There may be some thing wrong with my network card? Say no airport card installed!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bubble99, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Bubble99 macrumors 6502

There may be some thing wrong with my network card?

My computer been working okay for years and now today saying choose network!! I click on my network to join and nothing happen.I tried this number of times and nothing worked. It like it can see the networks in my area but will not connect.

So I restarted the computer and now when I click at the top the Airport setting it is saying no airport card installed.

I tried firefox and safari and none of them will connect to the internet. The Airport setting at the top is gray out giving me no options and just saying no airport card installed.

In System Preferences, network and airport under status say off, if I click turn on airport nothing happens.

Under network name say airport is off.

So it is giving me no options to join network because Airport is turn off. I can't seem to turn it on or get the Airport card to work. It all gray at the top next to Bluetooth and Volume. If I click on Airport it say
    no airport card installed.

I'm not sure if the card gone bad and I need new card or if I need new drivers installed for the card. I tried restarting the computer and tried other profiles on the computer thinking may be the user profile gone bad and nothing works.

Would I have to put in the Mac OS CD and installed the drivers for it? Or would I have to put in Mac OS CD and do an install of the OS. If I do that I will have to back every thing up first.

2. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Card, cable, or connector. If the system hasn't been opened up, chances are best that it's the card. If it has been opened up before, it could be one or more of those three.

One quick test would be to restart your system in Internet Recovery mode. If the wifi card is still not detected in that environment, then it's hardware, not software.

3. Bubble99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Is not been open so it can't be the cable or connector.

How do I get it in Internet Recovery mode?

4. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

CMD-OPT-R, if I remember right, immediately after the chime.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Google's very first result when typing in "Internet Recovery Mac":
    https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201314

6. c8rlo macrumors 6502

c8rlo

sounds like your wifi card has gone bad and needs to be replaced, this happened to my MBA...i had the same symptoms u described.

7. Bubble99 thread starter macrumors 6502

What do I do in Internet Recovery mode? What do I look for?

Is it some kind of internet setting reset? Would I lose every thing?

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

Did you even bother reading the instructions I posted in my link? Everything is documented and explained on Apple's website.

9. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

I highly recommend that you take your system into an Apple Store for further assistance.

10. Bubble99 thread starter macrumors 6502

The web site does not say any thing about Internet Recovery mode? All it talks about is OS X Internet Recovery. Allowing start up directly from an Internet-based version OS X Recovery. Allowing Mac directly from Apple's servers. But this is for people who are having problems starting their Mac or problem with hard-drive.

I can start my Mac and boot into the OS I don't have that problem.

11. Bubble99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Simple test is to reinstall OS to rule out software and OS problem/corruption.

Than find authorized Apple dealer by me and fork out the money for new wifi card. I'm NOT spending more than $200 on a wifi card.

But if there is simpler reset or test I can do before I back every thing up and reinstall OS to rule out software and OS problem/corruption? Like a missing or damaged wifi driver?

12. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

This is from the same page you quoted:

"Internet Recovery initially asks you to select a Wi-Fi network and enter a network password when needed. Next, Internet Recovery downloads and starts from a Recovery System image. From there, you are offered the same utilities and options as the Recovery System on a startup drive."​

Internet Recovery will try to use your WiFi adapter to download the OS X image. The environment is a very light-weight environment that runs off the EFI in your system. If that environment cannot detect your wifi hardware, then it is a hardware problem.

If you don't see the wifi adapter troubleshooting value in trying to see if Internet Recovery can see your wifi adapter, then I highly recommend that you take your system to the nearest Apple Store for further assistance.