There is a struggle for the soul of the Republican Party

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Oct 1, 2017.

1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

John Kasich is right, The GOP's soul is rotting from racism, bigotry, and authoritarianism, with a base that values those evil traits and a core that turns a blind eye to it in the hope that they can control that base enough to further a political agenda.

These are dark, dark times in America.

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Not the first time I have heard a prominent Republican say that. And they are right. It is true there is an absolute civil war going on in that party and has been for quite some time. But now it's just worse.

We've been seeing the decline of the GOP since at least the rise of the Tea Party. We are seeing the deck shuffled right before our very eyes. History will look upon this period as a tumultuous turning point.

3. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Honestly Kasich sounds positively reasonable compared to many of the ultra-right hot-heads in the GOP. The GOP flirted with these folk in order to maintain their power. Now it looks like their campaign of causing fear and division is coming home to roost and now the establishment if the focus of irrational anger-mongering. It is well deserved in my opinion and the GOP should get what's coming to it.

FWIW Kasich was the only GOP presidential candidate that made any sense to me in the last election. The rest of the GOP candidates - including Trump - just seemed to be consumed by, and promote, anger, fear, discrimination, selfishness and an irrational disregard for evidence; were bat**** crazy; or both.

4. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

I'd be happier if there was a civil war going on in the party. Then at least it would be an open debate about it ... an admission about the party's weaknesses and how to progress from there.

The Republican Party hasn't reached that point.

It's still trying to portray itself as cohesive and functional. But like an abusive family that tries to act like everything is normal, the neighbors are starting to hear the yells and screams coming from behind the walls.

5. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Best analogy I've heard in a long time.

6. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Good analogy. But even further, some of the family is in front of TV cameras telling their story! It's starting to be right out in the open. People like Paul Ryan might go down with the ship pretending it hasn't run aground, but everyone else knows better.

7. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

In my mind the GOP got so focused on winning at any cost, that now...they realize they don't know what to do. It's fine to unite fractured niches of the Populace under some talking points...but you can't govern with that constituency....

8. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

Lip service.

Cos otherwise those guys would just quit the GOP, found the GNP and start an uphill battle to regain relevance.

But thats the issue here, none of them wants to turn their backs from power and so they swallow all the nonsense in the dim hope they might one day get a payout.

9. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yes and no. I think a lot of people have left the party and are trying to figure out what to do. The era of Trump wasn't just a shock to Democrats and the Clinton's, but to many many people in the Republican party too. And when you are in shock, it takes awhile to get your bearings and figure out what to do and what the best way forward is.

10. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

That era started long before Trump became a viable candidate.

If these people had any backbone they would have either fought the teapots from day 1 or left when they saw they couldn't win.

11. Herdfan macrumors 6502

This thread could just as easily be titled with the Democratic party vs the GOP. Both are going though sea-change events and being pulled from the far fringes of the party.

12. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Yea, totally comparable:

Debate within the Democratic party: Should universal healthcare be provided and financed by the government through tax payments just like the police force or the public library; or should the government only finance the system and rely on private healthcare providers?

Debate within the Republican party: Would taking healthcare away from poor people be enough to finance the tax cuts to the rich we want, or do we need to also take away healthcare from the elderly too? Most poor people are black so whatever about them. On the other hand, old people vote.

Debate within the Democratic party: How much government regulation is appropriate for emerging technologies and industries? On one hand, we don't want to hinder progress or detrimentally influence the industries; on the hand, we have a fundamental interest in protecting the public from monopolies or oligopolies, and some of this emerging stuff has physical dangers that need to analyzed.

Debate within the Republican party: Do you think anyone will notice if we just stop taxing rich people and foreign corporations all together? If we hide in under "middle class tax reform" and "small businesses" nobody will notice, right? It's not like the public has a long-enough attention span for this and Trump will tweet something crazy anyway.

13. 0007776 Suspended

I would bet that we will see an actual split into two parties in the near future. My prediction is Trump will have a primary challenger in 2020. If they win then the Trump wing will take their ball and go home probably either forming a new third party or hijacking an already existing one. If the Moderates lose they will likely also run a third party campaign, and try to draw in enough centrist Democrats to win.

14. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Is that all??

This goes with what I posted here.

15. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I would like to see the moderate Republicans and moderate Dems come together to form a new party. Leave the fringe 20% of each to play in the mess they created.

My prediction is he won't run again.