They're laughing at us

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Jun 26, 2017.

1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

A Pew international poll shows how steeply world opinion of America and our president has dropped.

[​IMG]

Mostly because of trump ...

[​IMG]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...12026319da7_story.html?utm_term=.676197037022

Now you don't have to be a genius to anticipate conservative reaction to this ...

Who cares what they think?

Are these the same polls that said trump would lose?

Etc.

But this points to a problem that can't be ignored. Trump campaigned on making smart diplomatic decisions and being able to negotiate deals that no other president could make. These poll results, however, show that the rest of the world isn't falling for his sales pitch. Quite the contrary ... they hate and distrust him.

So does trump have the world right where he wants it? Do any conservatives care about how the U.S. is perceived on the international stage? Is there anything that he could conceivably do to turn this negativity around?

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I don't think you understand that the right likes being seen as arrogant egotistical jerks to the world. This is actually a win on the right. The left is the side concerned with the global image of the US because they are banking on some type of global "koombiya" in 30+ years. The US's enemies also like it when they get soft, Russia took over part of a soverign country under Obama's watch.

3. 0007776 Suspended

Obama did a lot to restore our standing in the world after Bush. Hopefully whoever comes after Trump will do the same.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The world turned to **** under Obama. ISIS (jv team) took over the ME, Russia annexing sovereign nations, NK being able to fire rockets that potentially have nukes on them, Iran getting a blank check, Syria turning to ****.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Like bomb my the crap out of the M-E?
    --- Post Merged, Jun 26, 2017 ---
    You forgot Libya. 1000's dead and MILLIONS displaced

6. mac_in_tosh macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

Bush - 9/11, disastrous Iraq war, financial crisis, etc. Stuff happens under every president.

As for laughing at us, did you all hear the open mic recording of the Australian prime minister mocking Trump?

7. citizenzen, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017

citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

I would argue that it's our allies, like NATO, that makes us stronger.

And trump has made that alliance and the U.S. weaker through his blundering and boorish diplomacy.

8. Rigby macrumors 601

What's the problem? According to Trump, the people of Crimea want to be with Russia anyway, and he's considering to recognize it as Russian territory. Not to mention lifting the harsh sanctions that Obama put in place (which, BTW, wouldn't have been possible without the support of our international allies).

http://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/trum...ussia-elected-putin-ukraine/story?id=41029437

9. Populism Suspended

Populism

Jesus - I can think of no other time in history that I'd rather have "the world" look at my country as being the odd man out - the "punch line" - and "laugh at us".

Good lord - if you're actually worried (which you aren't) about the US being a special snowflake in the Global Ha-Ha Amateur Hour, then petition Pew Research. Tell 'em what they're gettin' wrong.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

You left one out..

At least it isn't Hillary. :rolleyes:

Apparently, those are going to be the de facto answers when confronted with stats that are contrary to what they believe.

BL.

11. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

I left out a lot. But I knew you guys would fill in.
    I have no idea why you believe this.

It would seem as vital a time as ever to have good relations and credibility around the world.

12. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Let me know when they quit depending on our military to defend them.

13. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

[​IMG]

14. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Bombing 7 nations, destabilizing the middle east, and murdering countless civilians is restoring standing in the world?

You jest...

15. Populism Suspended

Populism

We believe you - that you have no idea.

16. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

As usual,Americans believe they rule the world. The best way for you guys to gain true international respect would be:
    Raise your contribution to refugees and support for poor third world countries
    Set all your military outside US territory under UN command
    Get yourself a president that knows his job.
    With these simple steps,you might get respect and understanding in a way that you never had before.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

No thanks. You guys can keep the refugees :D

18. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Nothing wrong with getting along with the rest of the world. If we could only model our healthcare after just about every civilized nation in the world....

Your Obama comment is comical. Latest soundbite to deflect Trump's involvement.

"A new poll from the Pew Research Center has found that Donald Trump's presidency is strongly and negatively impacting how the rest of the world views the United States"

19. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

And Americans wonder why people laugh at them? From what I heard,your resistance against immigrants caused a major lack of employees for agricultural work,which means that parts of your crops is left to rotten in the fields instead of being used. If that happened here,we would be ashamed.

20. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

You take our illegal Mexicans and we will take your refugees. Fair?

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I don't blame them, even I'm laughing at us.

22. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Two words. Lazy Americans. Or rather LazyBoy Americans. It's embarrassing and we'd rather not talk about it....

We have this sense of entitlement. I think they call it Populism nowadays, even though Corporations have all the power and are getting all the tax breaks. Don't bother trying to explain it to the average citizen, they are up to their ears in partisan politics.

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

We have no shame. So laugh while you take I the refugees.
    End welfare and make them work :D

24. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Do you look down upon the poor? Do you think they are somehow waiting for a handout? Do you think they are where they are by choice, and their situation it is all due to their inability to get off the sofa and find a job?

25. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Just around the 1980s, after you were done playing "Who can be the biggest bully?" with USSR, thank you very much.