There is no evident shows that Syria government used chemical weapon

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Nanasaki, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Nanasaki macrumors 6502

Nanasaki

Even if Syria government did, can we 100% sure the oppositions have not use chemical weapon as well? We all know that terrorist groups are inside of opposition, if we really want a war against Assad regime, we must make sure who are we supporting to. Because once we get ride of Assad regime, we might facing extreme group size up the power, turn Syria into extreme nation. That is not what we want.

By the way, we are the last one to critizing chemical weapon. President Regan support Sadam using chemical weapon against Iran back then, we also used chemical weapon during Vietnamese war.

We might as well just let it go. A secularism Syria government is 100% better than extreme Muslim government. Support extreme Muslim can inky bring more harm to America

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

3. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

We still need for independent verification that a nerve agent was used. In any case, I do wonder about the theory that the opposition did this. If they were trying to bring the US into the war, then they would have done it again, before the vote in the UK Parliament.

Also, Syria is one of only a few countries on the planet that has not signed international agreements not to produce or use chemical weapons. All other explanations being equal, the simplest explanation is the most likely. *IF* chemical weapons were used, it is far more likely the Assad regime used them.

4. skunk, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013

skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Needless to say, the only evidence of Assad's complicity is from a telephone call intercept made by the Israelis. Who stands to gain if the US blunders in and gets rid of Assad/Hezbollah, I wonder?

Indeed, there are interviews with (anti-Assad) residents of the area attacked who say it was the Al Nusra brigade, with munitions supplied by the Saudis. It would certainly make far more sense tactically for them to use it to bring in the Americans, rather than for the government to invite retribution on itself while UN inspectors were in the country. The US report ends with a small caveat: "this is as sure as we can be short of confirmation". The whole thing is a set-up. Again. Happens every time.

5. Huntn, Sep 3, 2013

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Although it might seem likely, I would not assume it was the Syrian government. Proof would be much better.

Not trying to make light of it, but you remember what happened in "V" (the movie) don't you?? The government pulled off this trick (a deadly release of a contagion) and blamed it on the terrorists. I see no reason why it could not be reversed. Or maybe the rebels just botched their attack on the government? I'm not saying this is what happened, but it would be nice to see any evidence.

6. skunk, Sep 3, 2013

skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It has always seemed a more likely scenario. Assad is not a fool. All the Americans have offered is some YouTube videos and some dodgy Israeli intel. Everything else is hearsay. Seems highly likely to me that the Al Nusra brigade set the stuff off in the middle of a government bombardment in order to bring the Americans in, and the Israelis provided a bit of doctored intel to tighten the noose.

It would not surprise me if it transpired that the Saudis and the Israelis were working together.

7. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that we need to stay out of it.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I would be interested to know how US members here would feel if they found out that yet another foreign disaster and bout of mass killing had been launched on the back of dodgy intel and manufactured propaganda?

9. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I would be more open to the conspiracy of our politicians are nothing, but puppets of a behind the scenes entity like the league of shadows. ;)

10. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

I'm curious: why aren't people comparing the US's possible/proposed actions to LYBIA (what, 2 years ago now?) as opposed to Iraq?

Lybia went pretty well, all things considered, and was quite a limited engagement.

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The whole thing is dodgy at best. Why do you think the Saudis and Israelis are working together? What's the endgame?

12. skunk, Sep 3, 2013

skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Oh, Libya went splendidly. Quite the holiday paradise now, isn't it?

----------

To get rid of the Shia and Alawite heretics, for the Saudis, and to get rid of their Shia and Alawite enemies, for the Israelis.

13. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

why would the israelis want to get rid of Assad when all he's done is avoid any confrontation with the israelis at all costs? Even Assad the Elder reached the point of avoiding conflict with israelis back in the....late 1980s?

Do you really think the israelis feel they would be better off with a Syria crawling with jihadi fighters anxious for a fight as opposed to the docile Alawite oligarchy?

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What better entertainment than to watch Hezbollah and Al Qaeda battling it out across the border?

15. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

and who is more likely to stay across the border?

as you said;
    For the last several decades the Assad regimes have represented known and secure stability for the israelis. That border has been thoroughly locked down by Syria.

So, Assad? Or a bunch of armed religious fanatics convinced that the road to heaven involves fighting israel?

The idea that israel views the collapse of the Assad regime as anything other than a negative seems highly unlikely

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Excuse my source, but:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...nfirmed-assad-regime-behind-alleged-chemical/

17. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Needs must. :eek:

19. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

well given a commonly expressed view of the inventiveness of faux news, doesn't your "source" actually prove this didn't happen? :p

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'm open to the idea that the telephone intercept was manufactured. :cool:

21. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

of course you are :p

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Well, I watched much of the Senate hearing and I'm still not buying what the Obama administration is peddling.

23. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

me neither.........if there's something I'm pretty sure about, it's that a military strike is absolutely a mistake.

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

25. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

oh? so you mean you think it's going to be a great success this time?