There are two types of people in American society....

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Apr 15, 2016.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

People that like superhero movies. And those of us that don't.

I don't really mind if Hollywood studios want to spend hundreds of millions of dollars creating 3-hour CGI-laden borefests revolving around comic book characters (most of whom were dreamt up decades ago). And I don't really care that much if millions of teenage boys stand in line to go and see them.

Its just that....

I get a little resentful when adults - and by this I mean 40- and 50 year old male (and they usually are male) humans - start behaving as if the minutiae of the latest plot points and casting choices of whatever Marvel or DC franchise is currently screening is of any interest, whatsoever, to the rest of us.

At least half a dozen times, in the past few weeks, I've had to throw up my hands and walk away from discussions where some middle-aged white dude was blathering on about the merits of Captain America or the improbable conflict between Batman and Superman. The other people listening to this spiel were clearly losing interest fast. But to no avail.

I make a point of not inflicting my literary, cinematic, or musical tastes on unwilling or uninterested bystanders. I don't think once I've discussed my appreciation of modern German cinema; my struggles with Jonathan Franzen; or the glories of Fat Possum recordings of little-known Mississippi bluesmen.

If you happen to like Superhero movies: Great. Good for you. Enjoy them all you want. I won't stop you.

But please keep in mind the fact that there is literally an entire universe of culture and entertainment out there, one that is not built around people wearing spandex, masks, and capes. Do yourselves (and your acquaintances) a favor: If you broach the subject of Aquaman or Wonder Woman whilst in conversation with another adult, and you aren't immediately rewarded with enthusiastic and informed repartee - change the subject. You are boring your audience. And broadcasting to everyone within earshot you have the cultural intellect of a spotty twelve year old.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

America can be very odd. I mean corporal punishment is still allowed in schools in the red states.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You sayin' somethin' bout mah country Frenchy? If you don't like 'Murica you can geeeeeeeet out.

:p

5. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

I hate comic books as much as the next guy...but I think you're taking it too seriously. They're not meant to be comparable to Citizen Kane. Simply don't watch them.

As for interacting with people who do take them super seriously...if it doesn't bother you then don't interact with those people

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

How long must we wait for the Chlorophyll Kid movie?

Critical theory, the university curriculum which takes normal people and makes them stupid.

7. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

That's a plausible hypothesis.

The problem with the whole superhero genre is that it seems more like a business than an art form. Not that there is anything wrong with business, per se. I certainly want movie making to be be rewarding to its most skilled practitioners. But so many of these movies seem like nothing more than an elaborate two hour commercial for the next installment. One you've paid ten bucks for.

And thats made by a guy who likes, and appreciates, the genre.

He brings up an interesting hypothesis: Maybe, like westerns, which at one time dominated the US movie industry, superhero movies will sooner or later fall out of fashion. That we'll move on to richer, more innovative, plot, character, and dialog-based movies.

Maybe. But I'm not counting on it happening anytime soon.

8. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

But Hussein is a wonderful super hero :eek:

9. dec. Suspended

dec.

Are you "religious"? (I assume that you have the guts to answer this question truthfully?)

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Was this entire thread so that you could wax on about your sophisticated German cinema tastes and **** on people who like westernized action movies?

I thought so.

11. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

He mentioned it once. Your inferiority complex is showing.

Almost all comic book movies are cultural genocide.

12. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

You threw up your hands and walked away from this (apparently white, because that's important) male because you were not interested in his topic. That is one appropriate conclusion for how society and conversation works. Go find someone you can relate to with your niche preferences, rather than just complain online about others' opinions.

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Thank you for this fascinating recommendation. I have just ordered it.

I've been struck too by the…….somewhat sterile intellectual hinterland of many of the movies coming from the US in recent times.

It seems to me that they are creating is not just escapist fantasy (and I write as someone who likes reading good, well written works of fantasy), it is unoriginal distracting fantasy. CGI special effects replace plot, and cliché replaces character.

And, as @vrDrew points out, the target demographic is clearly male, male teenagers, and - for that matter - the sort of older males, who find this sort of thing fascinating.

14. MadeTheSwitch, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016

MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I like superhero movies. But what I don't like is all the endless reboots and recast. They are going to burn the genre out, and we will be on to the next thing. I predict westerns. It's about time for that genre to come around again.

15. unlinked macrumors 6502a

I get that you don't like white dudes but do we really need a whole post about it.

Anyway there are clearly more than 2 types since apparently somewhere out there are people who like DC superhero movies.

16. Scepticalscribe, Apr 16, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

We do when that has become the sole cultural narrative coming out of the US.

Once upon a distant time, you had a thriving cultural scene which entertained, challenged and made people think. You defined the art form of movie making.

And now, your entertainment industry is reduced to making reboots, or endless retellings of tales with which we are more than familiar.

Why not try to come up with something original, and creative, such as a new story?

17. Snoopy4, Apr 16, 2016

Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

I'm not a fan of super hero movies, but this thread is just rediculous. It's a freakin movie. It's there to entertain. Jeeze.

By the way, all Woody Allen movies are boring rubbish. Art? LOL There are plenty of boring narcissistic art films like Birdman to choose from that one can pretend makes them think and therefore more sophisticated. Go find one and quit complaining.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 16, 2016 ---
    So make you're own movies and quit complaining.

18. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Maybe it always was. Shrek seemed kinda original when I saw it but it is based on a book. So did Edge of Tomorrow but it is based on manga. Casablanca is based on a play. These days the creative lineage of movies is pretty easy to find. Comic book movies obviously take the whole thing to a new level.

