There are people tasked with taping Trump’s papers back together after he rips them

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

And no, this is not from The Onion...

Aside from being appalled at this infantile behavior...aside from the idea that President Baby has to be saved from breaking the law by his own WH aides armed with a roll of scotch tape...

Now that these guys are fired, is anybody saving Trump’s presidential records?

2. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

There'd better be someone making sure the relevant laws are followed. One of the legal problems of the recently resigned Missouri governor was related to the apparent efforts of his and his aides' efforts to work around the state's transparency laws by using the Confide app that deletes text messages after they've been read. The governor's office had tried to conceal how many of the staffers were engaged in the practice. Apparently it was a majority of them, and about three times as many as the state's AG had been able to determine by inquiry prior to a court order that produced the requested info.

But then Trump's administration has made a practice of trying to work around, disregard or mock whatever laws (and courts) that it's not fond of, so who knows if anyone's minding the store now on Presidential documents retention.

It's a serious issue. I only wish it were the biggest problem we have with Trump's government. Still, neglecting something like that could at some point become one of his biggest legal problems, because it could be construed as abuse of power, neglect of official duties, etc.

"Just politics" and part of a "witch hunt" though, right? :rolleyes:

3. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

I also read this over the weekend. As is typical of such an unsexy story, I expect it to disappear under nonsense like Trump hysterically blaming Trudeau for meekly announcing an expected counter-tariff after HE left the G7 meeting early. I wonder whose responsible for taping up the calendar used to coordinate Singapore with G7? See, even I just buried the story of two mere $65k government lifers tasked with Scotch taping official documents out Toddler-in-Chief tore up. Sudden idea: all presidential documents must be printed in board book form.

One of the deeply disconcerting aspects of this particular story is Its seeming mundanity. It welcomes “whatever” or cheers from folks who want to shrink government as if $65k/year (a pittance to live in the DC area, trust me) qualifies as “swamp.” No, these are worker bees. They trudge, in their own way, 9 to 5 like the romanticized miners. Instead of black lung, they get ulcers.

They are also representative of similar stories across the board. Political appointees hired in non-political offices during a hiring freeze while federal workaday folks are fighting to keep the retirement plans they agreed to in exchange for depressed income (that for years at a time is frozen from cost of living, let alone raises). Employees being “sent to the turkey farm” or having fired co-workers’ projects dumped in their laps, complete with deadlines to compete with their own. Employees terminated without explanation (“you used the wrong kind of Scotch tape on that document,” maybe?). This should sound relatable familiar to frequenters of Trump rallies.

These are stories that won’t get much coverage. Dull. Dull. Dull. And we somehow forget the government employs “people.” Many of whom aren’t particularly political. Some fell into the job. Some had ambitions but life got in the way and this was available. Some simply believed there was honor working in the sweaty, lower decks of the ship of state and now go home to see themselves vilified by leadership and some media outlets.

It’s natural that people forget that whether “blue” or “red,” “white collar” or “blue collar,” most of us toil away at some analog to conveyor belts making widgets but in times of a culture war it’s that much more important we remain aware and vigilant. Lord knows, when the tide turns (as tides do) you don’t want to see an army of disgruntled former government employees firing their staple guns into MAGA crowds.

4. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Better to tear I suppose than use a cross cut paper shredder.

5. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Perhaps if Hillary had someone to keep her from breaking the law..........

------------------

I did read this yesterday and am wondering WTH. Do we need to archive the actual copy the President read? Why not just give him copies?

6. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

Yeah. But maybe others write on them before he gets them. LOL maybe they've started writing stuff like "see i told you this would happen" against all advice from Kelly...

Just get a President w/ the self-control and direction-taking capabilities of a 7-year-old. They've reached the age of reason, are still curious, not too jaded, and often even have a sense of humor.

7. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

He couldn't find it.....it was in Hillary Clinton's office :).

8. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I was waiting for a Clinton joke to be cracked here. But her preference is BleachBit.

9. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Hillary constantly being used to defend Trump either means he's just as bad as her, or that she did nothing wrong.

10. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

So Trump is a job creator, right? They should laminate all the papers around the WH and see what fun transpires...

11. chown33 Moderator

Staff Member

I was going to suggest Tyvek "paper" (the stuff ultra-strong mailing envelopes are made of).

12. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

That might make sense if the Whitehouse Tapers had not recently been dismissed (the last line of the story, which Thomas Veil's quote omits).

13. rafark macrumors 65816

rafark

14. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

Ripping or damaging papers is actually a pretty effective method of sorting.

I will go through 20 printed drafts of something, and if I mix them, it gets confusing. So, I'll fold prior packets of paper to indicate that it's not the current stack that I'm working with. But, keeps it handy for a few minutes.

Once I'm completely done with a project, I will rip all prior versions to prevent me from accidentally getting old drafts mixed into final papers. Plus, I hate having clutters of paper packets around taking up space. Then at some point, I go through something and find paperwork, and I have to determine whether it is important, or junk. It's far easier to just rip and be done.

If I run across old piles of paper, and I don't know what is what, then I just throw it all into a box and say forget it. I hate sorting. It's there if it ever becomes important enough to sort.

I could see being forced to store everything as annoying. I'd be like that isn't even the current paperwork, get it out of here.

If the law says that they have to keep everything, then so be it. Let him file it his way. The staff can then refile it (if that means fixing it). It's still part of history, and representative of a certain person's style, in the history archives.

15. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

It had been mentioned in the thread. I wasn't able to be clear as my tongue was firmly in my cheek with what you quoted...

16. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Now that you mention it, it seems apropos. The CFSG Presidential Library will have a room where you can wade through the pieces of his papers and fling handfuls around like confetti. They will even have a running contest that awards a prize to anyone who can find a piece of the Constitution.

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Seems like a dick move if he knows someone has to tape them up.

18. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

If Lincoln had marked draft copies that were now replaced by burning the corner or the center with a candle, and the historical archives dictated that everything must be saved, it might annoy the current staff.

But today’s generation would look at the historical documents as not only significant because of their contents, but also because they bore the mark that reflected the process of Lincoln.

Historians would discredit any Lincoln draft that didn’t have scorch marks.

If the ripped papers are drafts, then I see no issues. Let him sort as he sees fit. Someone else can go through his pile of discarded papers and do what they need to file them.

If you walked into my office and wanted to file things your way, that’s great. Anything that is folded a certain way is a draft... anything ripped is trash to me, do whatever you want. If you want to keep it, then do what you need to file it.

The important stuff is grouped a certain way. That stuff, nobody touches until I say you can.