There is NO such thing as an iPhone killer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wrathwitch, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

Seriously, I can see where this statement existed with validity when the iPhone 1st gen came out because it was the benchmark for which all upcoming cell phones followed.

Apple carved the market and now other tech companies have caught up, but the tech is so close and good now that to say any phone "kills" another is just plain BS.

If people are referring to specs, it is not applicable because the tech is neck and neck.

If they are referring to popularity, again, Android and Apple fans are neck and neck in their enthusiasm.

The ONLY way a phone could become a Killer now as it stands is if they came up with a transparent holographic phone that could read your mind and obey your mental commands.

The "iphone killer" train left the station 3 years ago when Apple was in the lead. Now everyone is just CAUGHT up is all!

Either way, gettin tired of the "iphone killer" articles or statements.

Oh and I bought a SSGS3 today and am very excited to get a chance to play with it. I still have my iPad 3 and giving my iP4 to my mom so it will still be loved for a couple more years!

Saying any phone is an "iphone killer" is almost as stupid as saying flavoured ice cream is a "vanilla ice cream killer". Nothing kills the original prototype esp if it has stood on the top of the hill for 3+ years. Everything else is just catch up or improving upon the original product.

2. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

I hope there isn't since my Apple shares would tank without the iPhone blowing away the competition. Apple's brand is so strong now that if the iPhone were to sag, it wouldn't be because of a competitor's product being better, it would be because Apple did something disastrous; e.g. horrible design, massive defect, etc.

3. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

4. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

5. batting1000 macrumors 604

So you're saying the newest Lamborghini is no better than the first car?

6. musty345 macrumors regular

musty345

You've got a point, anything that could be called an iPhone killer would have to be totally revolutionary. I doubt a phone even three times as fast as the iPhone, and twice as thin would kill it due to brand loyalty and the whole Apple experience.

7. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

The iPhone is all about iOS. And only apple has that. So yeah I don't see it going anywhere.

Android is always competing on the hardware ground with all the different manufacturers. So you could have a "galaxy sIII killer" but not really an "android killer"

It would take a lot of consistent screw ups by either party to go the way of the blackberry. Actual screw ups, not just disappointing releases.

8. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

The term, "iPhone killer" is more of a compliment to the iPhone than anything else. Even now, the latest iPhone is used as a measuring stick when other new phones are released. You will see phone comparisons that include the iPhone more often than any other phone. The iPhone's popularity also contributes to it being a standard in which to compare. For people who don't know much about smartphones, many will know what an iPhone is and will recognise the name more so than any other phone. I don't see the iPhone (the device and name) losing its popularity anytime soon.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That term used to be much more widespread after the iPhone first debuted when discussing new phones from competitors. Now reporters know better not to use it anymore given their repeated failure to actually come out with one.

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

You never know. Things can change really quickly.

Currently, as you say, everyone has heard the name "iPhone", even if they haven't really seen or used one themselves (and that happens a lot with older people).

Yet a short five years ago, even people who didn't own one "knew" what a "Palm Pilot" was. Actors in movies and TV shows used Palm PDAs and phones all the time. The name was almost as generic as "Kleenex".

In five or ten years, there's no telling what will be the current hot name.

11. web500sjc macrumors member

if there ever is an iphone killer it will be apple... and they might be close right now.

12. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

this is why Apple won't fail any time soon. They have built and established a great set of products and ecosystem, creating a loyalty to all things Apple. The peace of mind, knowing if something does happen to your iDevice, you can take it in to your local Apple store and get it fixed or replaced, is really a comfort to a lot of people.

13. byziphone4 macrumors member

Are they not putting a dedicated Siri button in vehicles? Did not GM announce plans for this?...Yeah...I don't see the iPhone coming to a end anytime soon!

14. labman macrumors 604

labman

every cycle ends at some point and is replaced by something else might be this year or in a 100 years. All good things must come to a end. Until then I'm along for the ride or until they stop me from jailbreaking.

15. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

Ummm, Apple didn't have the original prototype for jack ish. They didn't invent the MP3, touchscreen smartphone or the tablet computer. So based on your logic, Apple is just playing catch up and improving the original product and they didn't kill the original prototype either.

16. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

What if google released a phone with an 8 core processor, 4 gigs of ram, 2050x1548 screen, and the ability to print legal currency, would that still not be an iPhone killer?

17. rdubya5 macrumors newbie

I think that what a "killer" is typically defined as a product that isn't necessarily better but almost as good but a lot cheaper. Apple has done a good job at pricing their iDevices to be cheap enough that someone can't enter the market with Android or other running on it and under cut the price drastically. Thus there really isn't a true iPhone killer in the market.

18. cynics macrumors G3

"iPhone killer" in the title of a tech article is a very effective way to get people to read the article, that's it! Lol

19. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I can't remember the last time I heard "iPhone killer" used anyway. OP, did you search an old article and rekindle this phrase in your mind or something?

20. Lindenhurst macrumors 6502a

Blackberry killer makes more sense......oh yeah.....that was the iphone

21. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

S3 has a big beautiful screen. Large enough to function as both an "iPhone" and "iPad."

Utilizes flash technology. Many sites still rely on it.

Is an open system. After using iOS since 2007, I forgot what it was like to just pop music on my phone from any device, throw an SD card from my phone (with adapter) into a kiosk to print photos, etc..

etc..

Apple is such a closed system.

S3 was originally a test to new iPhone came out, but I'm pretty confident I won't be returning to an iPhone.

The original iPhone did step things up. I'm pretty sure I was using a Treo 700wx before I switched to the 4GB first iPhone. Times changed a lot since then though.

For me software and system permissions are the key.

Tech is very close now as OP said, that's why software and function is the key.

I have a home full a Mac equipment (literally) and love it, but it functions best in it's circle.

22. lilo777 macrumors 603

Maybe we do get iPhone killer after all

BGR published this today:

Although smartphones based on Android have typically sold more overall units than iOS-based smartphones, Apple’s iPhone has long been the top individual smartphone sub-brand, easily besting the assorted Droids, Galaxies and One-series devices that have stood in its path. But according to Strategy Analytics, Samsung’s Galaxy series has now overtaken the iPhone as the number-one individual smartphone sub-brand in the world.

It's not one-to-one comparison because Galaxy line includes S, Nexus and Note (and some other models?) but still. It's pretty close.

23. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

It is a one to one comparison; all models of iPhone versus all models of the Galaxy. Either way has it killed the iPhone? Far from it, I would say. One product selling more than the other doesn't mean the other product has failed (not saying you implied this).

Now that pay as you go offerings with the iPhone are coming stateside it will be interesting to see how they compare.

24. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I would. It doesn't change anything about the traditional internal combustion engine (ice); it goes faster and rides smoother, but that would be a given with the improvements in technology and engineering.
    On the other hand, I'd argue that the hybrids are better than a traditional ice, because they've made a real improvement to the automobile; I would never go back to a traditional ice.
    Yeah, I don't know if the firm included ipod touch sales or if it was limited to the phone. Unfortunately, the report is a pay to read.
    I guess the hyenas finally overtook the lion. :rolleyes: