There is something deeply wrong with a society more offended by breasts than entrails

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Nov 16, 2013.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

-Sig of one of the Rumor regulars.

Considering that FaceBook band nursing but not real people being decapitatedand the relaxing and allowing to show ultra violent R movies on TV, but movies that deal with love and passion (no hard core) made me ponder the question:

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON???

Over the past few years I was involved in conversations with with 2 teen girls who asked me about sex because they where afraid to ask those with authority (I could offer confidentiality), they both where terrified about it, and worse ignorant. One did not know they could get pregnant by sex. (nothing not about criminal activities, just basic questions, and I offered advice how to find appropriate info on their own).

I think the internet and TV is confusing children more, as they can see and read more about sex, yet no one is explaining what it all means.
    And the bottom line sex is still seen as being worse then violence (granted this is just my personal opinion).

I found this paragraph in the last link above shocking.
    So society ends up with the next generation glorifying killing, but vilifying what everyone will do, love and sex.

What is so wrong about bare breasts? (and the entire body for that matter)

PS:To those who advocate gun control:
    Perhaps we can start by banning gun violence, that would be easy to do.

2. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

I just want to state - emphatically-, for the record, that I am no way offended by breasts. I love them. The more, the merrier.

3. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Glorification of violence and sexual repression has been a noxious brew simmering for decades in the American psyche, and it's really messed with our collective heads.

While this is perhaps only loosely connected to the OP, please check out this collection of images: http://www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/view/83663576/

I think it speaks to the topic of how being mired in violence distorts one's view of what should be normal. The person thinks they're making a statement about women's shallowness, but I think the message is really about war and violence and how it's twisted American culture.

5. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Its certainly messed with my head. Despite a firm belief and conviction for my entire life that death is objectionable and breasts are anything but, I can't help but feel self conscious about the later, say when its playing on TV and someone walks into the room. Thats some seriously deep conditioning. I dont think its so much about offense, as shame.

The question is, who or what does that shame benefit/serve?

6. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

No, I think it is simply about perceived shallowness. Society puts women as second class citizens, so the observed behavior a compensation for getting the raw end of the deal.

or I can be talking out my other end.

----------

Those in power.
    Controlling sex has always been a way to control the masses.

Dictator/tyrant/fanatic 101

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I agree that it's about perceived shallowness.

The "author" is saying in essence, you shouldn't complain about your life [you dumb, shallow girls], look at what the soldier has to endure.

The problem is that it's backwards. You shouldn't demean everyday concerns because they don't measure up to the horrors of war. You should be aghast at the horrors of war and aspire to such "shallow", everyday concerns. When you measure normal life by the soldier's experience in war, you are using the wrong yardstick.

8. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Breast feeding should be a private endeavor, its not a "we don't like breasts", but more like
    "everyone shouldn't expose themselves because about 70% of you are overweight and not appealing to look at."

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Summertime at the beach must be a real problem for you.

11. astrorider macrumors 6502

Somehow I don't think the breastfeeding ban was about sparing their users from having to see boobs from moms who just gave birth so are carrying extra weight.

I followed the link about the facebook ban and after the bad press facebook stated they had made a mistake and changed their nudity policy with regard to breastfeeding. The policy could have just been an overly broad application of a nudity ban to begin with, rather than any indication of inconsistencies of societal norms.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Add enlightened to the list of things Americans think they are but aren't. Exceptional is also on the list. We love our violence but profanity or tits are a no-no. A local TV anchor drops an inadvertent f-bomb and hundreds of blogs write about it. Janet Jackson bares here titty and it's like the end of the world. A recent study said that today's PG-13 movies are more violent than R rated movies from the 80s.

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Hey, they are all pointed the wrong way! :)

When depictions of death and dismemberment are more acceptable for viewing than depictions of nudity and sexual activity, it illustrates how badly our values are skewed.

14. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

It's not just about nursing breasts, its seeing nudity in general is banned, while real people being killed is acceptable.

And big or small, boobs are all good.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

A PG-13 movie can have all of the violence it wants as long as they don't use the f-word in a non sexual context more than once.

Here's the quickest way to make a PG movie an R movie (nsfw language):

16. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

17. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

18. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

The MPAA rating system seems to have undergone a complete pole reversal at this point. Back in the 70s, not only did violence garner an R rating, but female toplessness was only PG! (there of course was no PG-13 rating back then)

19. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

part of it is because of the bible nudity is bad but war is good happens all the time. rape pillage and other human horrors. boobs lead to abortions and all that.

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Maybe MacRumors can show their support of beautiful female anatomy by allowing nude photos to be posted in this thread? :D

----------

I did not know (or remember) that. Interesting!

21. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

though I do notice we see mens junk now and that never happened. less boobs and more men junk. we don't see much nudity anymore but we sure have more violence.

22. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Everyone loves boobs tho right? Even my wife likes boobs. Any of our gay members would like to check in on this?

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Interesting how the thread began as an investigation of cultural mores and now seems to be primarily about body parts.

:cool: [whatever turns your crank]

24. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Yeah, what's funny is that HBO Family, which limits itself to PG-13 and below, will sometimes show old movies like Airplane II, which has full frontal nudity in its opening scene.

25. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2