These People Are Sick -- Wheelchair Bound Person Heckled

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bobber205, Sep 4, 2009.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

"Why does this lady have more rights than I do?"

Summary: a lady in a wheelchair that has two auto immune diseases wanted her congressman to hear her story and why we need public healthcare.
    Someone in the crowd is shown asking why that lady has more rights than he does...

This is the best video I can find of this.

I love free speech, but this is so rude and disgusting. That woman is incredibly brave for saying what she did.
    I dare someone to defend these ass hats yelling in the background. :(

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the lady in the wheelchair DOES NOT have more rights than the guy who asked the question

she doesnt deserved being heckled though

3. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

I assumed this was obvious? How does letting her even finish her sentence give her more rights? Not sure what you're saying. :)

4. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

LOL. No one ever implied she did, that's what's so funny. And disturbing...

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I agree with dukebound85, despite the fact that iThink we stand on the opposite sides of the debate on healthcare in general.

I agree that the handicap have experiences that I do not have, but everyone should have the equal right to speak, even if what they are going to say is non-sensical.

6. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

I'd like to see the entire video. The hecklers seemed to be pissed that she was ranting on and on... and showing a desire that she should just get on with her question. I'd say in an event where time is limited, and assuming she was getting up there on a soap box speaking for minutes on end... the heckling could have certainly been justified.

It's impossible to know without a full tape.

Generally, I think a more calm tone would be best at these events...

7. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

That's not as clever as uThink it is.

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I'd like to know if anybody else got heckled at this assembly, for any reason.

Her disability does not make her exempt from the comments of others, any more than my comments on this forum should be considered golden and free from comment.

My take on the guy who was upset because she "has more rights" than he does is that she appears to be arguing in favor of free healthcare for her; and if that's the case, then I agree with him.

But as far as heckling her, if you go to a political assembly and speak, you shouldn't complain with there are people who disagree with you and heckle you. Same if it were the conservatives being heckled.

And Olbermann's still a choad.

9. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

When the time comes that the most vocal ones in the crowd are "non-sensical" the discussion becomes useless and a purposeful disruption of the discussion.

The "non-sensical" people therefore have less rights to speak than the ones not purposefully trying to disrupt the discussion.

Kick their asses out. Period.

10. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

These people were yelling at her and wouldn't let her hardly say anything. Heckling is bad period, don't try to justify it. They wanted to shut her up because they didn't represent their misinformed point of view.

This "rights" business makes no sense. She has just as much right to live as anyone else. Do you really think it's ok for her to go bankrupt or starve because the medicine is so expensive? Is this what our country is about? This person is suffering enough as it is, she shouldn't have to worry about financial issues at all.

And my god. No one is suggesting "FREE" healthcare for all. We just want an option to pay into a plan that's run by the government, a plan the people would have a say in, instead of insurance companies hiring people whose sole job is to deny claims.

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Why am I not surprised at this?

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

A limited amount of heckling at a comedy event can be funny - but actually even there if you do it more than a couple of times it is generally just annoying.

Everyone else offers "FREE" healthcare. I thought that was the idea of this reform.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If she was really speaking too long (and there should have had a time limit stated up front - even my student union managed that) they should have heckled at most once to alert the chairman of their displeasure and not continuously as you can hear in the video. Frankly they should have kept their mouths shut as really its up to the chairman to hurry her along if she was going over the time limit.