There's no "I" in Obama

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Anuba, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Since when is asking for advice a bad thing?

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/30/clinton-suggests-obama-uncertain-economic-crisis/

Wait, so let me get this straight. In an unprecedented situation that basically nobody knew how to handle, it's a sign of weakness to take advice from the likes of Warren Buffet and a former two-term president? You see, Fox Noise, a president isn't supposed to be some all-knowing one man show, some guru or dictator who listens to voices in his head. That's what John "I know how to fix this" McCain did, and look how his solo-flying escapade went down.

I see this anecdotal evidence from Clinton as yet another sign that Obama will be a president who makes informed and intelligent decisions.

2. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Just proof that he's not ready to lead. :rolleyes:

No, this is what I expect from a good president. Making hasty uninformed decisions has nothing to do with a good leader.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

WHAT>?1?! taking advice from advisors and others and then coming to what appears to be the best informed decision?! Thats not presidential!

....oh wait a minute.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Damn sight better than saying the fundamentals of the economy are strong, then changing your mind a few hours later, then suspending your campaign to rush back to Washington to accomplish precisely nothing and make a laughing stock of yourself at the White House meeting... then blowing off David Letterman which leads to a week's worth of late-night national mockery, then rushing back for a televised presidential debate you said you wanted to cancel... then giving an angry, twitchy performance where you couldn't even look at your opponent.

5. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    It seemed clear to me that Bill Clinton is still harboring a grudge, and his comments were meant to be a strange mix of compliment and cloud. The basic thrust of his argument was a good one, but for No-Drama Obama, I think it was clear Bill knew he was stirring the pot. You can see it on Obama's face the entire time Clinton spoke. If you've seen Obama sit for a complimentary endorsement before, you'll notice his expression is EXCEPTIONALLY strained and wary.

Fox is just picking up on what Bill Clinton put out there. And I don't fault Clinton for it. He has an ego. We all knew that. This election was VERY bruising.

~ CB

6. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

Clinton is trying make it sound like Obama did the right thing, but at the same time the tone in which he said it makes you think that he's actually trying to use it against Obama...

7. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

When I read the quote above, I don't think Bill came across in a negative way. Reading it on Fox, it kinda does.

But since I expect a president to use advisers correctly, I guess I don't see it as a bad thing.

8. Anuba thread starter macrumors 68040

Anuba

Yeah, I suppose. There was that interview where Clinton worked hard to escape having to agree that Obama is a "great man", instead saying that he has a "potential for greatness". There may have been an element of grudge there, but it also struck me as honest. Clinton has a brand name to protect too, and doesn't want to come off as one of those people who gush unreserved praise like he was trying to sell shampoo. He's right, Obama isn't a great man just yet -- he's a one term senator who came out of left (no pun intended) field, and it's a little early to use up all the superlatives.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Lightning McQueen, meet Doc Hudson.

BL.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

FOX is in a desperate throe and trying anything they can. I watched cable news all night last night. Sean Hannity was spouting such crap it amazed me, even for him.
    I saw Clinton's speech. It couldn't have been more enthusiastic. If he'd done this earlier, Obama would have had this locked up weeks ago.

Clinton's "ad-lib" fit in perfectly with Obama saying he listens to all, even those he disagrees with, in his Obama-mercial. We need someone who seeks out opinions and advice before opening his mouth. he last 8 years have proven that.

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Anybody remember the character of Isaac Jaffe (Robert Guillaume) on Sports Night? He had a philosophy of management I've never forgotten:

If you're dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you're smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

Obama is obviously the latter, surrounding himself with a variety of opinions and options before choosing one. Nothing wrong with that.

13. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Exactly. If there is ANYONE in the position to remind Obama not to drink his own Kool-Aid, its Clinton. Absolute power is an intoxicatingly deadly elixir. Personally, I liked Arnold Swartzenegger's refutation that he might serve in an Obama administration on CNN (with Campbell Brown). His statements were very couched and sober. Considering his wife's endorsement of Obama, and his standing with the GOP, he played the middle like a master. I was impressed. If an Obama administration implodes, I don't Clinton wants to go down as gushing over him, especially given their recnet history. At first I didn't believe there was something there, but its clearly there.

Personally, I love that Obama has an army of super-smart advisors. I think more than anything? Its the "Tell me what to do, and I'll sell it" comment that will begin to get beaten to death. The "used car salesman" and "buyers remorse" analogies haven't really gone away, and like human nature, most of us will keep watching even passively for signs that we've made a mistake in our choice for candidate. Continues to be reaffirmed for me though. Everyday.

~ CB

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Better than "I'll tell you what to do, and you figure out how to sell it", aka the Bush approach, aka catapulting the propaganda.

15. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

No doubt. There was a chilling passage in Al Gore's "Assault on Reason", where Bush got word that there was no connection between Saddam Hussein and the 9/11 attack, and he simply sent back a terse two word reply of "wrong answer". Sometimes you'd kill to have a recording device inserted into just the right points in history.

~ CB

16. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Ok let me make sure I understand this.

Obama took advice from one of the richest men in the world who knows the economy inside out, back to front and upside down, he took advice from a two term president who presided over the only budget surplus in god knows how many years, created more jobs than pretty much any other president, saw the one of, if not the biggest rises in middle/lower income earning and spoke to the guy currently in charge of the treasury and that is a bad thing???

You know there is a word for a leader of a nation that doesn't listen to anyone and does what the hell he feels like??? the word is dictator!!!

Of course he did the right thing by talking to people who know what the hell they are talking about. The last thing you want is a president who reacts to situations the way mccain did. You want somebody who takes the advice of the experts.

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Yes, that's presidential. Apparently.

And this is why Fox is partisan-hackery.

18. Anuba thread starter macrumors 68040

Anuba

Madeleine Albright to Campbell Brown (CNN) on Obama:

"I feel very stronglý about this -- having watched presidents -- I think that what you need is somebody who has the capability of judging the situation, being analytical, listening to a lot of diverse ideas, and being wise and making judgments. I think we've seen that in Barack Obama. And if you've seen the way that Sen. McCain reacted to the financial crisis... stopping his campaign, going to Washington and doing a variety of things that didn't seem to add up. Whereas Barack Obama looked at what the issues were, dealt with a group of his economic advisers, made suggestions to secretary Paulsen... and it's an approach that I think, in a crisis, is the most important for any president. To be able to assess the situation, have confidence enough to listen to a lot of different ideas, and then make up his mind, and be wise, and have judgment, and have some steel in his spine. I think I see that in Barack Obama, and that's really the reason I'm supporting him."

19. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

There may not be an "I", but there's "am boa" if you jumble it up.

20. Let's Sekuhara! macrumors 6502

Let's Sekuhara!

Sure... nothing wrong with it if you like responsible mature leaders who make intelligent decisions. :rolleyes: But honestly, who wants that? I want another quick-draw cowboy president who will fumble our blind nation that much closer to the apocalypse. Bush has gotten us right to the brink, why turn back now? If the goal was to steer the course of American history in a positive direction why did we elect Dubya for a second term? C'mon people! If we're going to fail, let's fail all the way!