They are at it again! Trying to ban standard capacity magazines.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, Feb 6, 2015.

1. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Republicans have control of the House.

What do you think the chances are of this ever passing?

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

How can you properly spray and pray with only ten bullets?!

:mad:

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

As background Esty who proposed the bill's district includes Newtown, where a madman with a gun killed 20 children and 5 adults.

6. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Again, without getting into the Constitutionality of such a law, please explain to me why any civilian needs more than ten rounds in their magazine?

I'm reasonably sure that the deer will have run out of range by the time you get to bullet number eight or nine. And I'm not sure I want a homeowner defending his property to send thirty or forty rounds downrange (ie. through my living room) every time he freaks out at a shadow in his garage.

Not debating the Constitutional issue here. Simply curious as to why this is such a terrible hardship to the regular, law-abiding firearm owner.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Presumably in the case of a government crackdown on personal freedoms provided by the constitution you would want more rounds between reloads.

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It's ironic then that guns are such a massive political distraction for the american populace. They'll happily roll over within a news cycle on issues like domestic wiretapping, illegal wars, torture and illegal incarceration as long as a politician dangles a gun issue in front of them to distract them from these real threats to personal freedom.

9. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Start with organizations like NYPD and LAPD. Let them take the mag reductions first.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

1 cops have high cap mags, no reason for me to have less
    2 obvious you don't hunt, when waterfowling or deer hunting you are limited to only 3 rds, not sure about bear hunting I think it is unlimited when varmint hunting
    3 so are we supposed to sell or destroy our legally acquired property because?

----------

Exactly. Limit them to smart guns in .22 cal as well

11. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Really? No reason at all? You're routinely patrolling and interacting with troublesome elements of society, the same as the police?

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

My life is worth as much as theirs . I'm not patrolling but the troublesome elements are everywhere.

13. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

How many people who aren't cops get raped, robbed and murdered daily?

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

And a reminder there is no evidence that a gun would help reduce any of these figures. FUD and preying on people's paranoia/fear of their fellow man is certainly a great salesman pitch for gun manufacturers.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

16. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Because I have firearms that where designed to hold more then 10 rounds at one time?

17. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

And some irresponsible gun owners store their firearms and ammunition together where their kids/others can access it. Which is why there are so many accidental deaths and why you are more likely to die in a home with a gun.

Did I accidentally come across a archery talk forums post by you boasting about having your shotguns and ammunition stored together and accessible by your children?

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

It has been that way for about 10 years. My kids are TRAINED in the proper use of them. What anyone else does is their business.
    Was the link evidence enough,? Or do you need more?

19. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Just means I have to spend $20 for an extra clip. These are the dumbest laws of all.

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I gotta call BS on the self defense argument. I think that if you need more than 10 rounds to stop a single threat, you either in some severe need of target practice, or the palsy's kicking in a little too hard, and you shouldn't be handling a gun then anyway.

Most rapes, robberies, and murders happen in close quarters. It doesn't take withering fire to take out a threat in these circumstances.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

What are you going to do with the ones you already own? Sell? To who if they are banned? Destroy at your own expense?

----------

Over 100 shots by "trained" cops
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/05/justice/california-dorner-shooting-review/

22. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

1 I'm pointing out that even trained cops need high cap mags.
    2 since they will be banned. How will I be compensated for what I akready own
    3 thanks for making the NRA stronger

24. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Point 1. It was a number of police shooting at two women armed with nothing more than a stack of newspapers while on a statewide manhunt for a dangerous suspect.

If you find yourself in the womens position, you could have an RPG and a minigun in the back, and it wouldn't do a thing to save you. You're going to be driving along, then suddenly 5 guys are firing into vehicle. You're dead before you'll even be able to say "ohshi, better get m..."

If you find yourself in the opposite situation, either you're working with local law enforcement in some official capacity, which means they'll probably give you a higher cap weapon. Or you're the crazy guy they're hunting, which would be total justification for the ban.

Point 2. Good question, though I doubt very seriously this ban will pass.

Point 3. D'wuh?

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

1 not wise to shoot back at cops. You are better off wishing they miss, even cops don't have mini guns of RPGs
    2 thank God and the NRA
    3 :D