There are four versions of iPod. Is it time for multiple versions of iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thermal, Aug 12, 2010.

1. thermal macrumors regular

When Apple introduced the iPod in 2001, they only offered the 5GB hard-drive based classic. They now offer the shuffle, nano, classic, and touch.

Do you think Apple should also offer multiple versions of the iPhone? I could see the current version plus a larger-screened version (say 4.2 inch) co-existing.

2. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

3. mrathee macrumors 6502

... there are multiple versions... 3g, 3gs, 4 and 8gb, 16gb, 32gb, etc

4. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

The thing about the iPhone is its a great all-in-one. It has a great browser, music player, phone etc... Anything smaller might sacrifice one of those features.

I think the only other version of the iPhone will be the CDMA version for Verzion's network in summer 2011.

5. timerollson macrumors 65816

No. Last thing Apple needs to do is go the RIM route and have 9382523043829048 models that do the exact same thing with minute differences.

"Hey, is that the iPhone?"
    "No. This is the iPhone 4500."
    "Cool. I have the iPhone 4530."
    "What's the difference?"
    "..."

Just keep the same version and have it available on other networks.

6. Tee Hee macrumors member

Only thng I can think of that can be added that won't hinder performance is make it bigger or a hardware keyboard. Other than that just boost performance.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Also, don't forget the effect it would have on the app store. Different screen sizes and resolutions would make it more difficult for developers to support their apps.

8. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

My idea was to sacrifice one of those features - the browser. No apps. Just your basic contacts, calendar, photos, music and video. I think of it more as a combo iPod nano / dumb phone than a smaller iPhone. Dumb phones are 80%+ of the market.

9. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Ease of use and product continuity is how Apple brought the smartphone from a "geek/business only" device into the must-have device for mainstream consumers.

Maybe a 4" iPhone next year, but I wouldn't expect much more than that.

10. thermal thread starter macrumors regular

Not the same. There are multiple versions of the iPod Nano (8gb, 16gb, 32gb, last years etc), but there are four distinct versions of iPod.

11. miki66 macrumors 6502

miki66

12. cujimmy macrumors member

I've always thought they should have the iPhone and the iPhone Pro so that people who have Apple products to feel 'special' can continue to feel 'special'.

And I don't mean the 3GS and 4 - just keeping the older one going isn't a range of models!

13. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I'd love to see a 2.8" iPhone nano. Also maybe the iPhone Flip: an affordable flip phone with built in iPod and iPod games. Comes free with a contract. In the UK, £69 for unlocked pay and go. That would own. People could then afford an iPhone, and say 'hey! I have an iPhone!'.

14. timerollson macrumors 65816

That sounds incredibly ugly.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

15. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

16. malevolant macrumors 6502

Very ugly. I could never see myself holding either of those.

17. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

As far as the keyboard, won't ever happen.
    I don't know how long you have been an apple follower, but if you go back and listen to the introduction of the first ever iPhone, Steve jobs says that one of the inspirations for it was how he despised hard keyboard. He thinks they are ugly and limited in function. The iPhone will die as a device before they put a keyboard on it.

18. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

As a developer, the one big advantage that sets the iPhone apart from Android, Blackberry, Windows Mobile, and other mobile platforms is that there are four models of the iPhone as of this date, with varying capacity.

This means that QA is a lot easier than other platforms. With Android, a dev has to run QA on phones with slider keyboards, Blackberry style keyboards, trackballs, touch-trackballs, arrow keys, various sizes of screens, various DPI of screens, various RAM, scads of different CPUs, six versions of the operating system, and radio types (CDMA versus GSM.)

I really don't want to see the iPhone fragment. I just want to see one new iPhone each year, perhaps with differing capacities to suit the price points. This means I can spend more time working on the app and less time running QA.

19. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

buck up sporto...I see you:cool:

20. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Yeah right. If Apple were to ever release something like that you and everyone else would salivate at the thought of owning one.

21. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

If there were multiple versions of the iPhone, I think the increase in "Which iPhone should I get" threads would cripple the servers.

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, those are awful.

Sorry, I wouldn't buy any of those no matter who made them.

23. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I don't know how long you have been an Apple follower, but Jobs is a salesman first and foremost, and is well known for putting down anything that the device he is currently pushing doesn't have or use.

That is, right up until he changes his mind and puts that something on his device, and then suddenly it's "like magic".

Cheers! :)

PS. He didn't say ugly. He said they take up space and always have the same buttons. Of course, that nicely ignored the screen space taken up by a virtual keyboard, and the lack of quick functionality that dedicated buttons can bring. But hey, when you're selling something, you work with what you have.