There never was a story of more woe...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CalBoy, Nov 17, 2007.

1. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well as it turns out, my research partner (we're writing a paper on the effects of adversarial legalism on environmental law-I know, real exciting :p), wanted to get a Mac quite some time ago. Her old Sony Vaio had broken down in April, and she decided that a new computer was in order. Of course she had heard a great deal about Macs and such, and she really wanted to get one.
    Enter her father.

He tells her, "Macs/Apple is on the way out, don't waste your money."

Since he's footing the bill, she really can't object too much, and so she doesn't bother to argue too much.

Skip ahead a few months, and we're researching in the library. She's impressed by the "little" things about my macbook pro (iSight and the backlit keyboard really struck her fancy). So this is when she sighs and tells me how much she wanted a Mac (referring to, "the white one").

Skip ahead a few more hours. We're not close to done, so we decide to head home and keep working on it separately since we weren't being very productive. As we're close to packing up, she blurts out, "I wish there was a way we could see each other's screens." Not wanting to forget just how great OS X is, I kindly tell her that if she had gotten that macbook, we could have used iChat and shared screens to work on the project. She looks at me with a look that is just unimaginable. I believe it was a mix of horror and amazement at the same time. :p

So, I've convinced her to put up her current laptop on Craigslist after finals (she also can't stand Vista; her firmest desire is to either go back to XP or something else) and buy a Mac. I've naturally offered to help her pick out the perfect one and show her around:cool:

So you may wonder why this tale belongs here. I simply want to let you soon-to-be college students that parents are fallible. Don't allow yourself to be dissuaded, especially with arguments as bad as, "Macs are on the way out."

I know this is a rather long narrative, but I hope you can learn from her mistake. Thankfully she hadn't bought Office for her PC, so that's a nice savings bundle for her.

So the moral of the story is, if you are interested in Macs, stick to your guns and get one. The advantages will far outstrip the disadvantages. If you have resistant parents, drag their bums to an Apple Store and let them play around with one. They're awfully hard to resist ;)

PS: The title is a spin on Shakespeare's line, "there never was a story of more woe than that of Juliet and her Romeo.":)

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I hope no one dies.

And yeah, always go out and get information for yourself when you can. Good advice for anything.

3. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Phew, while I was reading along in the story I thought her sony laptop's battery blew up right in her face or something. Good thing no one was hurt. Other than the obvious mental distress Vista brought upon your poor friend.

4. CalBoy thread starter macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well, we can make an exception for her current laptop;):p
    So true. She had already heard good things about Macs, but apparently not enough to persuade her father. I told her how I had a similar time with my dad. Sometimes they can be resistant to change.

Yeah, the title is a little deceptive huh?:eek:

However, Vista was apparently bad enough for her to declare that all the work was going to be done on my mbp. With Spaces and Exposé, my mbp was the obvious choice! :p ;)