There's no place like home

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Oct 16, 2010.

1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

A local radio station plays a show "Free Talk Live" on Saturday afternoons and I listen on occasion to their Libertarian take on the world. Today I thought I'd check out their forum and possibly join up so I could get a better understanding of the Libertarian POV.

I've attached a screen shot from their forum to give you an idea about the level they appear to work at. Those breast threads sure are popular.

Even though I am fond of breasts, I decided not to join...

Attached Files:

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I see "tipping" was in there. I'm sure that was short conversation as most of them are probably against it.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Breasts? I'm sure they are quite popular, for beating on.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I'd hardly call a radio show's forum a reference on Libertarian POV. It speaks more about the quality of the radio station than any sort of political ideology credibility. Comeon, I expect better than this from seasoned posters

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

From the looks of the forum, I hope you're right.

6. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Sorry to disappoint, but I my reaction was similar to yours.

This is a nationally syndicated radio program. I'm sure some of the folks here at MR listen to them. But today it all just struck me as empty phrases without any real depth... Government takes away all incentive... taxes are thievery... liberty... liberty... liberty...

So I went to the forum, in the hopes of going deeper than the talking heads were taking me, and ran smack-dab into shallowness and stupidity.

What I was hoping to learn, and what someone here at MR may help explain, is what does Libertarianism really look like when applied to our lives. How would you govern a country of 350 million people based on its philosophies? Is this just a political circle-jerk, or do you really think that all of the problems we face can be best dealt with by Libertarianism?

Those are just a few of the questions I would have asked had I joined that forum... but instead got distracted by the boobies.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Environmental wasteland, bodies on the streets, gated communities with very high walls. Just a guess, mind you.

8. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

In fact, the environment was one of the items they touched upon in yesterday's radio program. And by "touched" that's all that they did. One of the hosts threw out the term "carbon footprint" as if that were an example of government oppression. No follow-up... no context... just a phrase tossed out to rally the troops.

But that's what's wrong with the Libertarian viewpoint. It isn't just your carbon footprint, it's the 350 million other American carbon footprints, 6 billion world-wide carbon footprints, as well as industry, agriculture and natural carbon footprints adding up to alter the climate.

All they care about is me, me, me.

I'm sorry. Those days are gone. It's time for a little more cooperation and a little less selfishness.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I couldn't agree more.

10. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I find it difficult to imagine any context in which purist libertarianism is feasible. AFAICT, the primary principle of libertarianism is "I can do whatever I want as long as it does not harm you (or anyone else)". How much can one do that harms no one else in some way or another?

11. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The distinction needs to be made between libertarian philosophy and Libertarian politics. Despite sharing the name the two really are quite distinct, the latter being a perversion of the former which rarely takes into consideration the caveat of as long as it doesn't harm anyone else.

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Ah, Primum non nocere, the basis of the Hippocratic Oath, I believe.

Too bad no one seems to adhere to it any more.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

...having practically nothing in common with the former at all.

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

1. The spelling
    2. ?

15. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Your right. There is no possible way that it would work. If Libertarians had their way, they would simply abolish the federal government. They would run rampant, killing each other for a quick buck.

JUST AS how if "Progressives" had their way, the government will force me to buy an ugly prius, put me in jail when I don't recycle or if I accidentally "offend" someone, and tax my productivity until I choose to simply sit back and collect handouts as a means of living, and make me pay a fine if I don't sign up for health insurance.... Wait a minute...

This sure is a fun game!

PS- You and Chris Matthews ought to enjoy some "tingles" sometime, I feel you two could really hit it off.

OP: I have no idea what program you were listening to, but any program that has their coder make a white on black message board is pure crap. :p

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Did I say any of that? :confused:

Yes indeed, wait a minute: aren't "Progressives" getting their way right now? Any sign of those things happening?

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Who said that?

Oh Christ. Why is it so difficult to get people to stay grounded in reality around here?

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

There are few if any actual progressives in power in this country. The entire country is skewed so far to the right that even the left here would be called right of center in the rest of the world.

As for Matt's delusional "progressivist world", well that just speaks volumes, about his worldview.

19. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

For all those who missed it- That was my point (And I was being mighty sarcastic. Forgot the eye-rolley-guy, my bad)

Me claiming those things is JUST AS RIDICULOUS as skunk/.Andys constant alarm cries that Libertarians want people dying in the streets or whatever.

Pure hyperbole that degenerates the conversation to the level of absurd political caricatures yelling about the hypotheticals.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

My reply to the question "What would a country under the control of a Libertarian government look like?" was not "pure hyperbole". It was a simple extrapolation of the policies and attitudes displayed by those on this forum who have described themselves as Libertarians: getting rid of government "interference" in environmental issues and regulation, vastly reduced social spending and a sauve qui peut approach to community. Hence "an environmental wasteland, bodies on the streets and gated communities with very high walls". I do not regard Libertarianism, at least as espoused here by its afficionados, as a humane, compassionate or realistic prospect.

21. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

You made your Libertarian bed. You've been quite vocal about withholding medical treatment from individuals to punish them. Even when such a myopic and petulant policy would have (and has been proven to have) incredibly detrimental effects on society.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=10523878

22. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

This is a lost cause.

23. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Plagiarizing Ron Paul now :p?