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Yes I preordered 4S on launch day and received that Friday. I also ordered 5S on launch day, 50 minutes after launch, and still stuck on "october" shipping date and processing. the 4S is working as well as it has so I'm not in need of the new phone, but it's tough to know that apple would let phones ordered within an hour of the launch wait an entire month or more.

5. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

And I assume since these phones are still serving their needs, the owners doesn't seem to feel the urgency to upgrade. Some of these people will be a good target market for iPhone 5c.

6. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

Remember too that the 4s was launched later as well, sometime in mid-October. I got mine on launch day and my contract doesn't end for a few more days still. There are millions of people just like me who are waiting for their contracts to expire before upgrading.

7. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

My 4 is only 2 years old because I got it in July before the 4S (yes, I knew it was coming - but hey, I still have Verizon unlimited!).

I'm trying to sort out what to do - I actually need a new phone like yesterday. Maybe today it will decide to ring??

It had 2 falls in the last month (and none prior), and I think something is tweaked inside.

However, I can't walk in and buy a 5S at my local verizon store, and since it is a business account, I can't go elsewhere and buy it either....

8. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

My gf has the 4S and will keep it until her 24 month contract ends in Jan 2014 when she will get the 5S.

9. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

The trend will continue for a while longer. These phones are expensive and not everyone can upgrade. They sell more and more devices for each iteration. Not necessarily a bad thing for people to still be using 4/4S...

10. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Not everyone buys their phones right when they are released. My girlfriend got an iPhone 4 6 months ago. Many other people do the same. They buy a phone when they need a phone. Not right when one comes out.

11. hacke macrumors member

I don't want to upgrade from my iPhone 4s, love the form factor and the functionality. There's nothing more a mobile phone has to have. And my contract already ended.

12. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I was actually thinking quite the opposite the other day.

A lot of people do still have the 4/4S, including me. But I am noticing a lot more people now have the 5. The 4/4S is slowly being wiped away. Too bad, its my favorite design. :)

I have been able to upgrade since Aug 15th, and haven't figured out if I will yet. I find it hard to part with the 4S. If/when I upgrade, I am keeping the 4S locked away, not selling my first ever iPhone.

13. blarivee macrumors 6502

Waiting for the craziness to die down. I prefer to walk into the store and get it.

14. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Thanks to their reduced price points, the 4 and 4S sold VERY well last year even though the 5 was the latest phone.

Many people don't need the latest and greatest and price matters more to them so they go with the 'free' phone. Expect the 4S to sell very well again this coming year.

15. stevemiller macrumors 65816

i've posted this elsewhere, but:

thanks to sorry state of canadian wireless industry (at least when i purchased), i got a launch day 4S but i won't be eligible for an upgrade until april of 2015.

that said, the 4S currently isn't really lacking anything i need from a smartphone. i've survived this long without a fingerprint scanner, and for a bigger screen i have an ipad, laptop and hdtv with airplay.

16. MeUnix macrumors 6502

I am still using an iPhone 4S and I am eligible for an upgrade. One reason I haven't upgraded is because my 4S still works perfectly fine. Even though I want the 5S (really bad :D), I am holding off on spending the extra money right now; most likely the 5S will be my Christmas present to myself along with a new MacBook Pro that will be released soon.

Also, my 4S fits my needs in a smartphone; I don't use my phone as my main source of entertainment so it works well for me.

17. Matt8045 macrumors regular

Agreed in my classes it's probably 80% 4/s and the rest 5/s. That nasty 30 pin charger is a great way to spot em

18. mavere macrumors member

Snapshot from marketing/analytics company Fiksu.com:

[​IMG]

4 + 4S combined still takes up almost 60% of the market.

19. terzinator macrumors 6502

We have an AT&T biz acct, and until this release, we had to go to AT&T. But they recently changed that, so we were able to get our 5S's at the Apple Store.

Might check into that. Unless you already did and Verizon is different. Then nevermind.

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Cheap people don't hesitate to buy refurbished 4/4S with $0 down and they're too cheap to upgrade.

21. yinz macrumors 6502a

iPhone 4S still runs very quickly. Maybe because I'm still on iOS 5.1.1 without jailbreak. I read on my iPad so I don't need to get a bigger screen.

I do want the lightning connector but that isn't enough to get me to pay $700 or start a new contract.

22. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

I'm a minimalist user with my iPhone 4. Unless they develop a bottom exploit for a newer iPhone, I will keep my iPhone 4 until it disintegrates.

23. Dominicanyor macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

Eventually I will get the new 5s when every store have it available without waiting for another delivery at the stores.

24. Eddie Bombay macrumors 6502

25. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

My mom is using the 4 now and she is very happy with it :)