There's still hope for humanity. Dogs can bring us together!!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Nov 7, 2016.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Can Trump supporters and Hillary Supporters agree on something? A dog proves yes!

Love this. Gives me hope that even in the most ugliest divisive time and place, some humanity can still show through and we can still come together in some way.

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Well, just that "humanity" could be enough for some people wishing for a better future no?

3. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

@MadeTheSwitch if you're suggesting we elect a dog for president, I'm completely on board. The world would be a much better place if dogs lead the country, and who better than a Golden Retriever. (I've been obsessing about getting a dog lately. Ever since my Black Lab passed last year life has not been the same)

But even dogs have their issues...
    IMG_6755.JPG

-----

I feel compelled to say, in all seriousness, I feel like this video and some extent your comments make it seem like we're living in the darkest of times, with a deeply fractured society. I don't think that's remotely true. Of course there's disagreement and America is not perfect, but there will always be conflict. It's part of life. As old problems are put to rest new ones will always arise. I'm problems should not be rectified, I'm saying their will always be concepts that divide us.

When I go outside, travel to other towns and cities, interact with coworker's or patients, I don't sense this "dark ugly America". If you want to get wrapped up all into the media, immersing yourself in politics in all your free time, and/or never interact with people outside of the internet, I imagine the world can start to look like a pretty awful place.

Regardless of how good or bad reality is, which is based on perception, it is all we can do to make the best of our life. We can advocate politics all day long but at the same the time, the world keeps spinning. And at the end of the day most people don't base their overall mood on the political climate. I think the general population has far more enjoyment in life focusing on postive and meaningful things than bickering over politics.

To me, politics is background noise. It's a societally imposed structure, a system. At humanity's core though lies people. And regardless of ones political views, people are still people. People connect through many more ways than simply poltics, which is often towards the bottom of the list.

If you see the country as 2 types of people, Democrats and Liberals, you have a TREMENDOUSLY distorted outlook. If you question in your head the party alignment of every person you see or interact with, that's not good either. If you judge people based simply on who they vote for, that in itself is divisive. I suppose anyone could say the world would be a perfect place if everyone thought the same way as me- but that's not reality and it never will be.

Regardless of the shortcomings we're facing, I do believe we're living in the best time ever because we have the future ahead of us. Even if we take 2 steps forward and one step back (ex. Trump is elected), we still are better off than we started and still have the opportunity to continue moving forward. Despite the economic woes I believe we're living in a time where people can attain the highest quality of living in our history. Equal rights, healthcare, education, amazing advances in technology, etc. Is it perfect? Certainly not, but we should be grateful for how far we come and all we have that many in the world don't have. In the past 8 years we've had a black president, likely now a female president for the first time, healthcare for everyone, gay marriage, etc.

And who are you to judge this election cycle as a calamity? For all we know, Clinton wins (as has been expected/predicted) and this election represents a paradime shift in American politics, where people realize the future, let go of some of the past negative ideology, and start to embrace a more progressive America?