19. Scepticalscribe, Apr 16, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

My own movies? I'll pass, thanks. Ah, no, my career has taken me elsewhere, unless it is documentary making I am not much interested in movie making. Personally, I prefer the written word, and adore dissecting the wonderfully complex nuances of the English language.

And why not complain at the dreadful quality of many - if not most - of the movies currently being screened? They are really rather atrociously bad.

Is it any more ridiculous than a full thread on the cinematic piece of rubbish - the derivative drivel, devoid of originality, intelligence, or genuine narrative interest - masquerading as a serious movie, the one which features both Batman and Superman?

I confess that I find myself stunned at the number of threads that discuss pretty……uninspiring and unoriginal movies at great length and in tedious detail (@vrDrew is quite right to draw attention to this - I have wondered about it myself) - when threads that discuss really good movies (and no, really good movies don't have to be obscure art house cinema offerings, though some of them come from that stable) are less numerous.

And seriously, why so defensive about someone taking issue with the dismal quality of much movie making in the US today? And with the spectacle of middle aged men arguing arcane details about movies of negligible artistic or creative worth?

I will happily argue about Star Trek: This is fiction, but - at its best - intelligent, thought provoking fiction. I have no quarrel with using the format of children's stories - such as cartoons, or comic book characters - to tell a thoughtful tale - sometimes it can achieve this a lot better than a more serious format.

The problem is that so much of hat is produced these days, is, frankly, complete and utter dross, and yet, adults (children are excused their perfectly natural delight in this world) profess to take this nonsense seriously.

Shrek - especially the first movie - was brilliant. It was clever, witty, laugh out loud funny, had a great plot and an excellent cast; moreover, it was groundbreaking in the way it used cartoons to tell its story, and stunning in the superb level of art it managed to create in depicting its characters, background and story. Unfortunately, its sequels failed to live up to the superlative standard - creative, narrative, and witty yet insightful - that it had set.

20. Populism, Apr 16, 2016

Populism macrumors regular

Populism

There are two types of people in American society ... those who divide people into two types, and everyone else.

21. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

There are two types of people in my family: people who enjoy cheap, cheesy sci-fi & horror movies from the 50s & 60s, and my wife.

22. Robisan macrumors 6502

With only minor substitutions the entire OP would apply to a good portion of PRSI discourse...

...also, too, Rosie is fat, nyuck, nyuck, nyuck.

23. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

I agree generally with your statement, however, because a movie has an original story, doesn't necessarily make it great. Take for instance any of Stanley Kubrick's movies (admittedly I am biased since he's a hero of mine). Or even Frank Capra's "Mr. Smith goes to Washington" I don't think the prospect of an idealistic junior senator trying to go up against a politically corrupt city (a sort of david vs goliath which i think is even referred to in the movie) is an 'original' idea. But his masterful directing and being able to generate tension/drama is what makes the movie a classic in my opinion. Also it's as relevant back then as it is now (but that's a plot thing)

other than casual movie goers opinions, tell me one good reason as to why birdman is "pretentious". do you even know what that word means? have you even seen the film? its one thing to not like the plot, but pretentious? lol. the direction, cinematography and acting is superb. and it takes a look at one of the most human elements of life: redemption and self-worth.

the story itself isn't that original but the way the director and camera conveys michael keaton's character emotions visually is the very definition of the art of making a film. if you don't get that, you don't get cinema. your view of movies as just to "entertain" is incredibly narcissistic in its own right. why should they be made to entertain you?

24. divergirl macrumors regular

I don't usually like superhero movies myself but I certainly don't begrudge those who do. There's nothing wrong with being passionate about something, and if it really bothers you, try changing the subject.

My friends took me to see both Captain America and Iron Man and I was thoroughly bored by both, because it felt mostly like crashes and booms and special effects with no substance. But my friends loved it, so again, personal taste.

Now that aside, despite the fact that I'm not much into superheroes, I'm pleasantly surprised to find just how much I'm enjoying Supergirl. At its heart it's a story about people and the story is really just a backdrop to explore the connections between them. There's a lot of women supporting women (most prominent on the show is the relationship between Supergirl and her sister, and between her and her boss) and I think it's really well done.

25. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

There are really two main complaints I have about Superhero movies in general:

One, there are far too many of them. Between the competing DC and Marvel universes, the X-Men, and who knows what else there are probably a at least a round half dozen of these films coming out each year for the foreseeable future. Thats not counting the other aging movie franchises - the James Bonds; the Star Treks, the Star Wars. Or delving into the other genres of horror and sci-fi.

I have no problem not going to a movie I'm not interested in. Thats not the issue. Its the fact that I'm finding it increasingly difficult to avoid be pestered by cretins who think they've stumbled onto meaningful art. When its really just a lot of bangs and special effects. Which brings us to the second issue:

Two: Superhero movies are getting pretentious. I'm fine with any art form being used allegorically. But anyone kidding themselves that Batman vs. Superman has any useful political or social message is deluded. You might see parallels to the destruction unleashed in Man of Steel with the events of 9/11. But what possible lesson are we to take away from that? Answer: None.

Actually, its worse than that. The mainstreaming of superheroes in American popular culture fills (some) of its audience with dangerous illusions. Like the fact that the answer to any of America's problems lies in the hands of multibillionaire outsiders who will conveniently come to our rescue. Freeing us from the unpleasant little matter of paying taxes to pay for real, actual, law enforcement, military, and intelligence operations. Or from electing politicians who will plan and administer the difficult, often unglamorous work that keeps our society functioning.