iPhone 11 Pro There's so much "availability" in-Store on the iPhone 11, 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max?

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I was at Apple today curious to see what the new iPhone 11's look like. Firstly, they all look great. I played with the preorder page as I was trying out the new 11 Pro Max and I saw that 12 Stores had this and other models available. Why? Are they not selling out? Last and previous years, you can't get your hands on any of them for at least 2-4 weeks - in-store purchase. I could actually order a phone right now and pick-up today. This is a good thing because it's nice to too see how available these phones are. I also like that Apple released the sim-free version on the same date as the contract phones.

I like the Midnight Green. And for the first time, I really like the look of the Space Grey which also looks ike Graphite. And for the first time, I didn't like the Silver which looks more like Pearl (it wasn't matte enough) and I didn't care for the Gold for the same reason as the Silver. And I've owned Gold 5S, 6 Plus and XS Max.

Last edited:

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Not all are available near us, Pros are sold out until mid-to-late October. None available for in-store pickup across any carrier, in any size or color. All gone. I bet these new iPhones are selling very well, you just happened to have local availability.

akash.nu

macrumors 604
May 26, 2016
Yeah when I went to pick up mine at the heart of Central London, they said they had plenty as well.

MrEcted

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2011
I think it's because smartphones are starting to plateau. Apple is fantastic in that they support older devices for quite a long time (OS updates for 5-ish years) and phones have come so far in the past few years that upgrades are more incremental so now the latest and greatest phones these days (regardless of brand) don't feel like massive leaps, more like small steps forward. This isn't a knock on Apple or other brands, it's just the nature of things.

People can be perfectly happy with a phone that is 3+ years old and that's great from the consumer's perspective. These things are expensive so feeling like one has to upgrade every single year becomes burdensome. It also kinda sucks for consumers because the "wow-factor" is starting to wane each year. but that's more a testament to how far we've come. It's really hard to create totally mind-blowing features every single iteration.

BeaverHammer

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2019
There are a bunch of Space Grey phones available all around me, even a few Silvers. Not a single Midnight Green in sight though. Come on 9/27!

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Lots of people are holding onto their phones longer these days. It’s not a surprise there might be some in store for purchase.
I was almost tempted to buy the iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB Midnight Green right there and then, but I knew I wouldn't keep it. That color is AWESOME. I took a few photos. Someone posted that the Space Grey and Midnight Green were very similar. I didn't think so. There's definitely a contrast between colors. I also took a quick photo of the crowds. There was actually a long line for pre-order pick-ups. Nevertheless though, anyone could have ordered right there at Apple, and wait in line to purchase their iphone 11.

Attachments

Jordan921

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I was almost tempted to buy the iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB Midnight Green right there and then, but I knew I wouldn't keep it. That color is AWESOME. I took a few photos. Someone posted that the Space Grey and Midnight Green were very similar. I didn't think so. There's definitely a contrast between colors. I also took a quick photo of the crowds. There was actually a long line for pre-order pick-ups. Nevertheless though, anyone could have ordered right there at Apple, and wait in line to purchase their iphone 11.
I really wanted the midnight green. But in my haste to order I chose the space grey. I’m happy with it. Paired it with the Apple clear case.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

minicard

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2014
Oregon
They were available yesterday in Oregon however today they are unavailable for pick-up from my Apple store app.

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Boston area here. Went looking for a phone for my wife today (one day after launch). Nearly every model, color and size could be picked up, either in the Verizon version or unlocked, in person at a store within 15 miles, including every version of Midnight Green.

Nanotyrns

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2012
Denver
I was able to get the one I wanted (64GB ATT Midnight Green Pro Max) reserved mid-day yesterday. Things might be tighter tomorrow though because there won't be any shipments arriving at stores.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
i was going to buy one of my kids a vanilla 11 to trade in his 7+ cause it's the last year it's going to have any value. Ended up buying a 11 max for my wife and he's getting her XS Max.

other than pushing older phones down to kids and parents, no reason to buy a new one unless it's just something you want.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
I really wanted the midnight green. But in my haste to order I chose the space grey. I’m happy with it. Paired it with the Apple clear case.
I've never been fond of Space Grey, but when I saw the matte Space Grey on the iPhone Pro today at The Apple Store, I was in awe. Either color is perfect. I'm not upgrading. I dropped too much money on my XS Max Gold 256, case, and screen protector. I can't justify loosing that money just to upgrade. I'm content, but I do like that Midnight Green. Enjoy you new phone.

mediaprodguy

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2006
I noticed while playing with the store availability..... click on the “fully unlocked, no carrier phone” ..... plenty of availability in the Houston, Texas market. Picked up a pro max green 256gb at memorial city tonight at 8pm. When I was playing around on the app, had I selected any payment plan or carrier directly, no phones available. Hope this helps some folks.#nofloodhere

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 68040
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I got my Pro Max on Friday from my Apple Store and took it back today for an exchange. They had plenty of stock for exchange. A few years back, replacement stock would never have been available two days after launch

Last edited:

0r30

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2010
Texas
Plenty stock in Houston yesterday. Was able to order for pickup during a time slot and was in and out within 15min.

I ended up canceling my original pre order since the shipping was 2 weeks into October.

hirsthirst

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2008
UK
two sides to the equation, both Supply & Demand.

they could be selling twice as many whilst building three times as many - we'll never get absolute numbers.

I think generally the Apple logistics machine is unrecognisable from even a few years ago too, their resources are so vast now they can plough unbelievable funds into innovations to make even more money.

kis

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Seems to me that Apple has changed its sales tactics. Last year’s launch was a disaster. They need to win back market share, so the times of artificially limiting available stock are over.