They say never say never, but does anyone else here ever see themselves switching from the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hieveryone, May 13, 2017.

?

Do you see yourself as a loyal iPhone user?

This poll will close on Jan 18, 2018 at 9:05 PM.
  1. Heck yeah!

2. I'm not loyal to iPhone; I could switch at anytime

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Look, as an iPhone owner since the 3G, I have to admit there's a lot that makes me jealous when I see the new S8.

The infinity display, DEX which basically lets you connect your phone to an external monitor and use it like a computer, and you can even attach a physical keyboard to the Samsung S8 and the implementation looks pretty solid.

And while it's unfortunate that we don't have such features provided to use from Apple at this point, I still can't seem to switch.

For example, 3D Touch is essential for me. Live Photos are magical, and I absolutely cannot, will not, and completely refuse to ever give up such a magical feature. It makes my photos come to life.

I'm writing this post with some frustration, bc there's so much in the Galaxy S8 that really makes it incredible.

But is anyone else with me on sticking with Apple?

P.S. I really like the idea of buying American and supporting American companies. So that gives me some sense of happiness too.

2. Bojan macrumors member

Bojan

Yea, as soon as there is a better ecosystem. I didn't buy iPhone because of iPhone, but because of seamlessness that it has with the watch, laptop, iPad and tv.

3. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I feel like, if Android got the equivalent of iMessage, that might make me test the waters. I currently am lusting after the LG V20 but just can't quite bring myself to leave my trusty 6s plus.

Also, I use force touch for text editing ALL the time and love it. So easy to move the cursor quickly and accurately.

I'm really tempted to try the V20 but keep chickening out. It's like meeting a beautiful, fun and exciting new woman but you love your loyal, trustworthy and still attractive wife. Cheat on Apple. Maybe. Just maybe.

4. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

It is hard to imagine... I keep up with the Android forums (used to be a big Android guy), and folks there seem more and more dissatisfied with the platform. I see lot of begrudging respect for Apple, whereas there used to be mainly hostility. And it seems like the things iOS does significantly better than Android, it is still doing significantly better than Android... Google and the OEM's are apparently not bridging that gap.

5. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

What about iMessage is so important to you?

I used to be afraid nobody would text me if I stopped using iMessage bc I don't know whether or not they have a text messaging plan, but from what I understand I think most people, at least the young people I know, they have unlimited texts. Not sure if that's true for everyone but from what I've heard and understand unlimited text is more common now than before, but I'm not sure. Hopefully someone can confirm/give their feedback on this issue.

6. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

iMessages are fast. I know when they are delivered. Sometimes I know when they've been read. On Android I had -3- phones on 2 carriers and all of them had the same issue - they handled texts badly. Groups texts meant many messages were delayed by hours if not days if they ever came at all, and almost every week at least a few texts would show up 1 hour-2 days late from when they were sent. This was back when the HTC One m7, Nexus 5, and Oneplus one was new though, so I haven't tried Android since. But in regards to your question, no I wouldn't switch to Android at least. If Microsoft seriously stepped up their game or another really good OS was introduced i'd consider, but switching to Android really showed me the value of "it just works" in a crucial communication device. This isn't some machine I have plugged into the wall at home, this is something that I might need in the middle of nowhere and I'd prefer it to be as easy, simple and elegant as possible.

7. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

I agree that "it just works" is very important for smartphones especially.

If you want to stay relevant in 2017, you better keep your phone charged and near you at all times lol.

Touch wood but my iPhone has been a solid performer.

8. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Adding to what acorntoy mentioned, iMessage works over wifi. In other words, if I have no cell signal, I can still send and receive texts. Also, I really like being able to see when someone is replying to me (dots) and know that they can see the same. Helps to avoid disjointed conversations where you're "talking over" each other. iMessage is just elegant, reliable and useful IMO.

9. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah iMessage is pretty sweet for sure. The "talking over" point you made is so true.

10. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Since acquiring the original iPhone in 2007 and acquiring every model since then, I've actually tried a few different phones for a few months each.

Those would be the BlackBerry Storms, Samsung S4, and a Samsung S7 Edge.

No matter how much I like some of the plusses of other maker's phones, iPhone in the end is really what Apple strives for....A seamless user experience in the Apple ecosystem.

Apple is even trying harder to make cross-platform usage a better experience, too.

11. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Although I have owned pretty much every model iPhone since the original I have also used plenty of Android phones (and the odd Windows one): I'm not tied to any provider and tend to go with what I feel is the best at any particular time

At the moment, my main phone is the S8 because for me and my use I think it's better than anything Apple currently offer.

That may change in the future and if iOS offers a better fit for my requirements then I'll move back - I don't see the need to tie myself in to a sibgle platform

12. Geert76, May 14, 2017
    Last edited: May 14, 2017

Geert76 macrumors 65816

I made the switch to the Samsung S8 about 3 weeks ago, after owning every iPhone since 2012.
    I have several Apple device at home, and I do not miss anything now I am not using my iPhone 7 anymore.

My workflow with the S8 is still nearly similar as when I used my iPhone 7. Heck, after all those years with my iPhones I noticed that I can be much, much more productive with my new S8 then with any of my iPhones before.
    It's a breathe to do use a phone to your needs with hardly any boundaries, compared to the iPhone where Apple decides what but farmost, you can NOT do with your OWN phone.

And I can asure you, Samsung came from very very far with their new flagship this year. I feel Samsung is catching up very fast to the smoothness of iOS.
    I see hardly any lag. Maybe one of my apps on the S8 opens about 0,003 seconds slower than on my iPhone 7, but I can live with that ;)

I am quit borred with iOS/iPhone after all those years. I was worried I could not leave the Apple eco system, maybe this was true in the past, nowadays you can perfectly fine work cross-platform with all the modern cloud services out there.

edit: I read that a lot of people are completely tied into iMessage, in that case it will maybe be a tough job switching platforms. But then again, buying a $1000+ (price rumors for the base model iPhone 8 later this year) phone cause you can not leave iMessage, would be a waste of money, in my very honest opinion.
    That would mean you could never ever leave iOS. So you let a company (Apple) decide which phone/brand you will get, and let the decision take of your own control.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.