These People Are Homless, But Have A Cellphone Darnit!!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nateDEEZY, Apr 20, 2009.

1. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

/sarcasm

Washington Post Article

[​IMG]
    Homeless man takes a cellphone pic of Michelle Obama.

[​IMG]

I remember finding myself in that position several years ago. I gave a meal to a homeless man to find him later in the alley making a phone call on a cellphone. I thought to myself, ugh I just got ripped off. I think most of us are in that mindset still, if we see a homeless man with a phone we're less likely to lend a hand. Times are changing, or rather have been.

2. neoserver macrumors 6502

I'm certainly not very surprised. PAYG phones are quite cheap and can cost very little to keep going... It was only a matter of time really.

3. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Yes. It touched off their little "moral indignation" nerve. It's always nice to watch people take something, that, at first blush, has a sense of irony, to the point of absurdity. But that's OK, because we can play that game, too. Perhaps I'll bemoan a society that drives around in a $50,000 Porsche whining about being overtaxed to the point of being broke.

Just because someone can afford $10/month pay-as-you-go service doesn't equate to them being able to pay anywhere from $400-1500/month for an apartment. And in today's "always connected" world, this is almost a prerequisite. And, unlike some, I fail to find this amusing in any sense.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I they are homeless where does their bill go every month?

5. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Cellphones are incredibly cheap nowadays. I can walk down to CVS Pharmacy OR Walgreens and buy a pre-paid phone for 19.95 WITH 300 mins of talk time.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

But if they are homeless is a cell phone the first thing they need? And who are they calling?

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

You can get online bills, mines done like that, no paper work :)

If you're going to say "But they won't have a computer", libraries are free, and cyber cafes are cheap.

8. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Well according to the pics, they're calling other homeless ppl with cellphones, of course.
    My library isn't free to use the internet. :( You gotta pay a fee every year.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I'm sure people love a homeless guy going to the library to check his minutes.:p

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Every time I go to the library there are several homeless people sitting there, some of them even have their own laptop.

No big deal, a laptop and a cellphone are a small fraction of the cost of a home.

If they were driving SUVs, wearing gold and stopping at a food bank or shelter, I'd be more concerned.

11. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Considering employers call/e-mail you about potential job interviews, I'm not going to raise a fuss over them having a phone just yet. IMHO phones have become a necessity.

They probably also use it to keep in touch with their social workers.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

No offense but how many people in those pics look like they are going to a job interview anytime soon.

13. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

The trolling stereotypes run rampant in this one. I suggest you read the article next time.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I would also suggest you don't insult me next time.

Not to berate homeless people but there is a reason they are homeless, we might not know all of their circumstances but I don't see why a homeless person should have a cell phone. Are we going to just give every person in the country a cell phone now because it is a necessity?

15. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Let's waste this thread b4 it becomes a bigger problem, shall we mods?

16. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I was speaking in general but since you want to go there. It's possible. I see people like them working in Wal-Mart (and other big-box retailers), fast-food restaurants, schools (as janitors), and other similar positions everyday.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I'm sure they are those that want to make a better life for themselves and thats fine. But I also think there are those that don't care.

18. yoppie macrumors 6502a

You have no clue who these people are or what they did to become homeless or even how long they've been in that position. If they have no access to a landline, what's wrong with them having a cell phone?

19. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Of course there are those who don't care but who are you to take their cell phones away. There are people who go to work everyday and come home to a roof over their heads but they're about as broke as the people in the pictures. The bottom just haven't fallen out yet because they have credit cards to hide the secret a little bit longer.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

They might have brought it on them selves, they might have been screwed by the system. If an average joe can't afford a cell phone why should a homeless person have one?

21. nateDEEZY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Read the article before you continue to ask stupid questions, Jesus Christ. If you would like, I'll create bullet points for you.

-A cellphone is the only way you can call to keep up with your food stamps, your housing application, your job. When you're living in a shelter or sleeping on the streets, it's your last line of communication with the world."

-During a string of attacks against homeless people sleeping downtown in the fall, two victims called 911 for help after they were assaulted, he said.

-Some get their phones from relatives who want to know they have a way of staying in contact. Ronald Collins-El, 45, got one from his nephew. While he stays at the homeless shelter on the campus of St. Elizabeths, he uses it to keep in touch with family members and to organize his numerous medical appointments, payments and bills.

Not relative to cellphones, but technology in general.

-In California? Bloggers there go online to map Los Angeles' friendliest and most posh public restrooms, share tips for street hygiene and suggest ways to avoid chronic sunburns.

22. yoppie macrumors 6502a

The average joe can afford a cell phone, he might not be able to afford an expensive, all-featured out one.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Doesn't that go to the core of America's problems. People can't afford it but want to live the lifestyle anyways? A person doesn't go broke overnight. Job or no job.

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The homeless people I am referring to have cut off all communication with the world. They choose to live on the streets for one reason or another. The people in those pictures did not just fall on hard times.

There is a difference from someone that lost their house a month ago and someone that has been living on the streets for 20 years.

25. yoppie macrumors 6502a

It is a problem but who said these people are going out living the life. We're talking cell phones, that's hardly living the life. Have you heard of cheap, pay as you go cell phones?

When you find a homeless person driving a luxury vehicle or using something that requires major cash and you can't get it at a corner store, let me know. I'll raise the roof with you then.