Thermaltake BlacX & WD 15EADS failing to mount

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by umiwangu, Mar 29, 2010.

1. umiwangu macrumors 6502

I bought both a TT BlacX and a 1.5 TB WD Caviar Green hard drive to go with it. From day 1, the WD had trouble mounting on my MacBook Pro (10.6.2). If I put my other drive in, a Seagate 320GB 7200.10, it mounts pretty much straight away.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I've tried it on my bootcamp partition on my MacBook, and it also had trouble mounting.

I can see the JMicron USB mass storage device under System Profiler, but it doesn't mount.

Thanks!

2. umiwangu thread starter macrumors 6502

I read through that thread before and it didn't seem to help much, esp since I don't have the duet. I am wondering if it's something with the JMicron chip onboard. I posted the same question to Thermaltake's forums and tech support, and I'll get in touch with WD as well.

Thanks for the link though.

3. OldMike macrumors 6502

OldMike

If you don't mind - I wouldn't mind knowing the outcome of this. I have a Thermaltake BlacX, but have not used it with drives over 1 TB yet. I was planning on getting some 1.5 or 2 TB drives - but now I am wondering if this might be a problem with the BlacX.

4. umiwangu thread starter macrumors 6502

WD claims that they have nothing to do with it. Here's the response I got from Thermaltake cust care (nothing from their forums yet...).

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Thermaltake.

We did google and see some issue of "new" firmware of 1.5TB & 2TB WD drives. It limit the drive detect through most of USB storage devices, no problem on old model.

If the HDD is new out of box. Try open the computer management window. Initialize and format the dirve in diskmanagement, if you can see the drive in disk management.

You may also find parts, refurbished, and discontinued items at http://www.thermaltakestore.com/

Have a great day and thank you for choosing Thermaltake.

Best Regards,"

Are you serious??? You "did" Google and that's what came out? I've got stuff saved on the drive, I'm going to up and just reformat...