There is a limit to the number of open tabs my Air2 can have

Discussion in 'iPad' started by stanw, Jul 1, 2015.

1. stanw macrumors 6502a

i open lots of tabs in Safari and later retrieve them on my iMac, MBP, or the iPad. I have noticed a couple times that many of my tabs are no longer there. I just checked directly on the iPad, and they are gone. It's almost as if at a certain number of tabs, new ones just replace old ones. Have anyone else noticed this? Or is something else going on here?

2. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I would imagine there's a limit to the number of tabs. Did u think you could just keep opening tabs and nothing would happen?

3. Kendo macrumors 68000

4. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Just curious, why do you need to have 20 tabs open?

6. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

On iOS 6, sure. Limit is much higher starting with iOS 7. Of course, the tab refresh issue is also more prevalent particularly on devices with 1GB RAM or less. Tab limit is definitely higher than 20, though. As for why so many tabs open, comparison shopping, referencing forum posts, research, etc.

7. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have lots of websites/blogs that I open tabs from via feedly. No need for pocket or some other service when I can open the tabs on my iPad when I'm busy and can't read them and just access them later on the iPad or a Mac. I can't imagine how anyone could not have more than 9 tabs open at a time...I use pocket and other services for long term saving of articles I need to return to....

8. mopatops macrumors regular

mopatops

Have you tried using the reading list rather than just leaving the tab open for later use? Not sure if it fits your use case.

9. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

I actually have not. Is it just like pocket where you save articles to read later via iCloud? Thanks for the suggestion.

10. mopatops macrumors regular

mopatops

Yeah, similar to pocket but integrated into Safari

11. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Don't ask... According to the "tab gang" you can never have enough opened.

The answer is that they are actively working on 20 different things at once. Ya know, doing research and stuff. Right.

:)

12. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

You must live in your own little world. Most people have 2 or 3 tabs open at most.

13. Ckwilson73 macrumors member

I had never bothered to try reading list, until I read your post. I'm using it now though. Thanks!

14. bniu macrumors 6502a

i think the limit is 25-30 tabs. On mac, haven't hit any limits yet, I usually have about 80 or so tabs open at the same time. Why? Because I like it that way!

15. cynics macrumors G3

You claim someone lives in their own little world then immediately follow that with an arbitrary number?

16. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

Very easily; by not trying to focus on 9 things at once. If I find that I have more than 4 or 5 tabs open I start closing some because there's no way that I'm actively switching between a half dozen different sites and actually getting anything meaningful out of the process. I've heard people claim that they NEED as many as 50 tabs open for their browsing habits and I just roll my eyes, because there's no way that anyone is doing anything efficiently if their attention is divided between dozens of browser tabs.

17. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

18. iosuser macrumors 6502a

I like to open links in a new tab say when shopping. That way I can look at product details, and go back to the original tab for the product listing. Much faster than going back and forth, plus when going back on certain websites it takes you to the top of the page and have to then scroll to find where you were left off.