Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
…but I can't tell!

2018-09-07 14.51.50.png

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
I turned my furnace on for a couple of cycles yesterday, and as I sip my morning coffee it's running for a bit.:)
Right now it's a tad over 50F outside.

Reactions: LizKat

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I should have waited to post that screenshot. We hit 106º a little while later.

Today…107º.

I envy you James!

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
We (Houston) got a cold front, high today 86 degrees. Projetected high tomorrow 81. :)

We started out at less than half that this morning... even now we're not doing much better. Whatever happened to the idea of a "happy medium" ?! I'd gladly settle for the mid-60s right about now. Could do without the 3" of rain we're to get next couple days too. I'm going back to bed until Wednesday. :D

Summer Got Out of the Barn.jpg

Reactions: Huntn and eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Good grief! That is over the top. I hope you don't also suffer with ugly winters as well.

BTW, love your wallpaper! It reminds me of my favorite painting:

View attachment 780429
Winters are mild. Mainly sweatshirts and a jacket. We average around 50º or so but it does get cold towards the end of January. Been in Phoenix for 18 years now and never seen any snow, although it does get cold enough for ice sometimes.

Shorts in December is the tradeoff for 100º+ heat from April to October. :)

Wallpaper was an image I found while Googling. It's a church in Croatia I think. I just used a bit of Photoshop on it. :)

[doublepost=1536510667][/doublepost]
It's not. Yet. Not until the 22nd. :)
That's not what Starbucks (PSL) says, LOL! :D
[doublepost=1536510987][/doublepost]
Could do without the 3" of rain we're to get next couple days too.
Rain?

Describe this mythical weather phenomenon you speak of!

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
It's been in the 60s here since Saturday. Finally warming back up to the 80's tomorrow.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
We (Houston) got a cold front, high today 86 degrees. Projetected high tomorrow 81. :)
We were at 75 degrees this morning. Before sunrise. We'll be at 100 in a few hours.
[doublepost=1536609410][/doublepost]
Rain?

It's like a shower, but outdoors, or so I've heard.

Reactions: Huntn and eyoungren

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Agreed. It was 100+F yesterday close to LA. We moved down from the high desert and ... we have AC for the first time in 3 years (swamp cooler only). It was nice keeping the house at 74F all day yesterday. Was only 28kwhr used too. :p

Reactions: yaxomoxay

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Been getting alot of rain, now in the 70s! :)
[doublepost=1536624702][/doublepost]
Freezing at 77 here in DFW. Can’t stand this cold!!!
My Dad who is a warm weather wimp, says when it hits 70, it’s sweater weather. The only alarming thing about it is, I frequently take a jacket into the restaurant and movie theater to ward off the AC. :oops:
[doublepost=1536624782][/doublepost]
Agreed. It was 100+F yesterday close to LA. We moved down from the high desert and ... we have AC for the first time in 3 years (swamp cooler only). It was nice keeping the house at 74F all day yesterday. Was only 28kwhr used too. :p
Do swamp coolers lower the humidity in the house? That might work in dry climates, but I shudder to think about a place like Florida.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
Been getting alot of rain, now in the 70s! :)
[doublepost=1536624702][/doublepost]
My Dad who is a warm weather wimp, says when it hits 70, it’s sweater weather. The only alarming thing about it is, I frequently take a jacket into the restaurant and movie theater to ward off the AC. :oops:
[doublepost=1536624782][/doublepost]
Do swamp coolers lower the humidity in the house? That might work in dry climates, but I shudder to think about a place like Florida.
I cool my house to 78 when it's 100+ outside. Work typically cools things to the low 70s, so I have my summer jacket.

No, swamp coolers add humidity in the house. At a previous residence, they'd get us down to nearly 80 when it was 100+ and humid outside. They work in dry, hot locations, so i don't expect them to work in Florida.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I cool my house to 78 when it's 100+ outside. Work typically cools things to the low 70s, so I have my summer jacket.

No, swamp coolers add humidity in the house. At a previous residence, they'd get us down to nearly 80 when it was 100+ and humid outside. They work in dry, hot locations, so i don't expect them to work in Florida.
The Tampa Airport terminal in the last 10-20 years used a swamp cooler for at least partial cooling of the passenger terminal or something... ;)

BorderingOn

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2016
BaseCamp Pro
Winters are mild. Mainly sweatshirts and a jacket. We average around 50º or so but it does get cold towards the end of January. Been in Phoenix for 18 years now and never seen any snow, although it does get cold enough for ice sometimes.

Shorts in December is the tradeoff for 100º+ heat from April to October. :)

Wallpaper was an image I found while Googling. It's a church in Croatia I think. I just used a bit of Photoshop on it. :)

Rain?

Come on now. Nobody does rain better than us. It’s just that a month’s worth of rain comes in an hour. Not that easy to forget for those in poor drainage areas.
[doublepost=1536627449][/doublepost]
Freezing at 77 here in DFW. Can’t stand this cold!!!

That’s parka weather.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Come on now. Nobody does rain better than us. It’s just that a month’s worth of rain comes in an hour. Not that easy to forget for those in poor drainage areas.
LOL!

I live in the far West Valley. ;)

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
The Tampa Airport terminal in the last 10-20 years used a swamp cooler for at least partial cooling of the passenger terminal or something... ;)
They are very inexpensive to run, and work great in low humidity. In Arizona, many folks use them from April till about June when they stop being as effective.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012

Sorry for late reply. Yeah, other posters are right. Only works in SUPER dry climates. If it's cloudy? Swamp cooler doesn't work at all. Where I used to live for 7 years until last month, the california high desert, humidity is usually in the low teens. Swamp works perfect. Many people out here, due to poverty, only have a swamp cooler. The last house I rented, swamp only.

See attachment - today's forecast on weather underground. (Note Humidity).

Humidity.JPG

This year, however, first time in the 10+ years I've worked up here, we had months of 60% humidity. It was MISERABLE. 94F in the house and there was nothing I could do about it.

So few days ago when it was 100F+? We had the AC set to 74 and my wife and I were so happy. lol. We normally keep it at 76-78F and looks like our electric bill will be $80. (We live an hour closer to LA now). (We live in Upland, California right off the i-10 now with 40-60% humidity).
[doublepost=1536679777][/doublepost]

Partial cooling is about right. At BEST you expect -25F from outside. Open a window on the other side of the house and hope you're in the breezeway. :p
[doublepost=1536679881][/doublepost]
Nobody does rain better than us. We are almost always the rainiest city in the country - even in years when we don't get hurricanes!

Love the rain. Wish it would rain all the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Nobody does rain better than us. We are almost always the rainiest city in the country - even in years when we don't get hurricanes!

The ones who are not habitually prepared for it though are the ones who get surprised by how lethal water can be when it will have its way. People who drive into a washed out culvert thinking it's just a puddle across the road instead of a 30-foot-deep pond.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I love the rain also. Especially at night when I'm falling asleep. But those drenching downpours where visibility is nil and you have to get from point A to point B....ugh.

I've only experienced this a few times in Iowa/Wisconsin when I used to live there. Rained so hard I couldn't see the road from the car. But most of my life experience is in CA where light drizzle for 10 mins is considered heavy rain. :)

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I've only experienced this a few times in Iowa/Wisconsin when I used to live there. Rained so hard I couldn't see the road from the car. But most of my life experience is in CA where light drizzle for 10 mins is considered heavy rain. :)

Oh it never rains in southern California!

They left out the verse about it always raining in Mobile Alabama.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.