"They deserve a vote" (gun control, again)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Feb 13, 2013.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Nice rhetoric and emotional finish, but I can see politicians proposing bills so extreme that the majority in congress cannot accept and gets voted down across party lines.

It is an obvious trap Obama set up, but it can backfire.

OTOH, his request was gun control was not specific, except for stronger background checks and expanded straw purchase laws, nothing more specific (only implied).
    Transcript here.
    Last sentence is somewhat funny, as proposed laws will likely cause police to be banned from such weapons they might need, as New York did with its recent law.

Emotional speeches are not going to produce successful controls.

I feel sorry for the victims.

2. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

There is a reason none of these recent bills have not been brought to a vote; they are so off the scale extreme that they don't have the support.

Not all proposed idiocy deserves a vote, and yes these recent proposals have all been idiotic.

Obama should actually lead on this and propose legislation that can pass and become law rather than leaving it to dim goons like Feinswine and McCarthy.

3. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Well if they really want to do a vote on Feinstein's bill I say go ahead because that thing isn't going anywhere. There are even a whole bunch of Democrats from red or moderate states that won't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

4. Squadleader macrumors regular

Fienstein or her proposal..?? :p

5. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

It was a moving speech, but, at the end of the day, the NRA has the House in its pocket. Everybody knows that any nail sticking its head up is going to get hammered.

6. Squadleader macrumors regular

Interesting observation....Does the NRA hold Harry Reid in their pocket as well...Cuz I dont see ANY legislation coming from that side of building...:cool: