"There's Probably No God" Advertising

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by robbieduncan, Oct 21, 2008.

1. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7681914.stm

Soon we will have buses running round London with "advertising" stating "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life.". Personally, as an Atheist, I think this is great, but it's probably only a matter of time before this gets banned for annoying religious types or vandalised.

Oh, and this will probably end up in PRSI too!

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

3. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Oops. In my defence I try not to read PRSI threads as I can't be arsed arguing with most of the posters. Which should make the likely ending of this thread interesting :D

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

:D
    As you say.
    Probably headed for PRSI in any case.

Luckily for Richard Dawkins he put a cap on his £-for-£ matching.

5. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

6. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I don't agree with the sentiment, but I do agree with freedom of speech.

If the atheists run this, then the christians need to work harder to get their message across.

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Yeah, but if Christians ran big billboard ads saying "God is watching you! Live your life according to the Bible!" do you think society would be equally as tolerant? Or would there be a huge outcry of offense?

These days we can't even have "Christmas Trees" for fear of offending people.

8. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I don't think there would be any outcry at all. I see advertising for courses and so on linked with organised religions and even cults all the time on the tube and buses in London (Alpha Plan I'm looking at you)...

9. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Where I live, Bible-belt USA, we do have Christian billboards. Like, "Don't make me come down there. - God." and "Make your eternal reservations now--- 'smoking' or 'non-smoking'?" and a bunch of others I can't remember. I've never heard a complaint.

And for what it's worth, I think the "There's Probably No God" advertising is silly, and I would see no point in complaining, just laughing.:)

10. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

11. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Probably not.:D

12. nick9191 macrumors 68040

It only costs 5 grand to run ads on 30 buses in one of the largest capitals in the world for 4 weeks?

Quite cheap.

13. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I think any one believing in God would consider the buses false advertising. (And vice-versa for the other way around).

14. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Don't the tabloids and soap operas advertise on buses too? I mean, does anyone really give serious brain activity to stuff like that?

15. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

It's not real advertising now is it? ;)

16. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

^.^ b :p
    (I've been "reading" the urban dictionary!:rolleyes:)

17. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

This is excellent! However it would be better if they took out the word 'probably' out.

18. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

The only thing this really brings to my mind is the Bumper Sticker that reads:
    "If you live your life as if there is no God, then you had better be right."

19. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Christian Voice gets it wrong again. Original target was £5500 as of now they have received £30000.

"Apparently, an atheist blogger named Jon Worth came up with the idea, but his fellow humanists, not known for their generosity, wouldn't stump up the cash. Now Richard Dawkins, whose anti-Christian zeal knows little bounds, is to finance the doomed venture."

http://www.christianvoice.org.uk/Press/press109.html

20. Queso macrumors G4

Well obviously I'm going to say it's a good thing. The probably is a good inclusion though, since that's the way science always looks at the world :)

21. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I like that.

The Christian response to that would be: "Do you really want to take that chance?"

:)

22. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

But isn't it better to live a good life even though you don't have any expectation of reward or punishment? You're saying that an all-powerful benevolent being would punish the altruistic people who may have had no knowledge of God through no fault of their own?

I'd like to think an omnipotent omnipresent being would be secure enough in his/her/its own image to reward those who lived good lives whether or not they stoked his/her/its ego.

23. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

It's good to see freedom of speech alive.

The slogan is also interesting... "probably"? What formulas allowed them to arrive at this conclusion?

I'd rather have this than nothing at all. The worst way to approach the issue is to never think about it. This being there would stimulate minds on both sides alike.

From a Christian standpoint, this stuff is only as dangerous as you allow it to be.

24. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

…transport advertising regulations are more stringent than normal advertising regulations (for billboards, etc) and the decision of whether to run the ad or not is very much at the discretion of the bus companies. It’s their private space, and their criteria for this (I know it’ll make all atheists reading this bang their head against a wall, but here goes) is that the advert “must not offend religious people”.
    In their view, the “probably” gets us around this (and even with it, I’m anticipating that the Advertising Standards Authority will receive several dozen complaints from religious people and organisations). Also, as Dawkins writes in The God Delusion, being an absolute “7″ on the faith scale (insisting “there is no God”) doesn’t make sense, as nobody can ever state this as an absolute. The alternative Dawkins proposes is “almost certainly”, but “there’s almost certainly no God” doesn’t make for an overly catchy advertising slogan!

http://www.atheistcampaign.org/