They may start taxing the internet/email

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stubeeef, Oct 23, 2007.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Well don't know what happened there...I saw my post and then it wasn't there...here it is again..

Seems the government may need to find more money to support all its bad habits, since we all seem to be under taxed here is something that needs the attention of those wanting to keep emails and such tax free. Regardless of wether or not you want to blame the Republicans for their lack of stewardship, or the Dems on their eagerness to grow government, or both on their ineptness, this is not a tax that should happen, IMHO.

http://councilfor.cagw.org/site/PageServer?pagename=CCAGW_getinv_Advocacy_internettaxban_IssuePage

2. Schnebar macrumors 6502

They as in who?

The current government or certain candidates?

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Are we supposed to understand the purpose of this thread?

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I think he'll finish his post once he raises enough money to pay for the rest of it.

Darn taxes.

5. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

sorry about the original post....fixed it, thanks.

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The misleading headline is a good indication. Disinformation? Mock outrage?

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Are there really people out there that want to tax the internet?
    Please show your face so I can throw an egg at it. :p

8. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

The sky is blue.

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The moratorium will be extended. And again and again. It doesn't need to have the symbolic gesture of being made "permanent". Extending it but not making it permanent does not fill out the sensationalism of "they may start!" because even if they were to make it permanent now there's nothing stopping them from changing the law any time they saw fit.

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Aren't they already taxing ISPs? I think I pay like 44 a month for Comcast internet.

In Michigan they just passed a new tax on services.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Apparently the Democrats want to raise taxes. Even though, in this case at least, that isn't happening at all. The real story is about Net Neutrality, but many of those same people who have a problem with this are ok with that because the GOP was. Or the Dems aren't. Whichever.

Wondering why the Repubs didn't go ahead and make it permanent either when they had the chance though.

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't know what is or isn't happening, why, what effect it might or might not have, or who is or is not doing it -- but I'm worried and outraged anyway and feel the need to take immediate action to stop it, and can't for the life of me understand why everyone doesn't feel exactly the same way. Don't just do something, stand there!

13. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i hope we don't see email taxes, it will really cut me off with long gone friends that i can't see anymore...and i bet we'll see alot of outrage with this.

14. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Hype mongering from an interest group.

Nobody is suggesting taxing emails. That's a straw man.

The real issue is applying sales taxes evenly across the board on interstate orders of goods -- so Amazon can't get away with selling Macs sales-tax free.

15. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

The question then arises, which sales tax do you levy? If I, in Alabama, purchase a computer over the net from Amazon (in CA, IIRC), do I pay my own state's sales tax or California's sales tax? Some will argue place of purchase, some will argue place of primary use. When I was in Atlanta last month, I paid Georgia's taxes, even on merchandise for use here at home.

NB: Alabama currently requires anyone filing a state tax return to declare the aggregate value of all internet purchases for that year and pay 4% sales tax (the state-level levy).

16. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

You only pay 4 percent for state sales tax? Wow, long shot from my wonderful Los Angeles sales tax of 8.25 percent.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'd rather sit, thank you. Maybe even lie down for a spell. I'm lazy like that.

That's not going to happen, but this group wants you to think it will.

18. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Actually here in Tuscaloosa, we pay 9%. 4% goes to the state, 4% to the county, and 1% to the city. The flipside is that we have some of the lowest property taxes in the country.

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

reuters

Thread Solved. :)

20. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

As Apple does -- the tax of the delivery address.
    That of course puts a large burden onto the seller to maintain tax tables and make remittances to all states.

Or if legislated, the tax of the seller's state, with a revenue sharing agreement between states. Complex in the other direction.

Of course in Canada we have a federal value added tax, which is applied across the board, so that is a third option, but may not be doable in the USA.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm surprised Ted Stevens dares to make any more statements about the series of tubes email moves through...